Let’s discuss netx pineywoods bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Both those deer were giants. Lop horn was just stunning. Ill never forget the first time I saw them . 230pm 102 degrees. You right behind me.
    And Big Sandy, and Scorch, and about a dozen others that didn’t get a name that year lol

Comment

About everything I’ve found this far up to 2.5 is hard horned. 3.5 and up still in velvet ... but the deck has been shuffled! The 7.5 I want my daughter to hunt came back! And he brought a friend that’s mature as well and maybe bigger framed, but “Big Jim” is who I plan on going after. Daylight pics!

Only one I’m missing that I had interest in hunting ain’t shown yet. I know he was alive in February. And lots more could happen.

Comment

Several of my regulars from years past showed up this week. I have one old stud that disappears every spring and summer. Last year he came home Aug 28th and polished the 29th. I pulled that card this morning and joked that he should be home today. He came home the 27th and polished the 28th. Lol

Two years on a row he came home one day before he polished.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          That’s good info. I hear guys from the Midwest talk about “community scrapes” and I always second guess everything they say and question whether or not it applies here. As far as rattling goes on government land I haven’t done it but I have had luck with calling. I’ve avoided rattling because I assume a lot of people are trying it and it probably hurts more than it helps unless you can make it sound really good and be in the right spot. Depending on the sign I can find this season I might try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a community scrape behind my house that I set up a trail cam on video every year and freshen it up right before bow season.
          I get 15-20 different bucks at it through out the year. Sometimes a mature buck will hit it once at night, not be on any other cameras and I’ll never see him again.

I hunt very close to it on either end of the trail depending on wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Several of my regulars from years past showed up this week. I have one old stud that disappears every spring and summer. Last year he came home Aug 28th and polished the 29th. I pulled that card this morning and joked that he should be home today. He came home the 27th and polished the 28th. Lol

Two years on a row he came home one day before he polished.

That's pretty sweet. This year was a leap year it too, so would have been the same day instead of a day apart. lol

Really enjoying reading this thread this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
              I have a community scrape behind my house that I set up a trail cam on video every year and freshen it up right before bow season.
              I get 15-20 different bucks at it through out the year. Sometimes a mature buck will hit it once at night, not be on any other cameras and I’ll never see him again.

I hunt very close to it on either end of the trail depending on wind.

Have you noticed a pattern of how those bucks approach the scrape? I assume most come from down wind, but deer aren’t always walking into the wind.

Comment

I’m gonna see how the deer react to this small moultrie feeder hung up high. I sprayed the spinner plate and all areas that contact corn with plasti dip.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  Have you noticed a pattern of how those bucks approach the scrape? I assume most come from down wind, but deer aren’t always walking into the wind.

No really haven’t paid attention to that, the old road/trail it’s on runs south/north from a field corner to a “tee” at the end of the property.
                  I have a stand on either end. The north end at an enter section of trails with several other scrapes along them.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishMoss View Post
                    That's pretty sweet. This year was a leap year it too, so would have been the same day instead of a day apart. lol

Really enjoying reading this thread this morning.
                    Son of a gun. You are right.

Comment

A "New" buck showed up, a big 10 with a split on each side. Im still waiting on "Bert" to show up.

Comment

Spend some time hunting in north LA and then it wont seem so bad hunting in east TX

Comment

Originally posted by aadams34 View Post
                          Spend some time hunting in north LA and then it wont seem so bad hunting in east TX

I’m right beside the northwest corner. Where 3 states meet

Comment

Curious what the difference is. Have not hunted LA before.

Comment

If you take away archery entries, LA has more B&C bucks entered than any other state in the union and the huge majority of them are from North LA.

Comment

Went out scouting over the weekend. Several deer are regular visitors to my mock scrape. Found some big white oaks already dropped some small acorns from the storm I assume. Getting real excited for this season. Hopefully we have another good cold front in late October!

Comment

Working...
                                X