No announcement yet.

Nervous before shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. Squeeze or release contingent upon your weapon of choice. Thwack or thump. Breathe breathe breathe. Fist pump. #Tump One Over
    Last edited by Longhorn95; 10-20-2020, 10:04 PM. Reason: Tump it over

Comment

I have shot hundreds of deer and I still get a little amped up even over a doe. Just focus on shot routine, shot placement and "killing the dang thing."

Comment

I got buck fever on a doe once. I shook so bad I could hear the tree shaking. I flung a arrow at her and missed by a mile. It had never happened before or since.

Comment

I get amped. I focus on a shot routine and have no issues in years. I do the routine every practice shot so it becomes 2nd nature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I'm just the opposite....With a bow, I am a heart-thumping leg-shaking mofo .....deer, pig, turkey whatever. With a rifle, unless its a really big deer , I'm just getrdone....

Same for me. With a rifle it’s just recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just keep in mind that feeling is completely normal. It helps to solely focus on your shot process. That will help keep your mind occupied on the task at hand. I was with my girlfriend when she was able to take her first buck. I could tell she was nervous and excited. I just whispered to her to focus on doing everything in slow motion. She calmed down immediately and made a terrific shot.

Comment

i just watch the critter for a bit,,,calm down ,,then shoot.

Comment

I still do but mostly after the shot. I believe when I see a deer coming in and its going to take awhile before the shot presents itself, then I start shaking bad because of the anticipation of shooting but when there's a sudden appearance, like he steps out of a thicket or something similar, then I'm OK and just take the shot calmly.
                  I don't hunt for that reason but its reassuring to know the excitement is still there.

Comment

its the ones that sneak up on me or come from a direction i wasn't anticipating that get my heart rate up lol . If I can see them funneling in i have time to calm my breathing and think about where i want to stop them and the follow the shot sequence.

Comment

I am surprised the "Target Panic" guru has not hit this yet...

Comment

I'll quit hunting when I no longer get buck/doe/whatever I'm hunting fever.

Comment

YES! I still do

If you don't you need to stop hunting lol

That rush never goes away

Comment

I just shot a good buck last Friday and was a little shaky when he first walked up but as soon as I started concentrating on pre shot steps things got better. Before I knew it the arrow was away it things were good.

Comment

I won't say I get nervous or shaky but I do get really excited when I am ready to draw. The day I no longer get excited is the day I quit hunting. That is what it is all about.

Comment

Some times I get really excited and some times I don't. 2 weeks ago I shot a doe with my bow and was shaking like a leaf. Since then, I've killed 4 hogs and passed up bucks and never got the least bit excited.

Comment

Working...
                                X