Tactacam Reveal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
    Y'all are really over thinking the solar part of this.. We use a set-up like this on all of our cameras that can take an external battery, its a solar panel that has it's own batteries. So far we are going along over a year on most of them with zero issues and the camera "back-up batteries" still show 100%.

https://www.amazon.com/8000mAh-Suppo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    I just received this solar panel Friday. I'm trying to make sense of the translated directions.

Can you leave the regular AA batteries in the camera? If so, do they need to be rechargeable?

Comment

I've always bought bulk alkalines and thrown them out when they're done.

Seen a lot of the external battery boxes and solar panels on here. Great setups and ideas. Is it cheaper to run that vs running rechargeables and a solar panel?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
        I just received this solar panel Friday. I'm trying to make sense of the translated directions.

Can you leave the regular AA batteries in the camera? If so, do they need to be rechargeable?
        Yes, the batteries are needed in the camera and act basically as a backup if the solar assembly fails. I always use lithiums in cameras like this as they discharge different than alkaline. On cameras that will not accept an external battery source I use the Alkaline, it seems like it'd be opposite.

Alkaline batteries will tend to fail as a group and the camera will show the decline, while the lithiums will show 100%, one will fail and the camera will not work.

These kind of chargers are great, you basically plug them in and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
          Did you go with 12 volt solar setup?

Yes

Plus a 12v from TSC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all are really over thinking the solar part of this.. We use a set-up like this on all of our cameras that can take an external battery, its a solar panel that has it's own batteries. So far we are going along over a year on most of them with zero issues and the camera "back-up batteries" still show 100%.

https://www.amazon.com/8000mAh-Suppo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
            I like the simplicity of this. Do you have troubles with critters chewing on the connection wire? I'm wondering if some sort of metal conduit should be used to cover the wire?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerBob View Post
              I like the simplicity of this. Do you have troubles with critters chewing on the connection wire? I'm wondering if some sort of metal conduit should be used to cover the wire?
              Not at all, if that's a concern I'd just wrap them tight to the mounting bracket, no issues in 3 separate locations over a year in use.

I can appreciate the work that's going into making a battery box with a separate solar charger, but these things are sooo simple and easy to use. If I remember I'll get some camera setup pics this weekend.

Comment

Pretty interested in this setup myself, thanks for sharing

Comment

Yes, the batteries are needed in the camera and act basically as a backup if the solar assembly fails. I always use lithiums in cameras like this as they discharge different than alkaline. On cameras that will not accept an external battery source I use the Alkaline, it seems like it'd be opposite.

Alkaline batteries will tend to fail as a group and the camera will show the decline, while the lithiums will show 100%, one will fail and the camera will not work.

These kind of chargers are great, you basically plug them in and you're good to go.
                  Batteries are not needed in the camera at all if you are running a 12v and solar. I did not put any in mine and they worked great. Just an extra expense. If the solar does fail it is not going to just shut off. The 12v will just not charge and you will see that something is wrong by the battery level going down.

Comment

I "might" invest in one of these and see if I can get reception...

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                      Batteries are not needed in the camera at all if you are running a 12v and solar. I did not put any in mine and they worked great. Just an extra expense. If the solar does fail it is not going to just shut off. The 12v will just not charge and you will see that something is wrong by the battery level going down.
                      You could be right, but I've explained what I experienced with numerous cameras over the years.

Comment

You could be right, but I've explained what I experienced with numerous cameras over the years.
                        Honestly the only one that I do run batteries in is my older Spartan. Only reason I do that is because the put the port in the door. So in order to open it you have to unplug it. I use the 4 left farthest out of the 12 slots. This is just enough to power it on and get signal until it can be plugged it to the external battery. Spartan has since rethought their plug placement and relocated it. So that one has zero batteries in it.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

I have one coming in that i was planning on setting up on Solar power.

Comment

I have been running external solar setups for a long time and still put batteries in the camera, like you do. I have had the external system go dead for one reason or another over the years and the internal batteries kept the camera going.

Good backup like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir. Exactly what I need!

Comment

Working...
                                X