• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
    This post makes the most sense
    I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      If you wait until after the rut to shoot them and have some buck genetics you want passed on you take a chance on killing the doe he bred. That's the main reason we tried to shoot them pre-rut.
      x2

Comment

How do you know the biggest buck has the best genetics? The younger bucks could easily have better genetics than the older biggest buck but hasn’t yet shown their potential due to age...assuming you really are improving the genetic makeup of your herd each year.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtner View Post
          How do you know the biggest buck has the best genetics? The younger bucks could easily have better genetics than the older biggest buck but hasn’t yet shown their potential due to age...assuming you really are improving the genetic makeup of your herd each year.
          How do you know the biggest buck is doing the breeding? Maybe the smaller one with better genetics is mean as heck and he's getting all he wants...

Comment

Originally posted by hardtner View Post

If you don’t shoot any does after the rut I’m not sure what you’re asking. I’m not talking about killing bucks.

Comment

I’m still saying you ain’t changing your genetics.

Shoot blowing does and old bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Please read the link I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                  I’m still saying you ain’t changing your genetics.

Shoot blowing does and old bucks.

I agree. You won’t change herd genetics on a LF place. All we did was try to maximize our chance at having a great deer to shoot every year.

Comment

Age will do that for ya!

We’re headed out to thin the population at a buddies place tomorrow.

Comment

I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.
                      I get what your saying, and see some sense to it. Say your stud only bred four does, just by chance those four does get shot while pregnant, he gets shot, there goes his gene pool. But seems way to hard to control with all the unknowns. Seems like it would be easier to paint your stud bucks tally wacker with like bright blue die of some kind. Then you just don’t shoot any of the does with bright blue vagajas. Seems a lot easier to me, but then how do you keep the coyote and bobcats from eating those “ blue” babies. Seems to me like there may be some money to made, “coming” up with this blue die. Then you could even have your inferior bucks with orange whinnie die, and those would be first on everyone’s hit list. I am telling yea, this could be a big business thing. I am in need of a job, if you need help. Only other thing is to place them in breeding pens, so you have control
                      Last edited by critter69; 12-03-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        I get what your saying, and see some sense to it. But seems way to hard to control with all the unknowns. Seems like it would be easier to paint your stud bucks tally wacker with like bright blue die of some kind. Then just don’t shoot any of the does with bright blue vagajas. Seems easier to me, but then how do you keep the coyote and bobcats from eating those “ blue” babies. Seems to me like there may be some money to made, “coming” up with this blue die. Then you could even have your inferior bucks with orange whinnie die, and those would be first on everyone’s hit list. I am telling yea, this could be a big business thing.

If you invent it people will buy it.

One more try to explain why we did what we did for those that still don’t get it.

You have 20 does and 2 bucks. One buck is crappy and the other is superior in every way. You have the month of November to kill 5 of your 20 does. On November 15 you turn your bucks in to breed the does. Not a single person arguing against me would wait until November 16th to shoot their does. Not 1. Unless they don’t care about antlers which lots of people don’t. Every single person that hunts for antlers would kill the does before they were bred.

That’s all I got. Shoot the early or shoot them late. I really don’t care. If you want to maximize every chance you have at growing a trophy quality buck then shoot them before the rut.

Comment

It’s a wash.[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you invent it people will buy it.

One more try to explain why we did what we did for those that still don’t get it.

You have 20 does and 2 bucks. One buck is crappy and the other is superior in every way. You have the month of November to kill 5 of your 20 does. On November 15 you turn your bucks in to breed the does. Not a single person arguing against me would wait until November 16th to shoot their does. Not 1. Unless they don’t care about antlers which lots of people don’t. Every single person that hunts for antlers would kill the does before they were bred.

That’s all I got. Shoot the early or shoot them late. I really don’t care. If you want to maximize every chance you have at growing a trophy quality buck then shoot them before the rut.
                            Well hell, if your turning the buck lose to breed them, you must already have him in a pen. Rather then turn him out, bring to does into his pen, and don’t let them out until you have killed 5 of the other does. Or before you turn him ( them) out, shoot your five does, and only let your stud out on the 15 remaining does. Sounds like you already have a controlled system.
                            Last edited by critter69; 12-03-2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Do you/will you shoot pregnant does?

Here’s a question....does a buck that will grow into a 220” 10pt at 6yr old have genetically different sperm at 5 and 6 yr old that will sire better buck fawns or will his wad sire the same quality bucks when he is 3 and 4 yr old.

Will my son be bigger/faster/stronger if I sweet talk my my lady when I’m 18 or when I’m 33. I’m certainly not mature at 18. Will I throw better kids genetically at 33 or 18????

Serious question. If 14yr old Emmitt Smith and 14yr old Serena Williams had a kid would the kid have had better athletic genetics if they had waited until they were 25?

Or are we just looking for bigger antlers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by 175gr7.62; 12-03-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

A yearling spike that runs out of the brush and mounts that doe while two big boys are playing pecking order grab *** in the field may be the spike that turns into a 200” 12 at 6.5 (I watched this happen once while watching some deer from the floor of a drilling rig in western Oklahoma)
                                Who knows
                                Too many iffs.

You can’t possibly tell me you believe that say some big 6.5 year buck you kill on this place was born from a doe you passed in January... some 6.5 years ago because you though some good buck running around probably bred her.

Not saying it’s isn’t possible but it’s something you can’t control or will ever know.

Comment

Working...
                                X