No announcement yet.

lease big property or buy small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both! I own my own place. It is a ton of work but very satisfying. I like being in control.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

this is a great thread. i have a good friend here in tx that has joined leases with our family, and i've joined some of his family's leased in OK. he has always said, 'love deer hunting, but hate deer leases'. at first i never understood, but within a few years and some truly crazy lease/member ordeals, i started using his quote. a few yrs ago i bought some land (only 150ac) south of alice. i know, i know!! it was to be a dove hunting fish camp. despite the 'brown it's down' neighbors, we now have several deer that hang around between 3-5 yrs old. pros and cons to everything.

pros-it's mine - i make the rules - i get calls periodically from the realtor i purchased it through, telling me he has a buyer for considerably more that i purchased it for - our family loves it, we have it all to ourselves - it's close to baffin, so i sold my floater!!!!(#1 pro) - NO DRAMA - a good place to 'bug out' - if i wanted i could generate $ from it by leasing - you WILL have a huge sense of pride taking any animal off your own property(this is a big pro)

cons- all the work falls on me/wife(fences, etc, translates to many more trips, and less fishing) - my worries ensuring it stays ag exempt - it's paid for, so cash is tied up - small acreage, neighbors make it frustrating by 'brown it's down' s. tex mentality - you WILL get bored hunting small acreage -- no one drinks my beer/whiskey when i'm gone -all the mowing/light bills, etc are mine

one day i'm going to start a thread about some of the crazy stuff that has happened at deer leases/family land, etc ..hhmmmm now that i think about it, these smaller horned deer don't seem all that bad

Comment

Buy! Thats what we did. Got tired of lease drama.

Comment

Buy. I enjoy working on the land just as much as hunting it.

Comment

Lease.

I own 40ac and don’t hunt it. You can lease way more/better hunting than you can buy. It would cost about $15M to buy the property we hunt.....and it ends up costing me about $3500/yr.

The taxes on my 40ac are almost that much and I don’t have room for all my buddies like our lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All depends on the small track of land. 5 acres in the right place and situation could be the bad deer property ever. Leasing just brings too many headaches unless you can keep the hunter numbers small. Also takes the right landowner too.

Comment

If you can afford land buy it. One of the greatest feelings in world. You don’t have to be on 2k ac to shoot a decent buck.

Comment

Buy. I am actually selling my 70 acres in SE OK. Darton has it listed for me. It's probably a little past your 1.5 hour from the house rule, but not bad. Takes me just under 2 hours from McKinney. If I wasn't trying to build a house right now I wouldn't be selling it. 3-5 years and I'll buy another place.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                    Buy. I am actually selling my 70 acres in SE OK. Darton has it listed for me. It's probably a little past your 1.5 hour from the house rule, but not bad. Takes me just under 2 hours from McKinney. If I wasn't trying to build a house right now I wouldn't be selling it. 3-5 years and I'll buy another place.
                    Saw that one and it's really tempting but right outside distance of what we've talked about

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      Saw that one and it's really tempting but right outside distance of what we've talked about

That’s what I figured. Thanks for looking though!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                        That’s what I figured. Thanks for looking though!

trying to get my dad to pick it up. He keeps talking about land up there so it's easier to go fish than tent camping

Comment

I should have added this to my previous quote:

If you are truly intersted in hunting trophies, that's not likely to happen on most small parcels of land for a number of reasons including competiton and simply civilization scaring them off.

If you are hunting for meat, sport, and an occasional "good one". You can certainly do that on a property under a 100 acres if you are patient and find the right place.

Comment

I personally have been thinking of this as well.

Going to be leasing until almost retirement and just deal with it. Then sell off everything and BUY. But buying however far I have to go to not see another pine tree. And will be getting 200-500 acres.

Just have about 10-12 years to get it done.

Then our son can have the whole da.... thing.:

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                              I should have added this to my previous quote:

If you are truly intersted in hunting trophies, that's not likely to happen on most small parcels of land for a number of reasons including competiton and simply civilization scaring them off.

If you are hunting for meat, sport, and an occasional "good one". You can certainly do that on a property under a 100 acres if you are patient and find the right place.
                              It would be more for entertainment and a place for my kids to play on growing up and my dad and I hunt. Water for my girls to fish and dove

Comment

Working...
                              X