Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t worry they will be back!

Comment

I had them at my place in RS almost every night during bow season and through early to mid November. But now only a big black boar comes around at odd hours of the night. I do feed corn and alfalfa year around and provide water as well. I’ve only seen piggies twice during daylight hours at my place on camera and once in person. I strictly bow hunt and never hunt the same stand twice in a given weekend. I did notice this occurrence last season where all the piggies disappeared in mid Oct and reappeared in late Feb. I’m just itching to shoot a piggy at my place.....one of these days lol.
      Last edited by joel45acp; 12-17-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Humans frequenting an area probably would make them more nocturnal as compared to running them out of the area. Seems hogs turn nocturnal during deer season for that very reason.

I agree with a few others. If you have people hunting neighboring properties, corn is probably being slung all over the place, so the abundance of food source probably has them scattered.

I also agree with the comments regarding water. We hunted a place for a few years that had a seasonal creek. On wet years, we were literally covered with hogs. In the drought years, you would be lucky to see one as they would be further down in the bottoms closer to water.

Comment

Count your blessings!!

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
            Probably a dumb question but...before the season and up until mid November we were over run with pigs. Had at least 3 sounders with about 20 in each. They hit the feeders like clockwork. Why is it now we've only seen a lone boar here and there.
            I've heard that once they figure out humans are frequenting the area they move on. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
            This must be where all my hogs came from all of a sudden. Lots of black ones, some really big, with a few brown spotted ones? Yep, that's them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Count your blessings!!
              I actually prefer hog hunting over deer hunting any day. A big toothy boar gets my not so old heart pumping real quick. In all honesty, if I had the choice between a trophy buck say 150pt or a 200lbs boar with cutters, well let’s just say I’d be having pork chops way before backstraps lol.

Comment

Man, we have so many if you bust a sounder another one will move in and take their place. I have found the best way to run them off is to get out and put a stalk on them mid-day when they are bedded down and shoot into them while they are sleeping. Kind of a corollary to shooting turkeys off the roost. They gone! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                  I actually prefer hog hunting over deer hunting any day. A big toothy boar gets my not so old heart pumping real quick. In all honesty, if I had the choice between a trophy buck say 150pt or a 200lbs boar with cutters, well let’s just say I’d be having pork chops way before backstraps lol.
                  Lol... gotcha ... I hate them suckers! My pops shot a good one a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                    Pigs are smart.
                    very much so. Never knew that till I acquired land and set out cams.
                    Now the ones favoring my feeder/s are all nocturnal too, until we get a flood. Then they show up for a few days and that's it for the daylight visuals.
                    Time for a kill light!

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                      I bet they are still there, just nocturnal.
                      yep.

I was shooting 3 and 4 an evening till all the boomsticks came out. Now we're down to one a weekend.

Comment

I have killed 7, starting about 2 weeks before gun season, even 1 on opening morning. There are still a few but not many left. I killed one every time I saw them. 1400 pictures in 9 days and less than a dozen were pigs. Yes, I know that they will probably be back. I wasn`t just gonna let them keep running the deer off of the feeders. Now my problem is 3 "Bully' tom turkeys that aren`t afraid of the deer. I plan on putting one of them in the freezer in the next few weeks.

Comment

I wish my pigs would disappear! They chase off a lot of deer where I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
                            I wish my pigs would disappear! They chase off a lot of deer where I hunt.
                            I have no deer so piggies provide all my entertainment at my place in RS.

Comment

Mine dissapear for months at a time. Always have since they showed up 30 years ago. They simply move on to "greener" pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                                You are nuts, if I could make them all disappear I would they run the deer off. I need to find somone with good bucks that wants to trade for a trophy boar hunt, we have plenty.

Comment

Working...
                                X