12 gauge advice for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 gauge advice for my daughter

My daughter (in my avatar) has continued to enjoy duck hunting. She’s been using a 20 gauge o/u.

I’d like to get her a 12 gauge.

Could use some advice on recoil ....barrel length....semi vs pump...etc.

She can handle a 12 on recoil...but i think some guns help reduce the felt recoil.

What do some if you duck hunters think would be the best choice?

Never have shot a duck but I've shot different 12 gauges. A semi automatic doesn't kick near as bad as a pump gun or a break barrel.

Comment

Gas driven semi auto would have the lighter recoil. I enjoy my inertia driven stoeger, but I can really feel the 3" shells after a few misses

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

1187 Rem would be hard to beat.

Comment

Gas guns are your answer. Beretta is IMO the best option. They make several variants and have made quality gas guns for decades. My favorite is a mid 90s 390 that is my go to gun and my A400 20ga is a close second. Fabarm also makes a gas semi. I ordered a fabarm waterfowler but it’s not made it here yet so no review on that yet.

Comment

I coach 4-H and SCTP kids. We recommend the A400 and A300 Beretta to young shooters. You can cut the stock down and add spacers as they grow. The most important part of managing felt recoil is gun fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
              Gas guns are your answer. Beretta is IMO the best option. They make several variants and have made quality gas guns for decades. My favorite is a mid 90s 390 that is my go to gun and my A400 20ga is a close second. Fabarm also makes a gas semi. I ordered a fabarm waterfowler but it’s not made it here yet so no review on that yet.
              I'm a 390 guy, have four. My 15yr old is shooting the XLR5 LR Fabarm. I'm impressed with the Fabarm. It is too heavy for young shooters. The Fabarm L4S is also a good option for the OP.
              Last edited by Gherkin05; 01-01-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                I'm a 390 guy, have four. My 15yr old is shooting the XLR5 LR Fabarm. I'm impressed with the Fabarm. It is too heavy for young shooters. The Fabarm L4S is also a good option for the OP.

Glad to hear. I’m 6’5” so I like the added weight, keeps me from swinging too quickly and smooths things out...I have arms like an orangutan so the longer heavier guns fit better.

Comment

Benelli M2 Compact 12ga. The biggest thing is the fit. Females have different frames and often need a shorter LOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For a female I would go gas assisted over inertia recoil.... and I'd stick with a 20 but I shoot 20s at everything myself. That being said if you have to go 12 ga, I would look at Berettas, Winchesters, and Brownings because they are gas assisted. I love my Benellis but they have the inertia thump some recoil sensitive folks don't care for.

Comment

A 12 gauge gas operated gun will kick less than a o/u 20 gauge all day long.
                      I would lean Beretta.

Comment

Try and 870

The problem with 90% of 12 gauges is that they are built for men. The next problem is not many companies make a youth 12g either. The LOP is going to be way too long and there’s nothing worse than a bad fitting duck gun. Without spending 2k for a custom fit/stock you won’t have too many options. I got my wife a 870 and swapped out the stock with a magpul stock. It’s got lots of room for adjustment, and it’s a $300 shotgun that goes bang every time. For a dedicated duck gun have it ceracoated and you’re good to go.

Jason Slocum
                        Last edited by Jason Slocum; 01-01-2021, 10:45 PM. Reason: Added content

Comment

My daughter has a Beretta A300 Outlander. I would highly recommend it, she has gone a couple times crane hunting and has no problem shooting 3 inch shells.

Comment

I have read that the Browning Silver is supposed to have lightest recoil on the market. I have the beretta Xplora unico with the kick off. It has very little recoil. I personally do not like the feel of how the gun fits me. I really like my Benelli Montfeltro as well as my Benelli M2. Very light on recoil. Benelli seems to feel more slender in fit.

Comment

Beretta A300 Outlander. Comes with stock spacers. My boy starred shooting his at 10yr old and he was a little sucker. Probably have 10,000 rds thru it and it has never missed a lick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X