No announcement yet.

Do you/will you shoot pregnant does?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In most situations its all about mouths the next year.

We try to take most of the older, floppy eared dry does that we can identify early on before Nov. 1. If you take the middle ages does, those are your producers and your fawns won't breed for another year. Managing your doe population is almost like the bucks, just remember they are at least 1/2 of the equation.

This year has been tough for us as we each had to take 6 does per person, lots of happy guest for sure.

Comment

Shot this one Monday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doe at Sam's.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	24638516

Comment

if you shoot a doe in oct or shoot a doe in dec, either way she wont be having a fawn. so shoot when you have the opportunity if you want a doe.

Comment

Do you/will you shoot pregnant does?

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
          If you wait until after the rut to shoot them and have some buck genetics you want passed on you take a chance on killing the doe he bred. That's the main reason we tried to shoot them pre-rut.

Ok....hold up....[emoji2955]

How do you know the one you killed in Oct wasn’t gonna get it from the neighbors 237” 19 point, or the one you cut the fetus out of on New Year’s Day wasn’t the carrier of a beautiful future 4 year old 5 point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-03-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

How do you know the one you killed in Oct wasn’t gonna get it from the neighbors 237” 19 point, or the one you cut the fetus out of on New Year’s Day wasn’t the carrier of a beautiful future 4 year old 5 point?

If you kill the doe in October obviously your buck will breed one that’s still alive. Is this a serious question?

Comment

I'm with you. I've always thought people think way too much in to this. You have no control. Shoot does and let your bucks get old. That's all you can control.

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear on what we did....

We were MLD 3 and required to kill X number of does per year. We didn't want to chance killing any does that could have been bred by our top bucks so we tried to kill all our does pre-rut. The top bucks would still breed during the rut and we didn't chance killing the does they bred.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                  I'm with you. I've always thought people think way too much in to this. You have no control. Shoot does and let your bucks get old. That's all you can control.
                  Nah, I agree with Bowslayer. Shoot your does early. Narrow the pool of available does for the rut.

Comment

Yes. Early and late season doe. Toss in a few yearlings. You're removing mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                      Agree to disagree...

We had a relatively small place in a County in East Texas that isn't known for producing big whitetail. You would be surprised what we grew there. I got off the lease but am still friends with all the members and they still grow absolute giants every year. They just don't advertise it.

Comment

Assuming you’re going to kill X number of does a year, those does will not be producing a fawn next year. All (or 90% or whatever) of the remaining does will. You get zero say in which buck breeds which doe.

It’s a wash.

Comment

Assuming you’re going to kill X number of does a year, those does will not be producing a fawn next year. All (or 90% or whatever) of the remaining does will. You get zero say in which buck breeds which doe.

It’s a wash.

Yes but IF a deer breeds that has great genetics we have ZERO chance of killing that doe if we kill them pre-rut. It's far from a wash. Those bucks are going to breed at least 1 doe. Why not eliminate the chance of killing the doe they bred?

Comment

Age structure does more than doe killin'

Removing mouths, is removing mouths.

Comment

He could have bred 4 does, but you shot 3 of them in October....

Comment

He could have bred 4 does, but you shot 3 of them in October....

LOL whatever you say...

Comment

Working...
                                X