No announcement yet.

lease big property or buy small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a project place that's 1.5hrs from my house, and lease a big ranch S of the border.

If i had to pick one, I would choose to own smaller instead of lease bigger, but it's comparing apples and oranges.

My lease is 8 hours from my house, and I can only make a few trips a year. I stay for 4-5 days, and hunt big low fence whitetails in big brush country. Best place I have ever hunted whitetails, and would be well out of my limited budget to lease something similar on this side of the ditch. To buy similar Webb co acreage would set you back 15MM.

My "ranch" is an easy 1 night trip - and doable for a day trip. Being so close, it's easy for me to break away with the kids, work on endless projects, and still be home for some of the weekend to keep the boss happy. It has great deer hunting - 160+'' potential - but is certainly small and has to be hunted accordingly. When i decided to sell it, someone will be buying an exceptional hunting place.

Owning a small - hunting focused place, more that a couple hours from my house would have some challenges for me. I am too restless to sit at camp all day, but know that if I spend all day driving around & working on things - the human activity is hurting my hunting. Smaller hunting properties are perfect for weekend trips, and quick getaways. If I am driving half a day to get somewhere, I would want enough space to spend some days there, and enough acreage to roam free.

Comment

I'd have to hit the lottery to afford enough land to keep me happy. I'll just lease until then. I'm not strapped to one area, I can hunt with my group of friends and family, and I can access a lot more property. Plus IMO your chances at a big deer are far greater leasing a well managed large acerage place. Sure people kill big ones all the time on 200 acres they own, but I feel like you're much more likely to struggle to grow a big one on those small parcels.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        was out at the lease this weekend and started looking at what it would cost to buy our 2 sections. Came to the realization that 1,200ac is out of budget. Would you rather lease a larger chunk of land or buy something under 200 ac, under 100 if within a hour and a half of the house?
        I have heard of Hunter's forming a Hunting CO-OP and purchasing their own Hunting Property. You would have to draw up a contract with all the specifics but one group I know did this and it works well. You would have to get a group together with similar goals in mind to make it work but it would allow for you to get a bigger Property than you could afford on your own. Thoughts?

Comment

I’m in same boat. For just another $500. Month added to my hunting budget, I could buy my own place instead of lease. But I’d go from 2700 acres to around 40

Comment

Buy. Always that is the answer. Buy land. Buy more than you think you need. Just keep buying.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
              I have heard of Hunter's forming a Hunting CO-OP and purchasing their own Hunting Property. You would have to draw up a contract with all the specifics but one group I know did this and it works well. You would have to get a group together with similar goals in mind to make it work but it would allow for you to get a bigger Property than you could afford on your own. Thoughts?
              I've seen people do this. A few actually formed an LLC and each Partner had an equity interest based on the Partnership agreement and the LLC technically would own the property. Essentially, you would figure out the total capital required to purchase a property and that would be how the initial Partner contributions were derived. Then you layer into the agreement how taxes and other expenses are handled; whether it be via future capital calls, etc. There was obviously more to it than that, but it most definitely sounded like a good way to pull in multiple parties to buy a larger tract.

As for owning versus leasing. I think all of that has been covered. I think the main draw-back on owning is you lack flexibility. For example, if a neighboring property sells and you end up with a terrible neighbor, you are kind of stuck. Also, although land does on average appreciate over time, it still is somewhat an illiquid asset. It takes time to sell and your actual return on investment might be lower after you factor in closing cost and actual cost you personally put into the property. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather own and not have lease drama.

Comment

I'd give up a lease in a heartbeat to own my own land.

The reverse is not true, and I don't care how nice of a lease it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  Buy. Always that is the answer. Buy land. Buy more than you think you need. Just keep buying.
                  I need you to find me something like unclefish has, that place looks awesome. Would love to find something where my girls can fish and eventually hunt on

Comment

I bought my place three years ago. I wouldn’t trade it for any lease any where. It’s very rewarding working your own land whether that pays off in you taking a buck or not. The best part is that you decide who hunts with you. You can also take a very long term approach to everything from deer management to improvements etc. knowing you’re in control of your hunting ground.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      I need you to find me something like unclefish has, that place looks awesome. Would love to find something where my girls can fish and eventually hunt on
                      I know a place. But it's a little more $$. And NOT in that area.

Comment

But to answer the original question...I am on a better-than-average hill country lease, and I get to make all of the rules.

And we can't wait until the day when we can afford to buy the right property for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          I know a place. But it's a little more $$. And NOT in that area.
                          Yeah I think I need to save a little more to be able to find something within hour and a half of home

Buying a place would mean not having to deal with cows anymore too

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            I bought my place three years ago. I wouldn’t trade it for any lease any where. It’s very rewarding working your own land whether that pays off in you taking a buck or not. The best part is that you decide who hunts with you. You can also take a very long term approach to everything from deer management to improvements etc. knowing you’re in control of your hunting ground.

This^^^^^^

To each his own but the satisfaction I get from working on my place is hard to beat.

Comment

Land ownership hands down.

You could buy 200 acres in kansas for $350k-500k and kill 150+” bucks every season. 5 hours from dfw. Texas rifle season is too long. Neighbors will hammer your herd with small acreage in Texas. I would consider 600 acres small in Texas unless it’s high fence. The reason you see so many high fences in Texas and not mid west states is because of the long rifle season in my opinion.

Comment

buying was the best decision i made. i bought 40, and its in a good area with little other owner activity. im already looking into buying some adjoining places as well. i still have access to my dads place in a more rugged part of the country. and have a 1/4 section in ND with access to 2k more.

a lot of smaller places are in sub-divisions and some of those have P.O.A's that have managment minded rules for the owners

Comment

Working...
                                X