No announcement yet.

Sheet rocking tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go find some guys that hang around Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      Dang, thats going to be work!

I'm building a game room/office inside my shop. Just finished T,F,P of walls. Assuming you have your keyhole saw and drywall rasp? These tools make life easier for sure. Use a pry bar to stick under the rock so you can manipulate it with your foot into position and still have your hands to screw. If you're hanging ceiling rock, rent the lift for sure. Dont spend a ton of time trying to get the perfect fit. Tape and float can work miracles lol.
      Yeah got the rasp and hand saw... the rasp has saved me a bunch already.

Hardest part I have is cutting around the plugs for a nice fit.

Working 10-11rd days then working on the house until 8-10pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Go find some guys that hang around Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Probably end up with the same quality I’m doing lol

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          Hiring it out is the only way. Lol. Trust me. Buy the material, and find somebody to do it. It will be the best money you ever spent.
          X3 on hiring it out.

Save money elsewhere. Between hanging, installing, taping, floating, texturing, etc., it's a ton of work. Also, if not done well, it will be noticeable.

Sheetrock work is one of projects that even a lot of DIY type guys will pass on. Doing a single bathroom or something is one thing, but a major home renovation, nope.

Comment

I think you're good on hanging, but I would definitely look for some real experience on the tape and float.

I practiced a couple times on some garage stuff that we had, and it just wasn't near pretty enough. When it came time to do a little bit in the house, I handed it over to the pro.

Comment

did it a couple of times when I was younger and if you just go slow it will be fine. Ceilings are the pain, and if you have a good stronge helper it makes it easier. Do ceilings first, then do walls. As for walls, hang bottom rock that sits on floor and get as level as possible, so you can set the next series on top of that and helps support. Take lots of aleve that evening and some next morning as you are going to need it.

Comment

If I was a sheet rocker I would charge you dbl to tape and float a job you hung. (Assuming it would look like I hung it).

Comment

if schedule is of any value to you (or the wife), hire it out. Sheetrock crew will be hung in a day and tape/bed/textured in 3. you do it yourself and it will be 2-3 weeks at best.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    That is my ultimate plan.
                    I’m a contractor here in San Antonio. We do roofing primarily so drywall work is common for us. I can give you some contacts for some great tape float texture guys if you need them...hang 1/2” on walls and 5/8” on ceilings.

Comment

I hung my own sheetrock in my workshop and found a retired gent on Nextdoor to Mud it. I watched some Youtube videos on mudding and actually did a few joints myself . I just could not get the hang of it. The retired gent fixed my mistakes and finished in 2days and cost me $450. It is a 24x24 shop and I only did the walls . The ceiling is getting tongue and groove.

Comment

Originally posted by Chootem View Post
                        I’m a contractor here in San Antonio. We do roofing primarily so drywall work is common for us. I can give you some contacts for some great tape float texture guys if you need them...hang 1/2” on walls and 5/8” on ceilings.
                        Why 5/8 on the ceiling?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          100% of the time ^^^!!!!!!!!
                          Lol, x1000! I worked on finishing out a room above my garage for several days. Barely had anything done working by myself. Hired 2 sheet rock guys and they had the rock hung and tape/float in a total of 2 days. Well worth the money spent.

Comment

Drywall hanging and finishing is cheap.
                            It is not worth doing yourself.

Do the stuff that can save you some money.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                              I’m by no means a handyman but the wife and I are doing a pretty large renovation. Any tips and tricks for hanging sheet rock fast and good besides hiring it out?
                              No

Comment

Install wide tongue and groove pine boards instead. As long as a woman can’t tell me no, I never want Sheetrock inside a house ever again.

Comment

Working...
                                X