Tree saddle hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    I wanted SOO BAD to love DRT or SRT, but it just doesn’t fit my hunting style.

Too many times I am setting up in an unprepared tree in pitch darkness. Slinging a rope in the dark is just too cumbersome for me.

One thing I am hoping to try next year is the “ultimate one stick” method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I had the agility (and weight) of a 13yo, it would likely be my preferred method too...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      I wanted SOO BAD to love DRT or SRT, but it just doesn’t fit my hunting style.

Too many times I am setting up in an unprepared tree in pitch darkness. Slinging a rope in the dark is just too cumbersome for me.

One thing I am hoping to try next year is the “ultimate one stick” method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
      If I had the agility (and weight) of a 13yo, it would likely be my preferred method too...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Honest ingun….i do throw ALOT OF PRESETS. i just use paracord and leave them.

My modified drt is easier than climbing sticks.

I run a blakes hitch then a tender back to the other line.

I then run a prussic under the blake and just loop my line in to a step.

Im 6’3. 230, fat and outtashape.

Ifn i can anyone can lol
      Attached Files

Comment

Just picked up a trophyline covert lite kit.

If you're military or first responder, they have a pretty dang good discount.

Trophyline Covert Lite
        2 pouches
        Tether
        Lineman
        Ropeman1

Taxes and shipped $276

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a 1-stick rappel guy. SRT/DRT wouldn't work for me because of what has already been mentioned. I don't preset trees and throwing a ball in dark doesn't seem fun.

As for the size of a tree. I learned something this past week. The thinner the tree, the more my knees hurt from leaning into it. The larger the tree, the flatter the surface and it definitely made a difference I seen.

Comment

Figured I would bump this back up since I’m gonna get up with a friend of mine in about 2 weeks that is saddle hunting. If I get into this, I’m looking at the one stick method being I’m planning on hunting Kansas again but on public land. Places I plan on hunting requires a long walk in, so lighter the better.
            But one question I have right now, can you use this set up on a tree that has limbs along the way up?

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              Figured I would bump this back up since I’m gonna get up with a friend of mine in about 2 weeks that is saddle hunting. If I get into this, I’m looking at the one stick method being I’m planning on hunting Kansas again but on public land. Places I plan on hunting requires a long walk in, so lighter the better.
              But one question I have right now, can you use this set up on a tree that has limbs along the way up?
              Absolutely. When you get to limbs you need to go above you simply hook up your linemens belt and move your tether above the limb and proceed climbing .

Comment

My complete system is scheduled to be in tomorrow. I have most of the components. Just needed platform and saddle with pouches. Looking forward to testing it out!

Comment

Packing sticks is only process I’m still unsure of. Have several ideas, but it’s my head scratcher

1 stick ain’t worth it to me. It’s over complicated a very simple process for little weight savings (in my situation)

Comment

Absolutely

As you climb, when you come to your 1st limb to get past, that is when you will use your linemans rope. Clip that around the tree so your still attached to the tree. Now you can safely undo your tether and place it up the limb and continue to climb. Just repeat this step as many times as you need to based on the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      Packing sticks is only process I’m still unsure of. Have several ideas, but it’s my head scratcher

1 stick ain’t worth it to me. It’s over complicated a very simple process for little weight savings (in my situation)
                      I watched a video last week of a guy using the one stick method. He only moved up one time and was up at around 17 feet. Where I hunt in east Texas, 18 feet is about as high I can go due to the canopy.
                      Whereas in Kansas, I shot my biggest buck ever at 12 feet up, 4 other bucks that I killed were probably right at 10 feet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

The idea for 1-sticking is rappelling down tree when finished.

If your like me and you hunt until its very dark, being able to just zip down like batman is so nice.

Comment

I watched a video last week of a guy using the one stick method. He only moved up one time and was up at around 17 feet. Where I hunt in east Texas, 18 feet is about as high I can go due to the canopy.
                          Whereas in Kansas, I shot my biggest buck ever at 12 feet up, 4 other bucks that I killed were probably right at 10 feet up.
                          At first I was concerned about how quickly I got up the tree and how many moves it takes and so forth and so on.

Then I realized something. If I am worried about that, I am like that person who is waiting 10-15 minutes at Walmart for a closer parking spot when all they will be doing is walking around in Walmart.

I'm gonna be in that tree for several hours. An extra 10 minutes to climb isn't worthy of a conversation.

Comment

Working...
                          X