No announcement yet.

Hogs jumping into feed pens, East Tx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barb wire will work. We had everything getting in our pens. Hogs cows coons. Put a strand of barb wire around the top. No more bent panels or hogs and cows in the pens. A light mix of sardines and golden marlin and the coons stopped coming in too.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      Our are built like that, we get a random boar that will jump and camp in them but it keeps the majority out. I also haven't been feeding this time of year which is when the hogs are probably the hungriest with everything so dry and acorns haven't started falling yet.
      Are yours also 25 inches tall?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

34” Panels and a strand of barbed wire on a round pen has kept out the pigs and cows. And most turkeys until last year. Some turkeys figured out how to jump in , but not all of them!

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
          Barb wire will work. We had everything getting in our pens. Hogs cows coons. Put a strand of barb wire around the top. No more bent panels or hogs and cows in the pens. A light mix of sardines and golden marlin and the coons stopped coming in too.
          Just googled that golden marlin fly bait. I’m gonna give it a whirl

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
            Just googled that golden marlin fly bait. I’m gonna give it a whirl
            I’ve heard you go back the next day and coons are laid out. Also put it in gut piles and coyotes love it too.

Just a tip. People I’ve heard will put it on marshmallows in the corner of the pen so the deer won’t get the fly bait

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
              Are yours also 25 inches tall?

Yes sir, same as you described 50" cattle panel cut in half. Maybe a little shorter because I cut it in a way that it left spikes on one side and used those to push down in the ground to make it harder for pigs to push the panes around.

Mine are much bigger around than yours though, 6 panels cut in half so 12 panels around.

Comment

We used to have one we named the flying pig.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  Yes sir, same as you described 50" cattle panel cut in half. Maybe a little shorter because I cut it in a way that it left spikes on one side and used those to push down in the ground to make it harder for pigs to push the panes around.

Mine are much bigger around than yours though, 6 panels cut in half so 12 panels around.
                  Thanks man, plan to head out there this evening and make it a little taller.

Comment

They are very resourceful.

Comment

Just go 48" and be done with it. You'll still probably have one on occasion "Spud Webb" the pen anyway.

Comment

Even I could jump that.LOL

Comment

Why build them that low? Saving a few bucks by not using hog panels? I've used hog panels (34") and never had a problem. Also have used general purpose fence (32") in more remote locations with no problems. Guess if they can jump 25" they could probably jump 32-34". The problem you have now is they know they can get in the pen. Even raising the height they would probably still jump in.

Comment

Also, I would think twice about adding barbwire. My deer hit the top of my panels all the time when jumping in. They are lazy and will only jump high enough to just clear and sometimes they bump the top of the panel. Adding a wire would definitely "catch" some of my deer by the leg. I've seen plenty of dead deer that were hung up in a normal barbwire fence. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                              Why build them that low? Saving a few bucks by not using hog panels? I've used hog panels (34") and never had a problem. Also have used general purpose fence (32") in more remote locations with no problems. Guess if they can jump 25" they could probably jump 32-34". The problem you have now is they know they can get in the pen. Even raising the height they would probably still jump in.
                              Nah wasn't worried about the money, all the panels are in-expensive. Just trying to he a little less invasive with these East Tx deer I reckon and thinking of fawns easily getting in and out. It's all good....I've got plenty of panels and going to extend these some and see how it goes. There are no hogs getting in my other set which is same as this one. This is my close to home lease so only 45 mins from the house, that helps with making several trips and fine tuning it.

Thanks for all the input gents.

Comment

We use to run the 36" problems with no problems. But have seen pigs jump out of 4ft pen. So your to short.

Comment

Working...
                                X