No announcement yet.

Enforcing Javelina bag limits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang'em by the head and pull that skin back like a rabbit and the gland never touches the meat. I've had zero issues once skinned. The meat is fine and honestly, if you're not going to eat it don't shoot it.

I hang them in the cooler for a few days skinned like that then slow cook it and it's not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
      I don’t see why they don’t get more respect. We eat every single one we kill, plus take some that others don’t want. We still run out of sausage before next years hunt. We only kill our two, each but man I wish you were allowed more, that would be awesome. I just can’t believe people shoot them and leave them, I wouldn’t think of it. We spend hours sometimes tracking them, hate it when they don’t get recovered. Sausage and tamales are so good.
      Yes sir! I eat everyone I arrowed. Hunting Javi’s With a bow is one of my favorite hunting trips each year. The tenderloins are great marinated and grilled, tamales are always good as is the sausage that Cinnamon Creek prepares for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
        Yes sir! I eat everyone I arrowed. Hunting Javi’s With a bow is one of my favorite hunting trips each year. The tenderloins are great marinated and grilled, tamales are always good as is the sausage that Cinnamon Creek prepares for me.
        Yea, me to, I would rather bow hunt these things then any thing. It’s so much fun. It don’t look as though I am going to make it down this coming season ( feb or March is when they let us hunt them). SUCKS BIG TIME, just can’t find any one that wants to go down with me.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          There is no requirement that the quarters be maintained for a javelina like a deer or antelope in Texas...
          Do you have any more detail on this? The only part of the OA I can find on this is vague:
          It is an offense if a person intentionally takes or possesses a game bird, game animal, or a fish and intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, or with criminal negligence, fails to keep the edible portions in an edible condition.
          I'd say hams are edible-- I eat them.
          I know the part specifically for deer and pronghorn defining quarters and straps as the only required parts to be kept.
          Is there something I'm missing?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
            What does she charge ? Or what do most of you pay to have them made, just curious is all.
            We will be paying $10 per dozen for these. She usually charges more but discounted the price because we provided the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
              Do you have any more detail on this? The only part of the OA I can find on this is vague:

I know the part specifically for deer and pronghorn defining quarters and straps as the only required parts to be kept.

re-read what I posted... All I was saying is that you don't have to keep the quarters whole. You CAN de-bone them thus them being able to fit in a 2-gallon ziploc bag.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post

He was talking about boning one out in camp. He was saying that you can bone out a javelina in camp, and that you can’t bone out a deer or pronghorn in camp.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

**** things are almost as good as armadillo!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    He was talking about boning one out in camp. He was saying that you can bone out a javelina in camp, and that you can’t bone out a deer or pronghorn in camp.

Bisch

It's amazing how many people don't know this.

Comment

Man I’ve still not shot a javi!

Comment

I don’t do liver at all, I do eat doves, they are not my favorite, I would much rather eat javelina then doves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

I see— thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            re-read what I posted... All I was saying is that you don't have to keep the quarters whole. You CAN de-bone them thus them being able to fit in a 2-gallon ziploc bag.

I get it— misread your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              Sooooo, you ate javelina cooked by a gaggle of drunks that turned out bad and swore off it for life other than tamales?

Got it.

Id be interested in getting the tamale lady by me to make some with it.
                              And to be fair, the gaggle of drunks likely cleaned it while drunk and smeared that stank gland all over the meat.

Comment

I have one that looks like a pot bellied pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X