LEO Handgun Buyback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    this blows me away! I would think the dept would at least provide practice ammo so that the officers remain proficient.
    I think that a majority of police departments (maybe vast majority) do not issue weapons. Some do not issue duty ammo and I would guess that almost none issue practice ammo.

My agency issues all duty and qualification ammo. All firearms and practice ammo are self purchases except for SWAT.

Comment

Originally posted by tdbduckhunter View Post
      Not to hijack thread, but I see a lot of you saying you would not buy the service pistol the department gave you. In you all’s humble opinion which is the best pistol, most reliable out there?
      Thank you all for your service. I respect all LEO.
      The best is very subjective. The most reliable is the Glock in my opinion.

Comment

I dont like Glocks to shoot but will say they function. The angle they are built just doesnt point well for me as a shooter

Comment

I'm a Glock fan. No safety (other than the trigger), easy to disassemble and clean, and reliable. Our department went to issuing all firearms and duty ammo and mandated the Glock 22 for various reasons. That was over 20 years ago so I don't know if that's still the case.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            If you dont have the money set aside go work a EJ or two.
            Glen, I appreciate it. Not sure what the climate is where you are but our XJ opportunities are much slimmer than at any other time I can remember. Just not a lot out there. As far as money goes.....I didn't budget for it but I can move some stuff around to make it happen. I was more interested in what everyone else's thoughts were.

Comment

I assume they give you a list of guns and ammo that are "approved"

Buy it is IMHO. I always say its an investment. I can flip it and get my money back any day. I just seem to buy way more than I ever flip....

Comment

I bought mine and sold it for twice what I paid for it

Comment

Originally posted by tdbduckhunter View Post
                  Not to hijack thread, but I see a lot of you saying you would not buy the service pistol the department gave you. In you all’s humble opinion which is the best pistol, most reliable out there?
                  Thank you all for your service. I respect all LEO.

I have carried Glocks my whole career due to their reliability. My first department was choice carry. I purchased and carried a Glock 22. Was looking to upgrade in 2010 when I was run over and dragged by a crackhead in a stolen car. My gun was chewed up pretty good and has some nasty scratches as a result. I cleaned the sharp edges up with a sanding sponge and a file. I never doubted that my gun would still work. Gun still does exactly what it was designed to do and goes boom everytime. After seeing my old ugly Glock all scratched up, I decided I didnt want to do that to a Sig Platinum Elite.

Glocks are the AK-47s of duty weapon world and are super reliable. They are easy to use and not hard to use well. Very simple operation which is nice for Oh "$#!+" moments. We are currently moving from the Glock 21 SF .45 to the Glock 17 Gen5 in 9mm.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                    The best is very subjective. The most reliable is the Glock in my opinion.
                    Exactly, you can't hardly stop them! They are ugly but use em abuse em and keep on rolling! I resisted them for years but finally traded my colt 1911 for a model 21. Carried that the last 10 years or so till I retired. In retired life I carry my model 19. Both easy to carry, easy to shoot, and easy to take care of.

Comment

Do you get a good deal when you buy them back?

Comment

Originally posted by Txprowler View Post
                        Do you get a good deal when you buy them back?
                        Considering what we can buy Glock Blue Label (Police Handguns) for its not really a great deal. I can pick up a new Glock 22 for $455, this one will cost me around $380-400 pretax.

Now granted....it's my duty gun so it has been very well maintained and treated pretty good. It was new when it was issued.

It looks like when they are in-stock the public can pick up police trade-ins at a bit of a better price than I am getting.

Comment

You can’t put a price on sentimental items. I’m not an officer, but if it meant something to me I’d be willing to take a small loss to keep it. You won’t remember the extra 100$ it would cost to have it on down the road

Comment

I had the opportunity to buy a 6” Colt Python from my previous agency for $350. To this day I’m still kicking myself in the rear for not doing it.

Comment

I've bought two previous 1911's from my department. The Colt was even factory stamped with my department on the slide. We since have gone to the Glock 34 with a Aimpoint ACRO RDS. I would purchase it if you can find the income. For us, the department sells them to a vendor who will sell them back to officers who want them, all at below market value.

It's mind boggling departments don't provide firearms training much less training ammo for sworn officers. Guess we are fortunate in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Crookhunter View Post
                                For us, the department sells them to a vendor who will sell them back to officers who want them, all at below market value.
                                That's what we are doing. GT is handling the "transfer" via Department Letterhead.

Comment

Working...
                                X