Hummer Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orchard View Post
    0-60 in 3 sec. That is new corvette times. Think about that for a second.
    Imagine what an AWD 1000+HP vette will be like...I'm a traditional roaring V8 buy but electric torque at all 4 corners is legit.

Question I have is how exactly are electrics going to get taxed in tx like gas to support roads / infrastructure as they get more popular.

Comment

Check out the Rivian R1T. It's better looking... That said, current electric car batteries are running north of $150/kWh. This has a 200kWh battery so it is a $35K battery...

I drive an electric with a range extender (read: gas motor). I go about 60 miles on electric driving like a worried grandma. I go about 35 miles driving like Andretti. Normal, everyday, I go about 4.5 miles/kWh. So... if the truck had the same, uh, kinetics, I'd go 200*4.5 or 900 miles on a charge. Since this weighs a bit more than twice my car, it goes 400. In other words, the math is pretty easy to estimate. Figure towing a 7000lb load will probably cut range in half to 200 miles. If you tow the max, maybe 150.

And... note that at least 80% of electricity is still produced from fossil fuels. Driving an electric car just pushes the emissions from your tail pipe to the smokestack at the generation plant. You aren't really doing as much as you think "for the environment". At least not yet, anways.

It is also a fallacy that driving electric is super cheap. First, the cars aren't cheap. So, factor that in. Calculating cost to charge is pretty easy. Assume you buy this truck and you drive and tow moderately. Assume a 350 mile range per charge with one minor tow per "tankful". A 200kWh battery will take about 240kWh of electricity with 20% losses in the process. My electricity is right at 10 cents per kWh so it would cost me about $24 to fill the tank to go 350 miles. Compare to your truck getting, say 15mpg average with an occasional tow an it would cost you 350/15 or about 29 gallons of gas. Gas is current $1.80 where I live so that'd be $52.16 to fill up. So you save some but to recoup the huge difference in cost is still a ways off. Now... if we go back to $4 a gallon gas, that changes things.
      Last edited by ken800; 10-22-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        Imagine what an AWD 1000+HP vette will be like...I'm a traditional roaring V8 buy but electric torque at all 4 corners is legit.

Question I have is how exactly are electrics going to get taxed in tx like gas to support roads / infrastructure as they get more popular.
        They'll tax you on the mileage you drive at registration time.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          They'll tax you on the mileage you drive at registration time.
          Or just the electricity rates. Your electric bill will grow by the kWh.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            Well other than being fugly, its bad asz.
            Like many of our TBH brothers.

Comment

Working...
            X