Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pigs gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigs gone

Probably a dumb question but...before the season and up until mid November we were over run with pigs. Had at least 3 sounders with about 20 in each. They hit the feeders like clockwork. Why is it now we've only seen a lone boar here and there.
    I've heard that once they figure out humans are frequenting the area they move on. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
    Probably a dumb question but...before the season and up until mid November we were over run with pigs. Had at least 3 sounders with about 20 in each. They hit the feeders like clockwork. Why is it now we've only seen a lone boar here and there.
    I've heard that once they figure out humans are frequenting the area they move on. Anyone else experience this?

It takes very little to pressure them off. I had had sounders hit a feeder everyday for weeks. This was the case one time, and I happened to walk up on them one afternoon. They scattered and I never saw them again. Could be as simple as a stray dog running them off.

Comment

Ours move around quit a bit, some months they are here and next they are gone. They'll be back.

Comment

Lots more neighboring feeders, running this time of year also. They do the same thing on our place, like clockwork all summer and early fall. Then hit or miss during the season, they will be back.

Comment

They are still there I bet .
          No one but me and my brother has killed any since the beginning of archery season.
          They will barely come to a feeder.
          Have killed 14 since the beginning of archery season
          I walk areas I know they like 45 min before dark.
          Before season I would typically see 60+ 3-4 Sounders driving the road to the bottoms

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post

No, but tell me what you’re doing so I can do it too !

Comment

I'm going to say they were trapped, we have it happen on our place for years big groups would just stop showing up on camera. Started talking to the neighbor and they were trapping them in a big pen periodically, which I was all for want them gone as they mess up the deer hunting. The thing with pigs though they always seem to re-load, I've seen this cycle happen a dozen times over the last 9 years.

Comment

I bet they are still there, just nocturnal.

Comment

Our pigs move with the water. When it gets really dry, the go to the bottoms where the creek water runs, when it rains, they come up top where the crops are. . .

Comment

They are nomadic. Give it a week or three and you'll be set for more killing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
                      Lots more neighboring feeders, running this time of year also. They do the same thing on our place, like clockwork all summer and early fall. Then hit or miss during the season, they will be back.
                      That was going to be my comment as well. Pigs practically disappear from our place about mid October and return in late January/early February. I've always thought it is because the pigs are more scattered when all the neighbors start feeding leading up to deer season. We continue to throw corn year round and they don't so once their feeders run out they come back.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        That was going to be my comment as well. Pigs practically disappear from our place about mid October and return in late January/early February. I've always thought it is because the pigs are more scattered when all the neighbors start feeding leading up to deer season. We continue to throw corn year round and they don't so once their feeders run out they come back.
                        That was always my experience on our Llano ranch. Our new place seems to hold the same group of pigs since we bought it in early September. We might see an influx in the spring. I agree with the comment above that pressured pigs move on quicker than deer do. That has been my experience everywhere I've hunted.

Comment

Our pig population has dropped too. That being said, our neighbors are running their feeders like drunken sailors for 10 seconds a pop (2x's a day), so we figured the pigs are over there. They'll be back in January when these hunters depart until next October.

We are cool with this, as the deer are on our properrty avoiding the aggressive pigs.

Comment

Pigs are smart.

Comment

Enjoy it while you can, because them sorry bastages will be back pretty soon. When they show back up, try as hard as you can to kill every **** one of them.......

Comment

Working...
                              X