Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
    If you invent it people will buy it.

One more try to explain why we did what we did for those that still don’t get it.

You have 20 does and 2 bucks. One buck is crappy and the other is superior in every way. You have the month of November to kill 5 of your 20 does. On November 15 you turn your bucks in to breed the does. Not a single person arguing against me would wait until November 16th to shoot their does. Not 1. Unless they don’t care about antlers which lots of people don’t. Every single person that hunts for antlers would kill the does before they were bred.

That’s all I got. Shoot the early or shoot them late. I really don’t care. If you want to maximize every chance you have at growing a trophy quality buck then shoot them before the rut.

I’d shoot the crappy buck and let the big one breed all of the does… But that’s not the scenario we’re talking about, not even close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will shoot a doe anytime it is legal to do so. With that being said I usually wait to shoot does until muzzleloader season, Which is the last two weeks of season in my county. I really have no reason behind this. The only reason I can really come up with is that it is pretty challenging to see them that time of year for us. I will shoot them during bow season, but I usually am trying to fill my buck tag so they usually get a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
        if you shoot a doe in oct or shoot a doe in dec, either way she wont be having a fawn. so shoot when you have the opportunity if you want a doe.
        Bingo!!

Comment

Yep. Right in the face - especially if she stomps and blows at me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            He could have bred 4 does, but you shot 3 of them in October....

He would still breed 4 does and they would all be living.
            The biggest bucks will most likely doing the most breeding. The idea makes complete since and is logical. That said still heading to our ranch to kill a few does this next week.

Comment

I don't shoot doe early. So yes. I would. And have. Cleaned them and found developed embryos in them.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Agreed. She wants a pass from me, she better have a baby by her side.

If a doe wants a pass from me, she best not be blowing, stomping, and snorting at everything that moves, scares her, she's curious about, etc., etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  If you invent it people will buy it.

One more try to explain why we did what we did for those that still don’t get it.

You have 20 does and 2 bucks. One buck is crappy and the other is superior in every way. You have the month of November to kill 5 of your 20 does. On November 15 you turn your bucks in to breed the does. Not a single person arguing against me would wait until November 16th to shoot their does. Not 1. Unless they don’t care about antlers which lots of people don’t. Every single person that hunts for antlers would kill the does before they were bred.

That’s all I got. Shoot the early or shoot them late. I really don’t care. If you want to maximize every chance you have at growing a trophy quality buck then shoot them before the rut.
                  I think i understand what you're trying to get at, but your example, imo, is poor. You, at least most of us, have way more does than bucks. We don't have the option of opening a gate to let bucks in, and we have more than 2 bucks that will be doing the breeding. We, at least most of us, have NO control over which buck breeds which doe.

Another point to consider is this: Does carry 50% of the genetic makeup of the fawns. Who's to say that one of the does you shoot early isn't the carrier of massive buck genetics?

In the world most of us operate in, killing does, is killing does. When doesn't matter. Give the bucks good age, diet, and hope for the best in genetics. That's all we can do.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                    I think i understand what you're trying to get at, but your example, imo, is poor. You, at least most of us, have way more does than bucks. We don't have the option of opening a gate to let bucks in, and we have more than 2 bucks that will be doing the breeding. We, at least most of us, have NO control over which buck breeds which doe.

Another point to consider is this: Does carry 50% of the genetic makeup of the fawns. Who's to say that one of the does you shoot early isn't the carrier of massive buck genetics?

In the world most of us operate in, killing does, is killing does. When doesn't matter. Give the bucks good age, diet, and hope for the best in genetics. That's all we can do.

You missed the point of the post. Completely.

Comment

Working...
                    X