Sheet rocking tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    Trust me I want to but we have a big renovation and trying to maximize the budget so I’m going to do what I can.
    Been there done that. There are places to save and places to spend. Sheetrock is place to spend.

Comment

When do you anticipate doing the work? Hanging / Finishing ? I may be able to help ya out.

Comment

Why 5/8 on the ceiling?
        1/2 will sag over time.

Comment

Trust me I want to but we have a big renovation and trying to maximize the budget so I’m going to do what I can.
          No better way to gain appreciation for a good drywall guy.
          I've been there before and glad I learned how to do it.

Comment

Why 5/8 on the ceiling?
            5/8" will help keep the ceiling from sagging. After hanging the ceilings then start on the walls. Lay it down horizontally starting with the sheet that butts into the ceiling trying to keep the sheet as level as possible. This will help a ton. Depending on your ceiling height then hang the small rip, then a full sheet on the bottom. i.e. if you have a 9'-0" ceiling I would hang a 11" rip for the middle piece. Give yourself an inch or so to the floor to allow you to jack the bottom sheet up to the middle rip, this way if the floor is out you don't have to be perfectly precise. Buy a foot jack and save your self a ton of time for that bottom sheet.

As far as cutting boxes, just get the measurements off the wall form the corner or the sheet you are butting into. Then mark and cut on the sheet before you hang it. A good T/F guy can help if some boxes are a little large, don't overthink it.

Comment

use a rotozip for the cut outs.

Comment

If you hang the drywall yourself go ahead and tape & float it yourself.
                The quality of labor willing to come up and finish the job for you will more likely be less skilled than yourself.

If you go for it and hire a tape and float crew.....

Whey they say they are done, walk the house right at dusk where the waning sunlight picks up every imperfection in the seam joints and it looks terrible they will say you hung it all wrong, this is as good at will ever look you get to start over.

It's worth hiring it done.

Comment

Why 5/8 on the ceiling?
                  Walls are 16” on center and ceiling is 24”. Wider span on ceilings. Drywall will sag.

Comment

One really good tip. If re-sheet rocking ceiling, over existing drywall that is sagging badly between ceiling joist. Screw 1x4 to ceiling along joist, and then hang new drywall. That way your new drywall is straight and doesn't fallow the same bow as the old ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                      One really good tip. If re-sheet rocking ceiling, over existing drywall that is sagging badly between ceiling joist. Screw 1x4 to ceiling along joist, and then hang new drywall. That way your new drywall is straight and doesn't fallow the same bow as the old ceiling.

That’s a great tip! I’m actually going to hang some over existing sheet rock that has glued on foam tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilazo View Post
                        Hire the right people for the job. It will pay for itself in the long run. As a contractor, I'm going to charge you more for you doing my job or turn you down.
                        Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                        If I was a sheet rocker I would charge you dbl to tape and float a job you hung. (Assuming it would look like I hung it).
                        This does not make any sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                          This does not make any sense to me.

They are going to charge more to fix all the mistakes they find after someone tried hanging it themselves.

It can work out but not very often.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                            They are going to charge more to fix all the mistakes they find after someone tried hanging it themselves.

It can work out but not very often.
                            Sounds to me more like they didn't get that part of your business and want to make sure they get paid for not getting that $$

I would say, well there is the door. bye!

Comment

Originally posted by J_Foster View Post
                              When do you anticipate doing the work? Hanging / Finishing ? I may be able to help ya out.

I’m hanging right now little by little but plan on doing a bunch of demo in the next weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                                Sounds to me more like they didn't get that part of your business and want to make sure they get paid for not getting that $$

I would say, well there is the door. bye!
                                Interview 5 new landscaper crews to take care of your yard.
                                Say they all come up with a price of $45-$55 to do the entire yard a week.

Tell them that sounds fair, then tell them you plan on doing all the mowing and edging yourself, you just need them to clean up the flowerbeds & blow the concrete off. How does $10 sound?

Poof......They gone...

Same principle applies to the OP.

Comment

Working...
                                X