No announcement yet.

Nervous before shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its weird, its very situation specific for me. I've gotten the fever when I absolutely had no reason too. And I have been steady as a rock when I should have been slobbering all over myself and falling out of the tree. soo. I dont have any great advice for ya....lol

Comment

I got 1 word for ya.

Valium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Killing lots of does cured my nervousness. After awhile it just didn’t affect me anymore.

Comment

My heart rate gets up for sure. I try to always remember something Buff one said “don’t overthink it, just kill the dang thing”. I think that is good advice.

Comment

If you do not get nervous, why do you hunt? Just asking!

Comment

Deep breaths, get on target, exhale 40-50% and fire.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                Best part of hunting.
                X2

Comment

First deer I ever killed was the second one I shot at. Clean missed the first one at 35 yards with a 12 gauge I was shaking so bad. I calmed down after the first shot and was able to shoot the one deer who stuck around. Now I overcome it by getting really focused right before the shot. I'll get the shakes after though
                  Last edited by tlh2865; 10-20-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    If you do not get nervous, why do you hunt? Just asking!
                    To eat. :-)

Comment

This use to bother me in the past. One of the main things I did to get over it was to think about whatever animal I was going to hunt, before each shot during my practice. I literally would visualize a animal walking out. They I would draw and execute a clean shot. If you do this during practice on every shot by the time you draw down on the actual animal you've already killed it hundreds of times.

Sounds corny but it works. I was 35 yards from a giant bison with cameras rolling. My heart rate did not increase at all which allowed me to execute a great shot.

Comment

That is called Buck Fever

It's part of the reason you have such a sense of accomplishment after a successful kill.

If you can develop an aiming mantra it will help slow down the process so you shoot true.

Comment

Originally posted by bswift355 View Post
                          This use to bother me in the past. One of the main things I did to get over it was to think about whatever animal I was going to hunt, before each shot during my practice. I literally would visualize a animal walking out. They I would draw and execute a clean shot. If you do this during practice on every shot by the time you draw down on the actual animal you've already killed it hundreds of times.

Sounds corny but it works. I was 35 yards from a giant bison with cameras rolling. My heart rate did not increase at all which allowed me to execute a great shot.
                          Visualization is the very best thing you can do!!

Comment

I’m as cool as a cucumber...... until the arrow is in flight, then I LOOSE IT, even a doe. After the shot I get an adrenaline DUMP! But up till the shot I’m just focused on not blowing it

Gun..... pass the ammo

Comment

Heck I have no problem with a rifle. Now with a bow[emoji23] that's why I bow hunt. Hell I center punched a 30 inch pine tree a couple years ago. It jumped out in the lane I was shooting. Any I've been doing this for 40 years and still climb up 30 ft nothing like it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Like a leaf! I get all kind of bent out of shape as soon as I pick that bow up.

Comment

Working...
                                X