No announcement yet.

Lease Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep - 100% that is your buck until he shows up alive or dead.

If your committed enough to take the shot...your all in. You can't just say oppsies and try again.

Comment

I have seen this rule on all paid for deer type game ranches. We have never had this rule and it has never been an issue. However, to become a member you have to attend 2 work weekends then come up to hunt with us and have a unanimous member vote on. Most people that are questionable do not make it through the process.

If you have someone on the lease skirting the rules then this one is your least worry. How many deer are shot when nobody else is there, etc.? Have to trust your crew is doing what is best or it is a moot point.

We hear shots all the time that we could swear come from X stand but the way the sound travels around the hills/canyons you just can't count on it.

Next, we will hear about counting arrows and shot trackers at each stand.

Comment

We have that rule. You own that deer unless it shows up alive on camera again.

Comment

Nope keep shooting till u get one unless you as the shooter feel that way..
          Its just deer hunting for me..I cant seem to get that serious about it but that's just me

Comment

Just get a thermal. We found two deer last week that might not have been found otherwise. They probably aren't as good as a dog, but you'll find all those deer that are right by where you walked and didn't see it.

As far as the OPs question. If it's a rule, it's a rule. And it will probably make you think twice before taking a long shot.

Comment

never been on lease with that rule..But sounds fair enough...But I bet it makes a lots of LIARS...

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                100% draw blood it’s your deer
                This buck was shot buy a hunters kid and lost , father wasn’t happy that it ended his season , I found the chewed up skull 2 years later, 50 yards back in some heavy cactus from the blind
                That's tough when it's a kid, but I understand it. I wonder how many deer someone can shoot and fail to recover before it's too many if one isn't the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  We have that rule. You own that deer unless it shows up alive on camera again.
                  I hunted a place that had that rule but if the deer showed up alive it was now and forever your deer too! I really thought that was strange.

Comment

I like it. Our lease doesn’t have it and there’s been a couple of instances I wish we had.

Big deer or small. Doesn’t have to be a trophy. My wife shot a dinky cull last year and I made every effort that night to find the deer on my own. Back at camp several guys voiced that they wouldn’t even worry about it...I found the deer the next morning and she tagged it.

Thinking back it makes me wonder how many of those guys have just quit on a deer because it wasn’t a “trophy”.

Comment

I would add that if a dog is called out and can’t find the deer then it doesn’t count.
                      If the hunter chooses not to pay for a dog then it’s their deer.

If every possible option is used then it shouldn’t ruin the hunters season. Surely they are already disappointed in the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                        That's tough when it's a kid, but I understand it. I wonder how many deer someone can shoot and fail to recover before it's too many if one isn't the rule.
                        We called in a dog ( this is in the lease) , standard rule of thumb
                        Is the dog usually finds the deer if mortally wounded .
                        Usually if we can’t find the deer in 8+ hours it’s coyote eaten
                        And some of the time we can find the carcass with Cara Cara.
                        Mistakes happen sometimes, equipment failure, bad shot, ect
                        Losing a deer isn’t a death penalty/ unless you lose the blood track and then decline to call in the dogs

^^^^slabnabbin beat me typing ^^^^^
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-07-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
                          I would add that if a dog is called out and can’t find the deer then it doesn’t count.
                          If the hunter chooses not to pay for a dog then it’s their deer.

If every possible option is used then it shouldn’t ruin the hunters season. Surely they are already disappointed in the situation.

Shouldn’t ruin their hunting season? What happens during the years they don’t kill anything? Are they ruined? Doesn’t he have does? Pigs? Cull bucks? Lotta folks go a year or two occasionally, without killing a “trophy” or a buck at all. Some go much more than that. Not gonna get any tears from us about “the rest of the season” for a guy who messed up an opportunity .. It happens. Put your big boy britches on and learn from it for next year is what we say.

Comment

Have no problem with the rule if it’s stated up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Shouldn’t ruin their hunting season? What happens during the years they don’t kill anything? Are they ruined? Doesn’t he have does? Pigs? Cull bucks? Lotta folks go a year or two occasionally, without killing a “trophy” or a buck at all. Some go much more than that. Not gonna get any tears from us about “the rest of the season” for a guy who messed up an opportunity .. It happens. Put your big boy britches on and learn from it for next year is what we say.
                              This is exactly why we do not have the rule. I would say on an average year there are only one or two guys that shoot their allowable deer on our Junction lease.

We have two 80+-year-old men that have been on this lease for 50 years. Those two guys may not shoot a trophy for 5+ years. I would never tell one of them to not shoot what they want because they make a bad shot. Hell, one of them can barely hold his rifle up anymore so they are typically hunting together, only shoot does and hogs, etc. They are having more fun with the tradition and being outdoors/active. We occasionally have some kind of deer lease drama but it is usually about who clogged the toilet. This is not a trophy hunter lease but we do have a solid herd and a bunch of deer.

On our other place, my Cousin leases the entire property and we have about 4 regular hunters that are all family. We only take 1-3 bucks off that place a year as the junction property is 'No Women allowed' and the other guys take the wives up to Fredericksburg occasionally. My wife is team deer so I go bow hunt over there for a change in scenery from time to time.

This setup works for us. If that were a rule where I went hunting I would abide by it. I think it makes sense in many environments. Hard to argue that blood and hair does not equal dead at some point if hit by a high powered rifle regardless of location. I know some deer will live but I would say that is the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                                never been on lease with that rule..But sounds fair enough...But I bet it makes a lots of LIARS...
                                They are already liars.

Comment

Working...
                                X