Welder size and learning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welder size and learning question

I have been eyeing welders for a few years. I have never done it. I bought a book and read it years ago. I have watched all the videos. I have done everything except for running a machine. I currently do not have a need for one in my garage, but I want to get one anyway just to have. I have contacted the community college and I missed the fall class signup. Do I need to go to a class or will youtube teach me what I need to know?

I have an oxygen acetylene cutting torch and a welding tip on it. I have done brazing, cutting and stuck a few pieces of steel together with RG-45. I envision building a blind, maybe an expedition trailer and some general shop stuff. I think I would probably be using 1/4" wall tubing. I have seen the cheap welding tables at harbor freight and I think they would work for me. Ideally I would like to buy a machine that can last 25 years.

I am considering the Lincoln 140, Lincoln 180 and the Miller 211. The Miller is awfully pricey for something I will not use very often. I have a 230V plug in my garage so I can do the 180. I have AMEX points so I would prefer the Lincoln from Home Depot.

I guess my question is what can I do with the 180 that I cant with the 140? I would hate to have to upgrade down the road. Is the Miller that much better than the Lincoln 180? I really like the dual voltage input on the Miller. My next house may not have 230 in the garage and in case I had to take it to a friend's house they may not have it either.

I know there are a ton of yall on here that weld. Thanks

I know the duty cycle on the 140 is going to be shorter, but that might not make any difference with what you're talking about. I don't think there is much if anything other than that. Good luck man!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you like the Miller 211 but don't want to spend the money get a Hobart 210 MVP. It's made by Miller , has the dual voltage option, but is missing the auto setting. I picked mine up used for $500 and it's been a great machine.

The big difference between the 140 and 180 is the duty cycle and thickness rating. If you plan on doing 1/4" material I'd go with the bigger welder.

Comment

I had the Lincoln crackerbox K1170 or similar for a few years and just did not have good control on the heat. I literally had to match the material to what the welder was capable of doing, and even then I was getting pretty crappy welds. I sold it and bought a Miller Bobcat gas powered welder/generator as I needed to weld corner posts and line posts on my fence rebuilds. Now I have some control where I can adjust the heat to match the material. You don't want to go low end on a welder. What ever you buy, make sure that it has a voltage rheostat. You can thank me later.

Comment

The Lincoln 180 is a good machine for the money. I welded up about 100 hog traps with one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The 140 is under powered being a 110v unit and can lead to frustration when you want a strong weld on something important.
          You can learn to weld with one in just a few minutes, have a neighbor or friend spend a half hour with you and you will be off to the races.

Comment

Good stuff guys, keep it coming. I have also looked at the Hobart 210 at Northern Tool. It has the dual voltage also.

Comment

I’m no help with what you listed.
              I’m a gas machine man myself. I have a Lincoln 200 but just borrowed a friend’s miller bobcat being I couldn’t get my rig in where I needed it. To me, a gas machine can go anywhere. If you even think you will need something outside the garage or shop, look at a gas machine.

Comment

I am really thinking MIG or a multiprocess like the LE31MP. I dont think a generator stick will have much use. i do not own land anymore and it would probably not get used outside the garage

Comment

These machines are made to last for decades of use so I would say to go used and buy bigger.

And by the way, you don't want to use 1/4 wall for deer stands. 14 ga. will do fine.

Comment

I have a Lincoln 180 on the way. I just went and got a bit of scrap steel

What is the better tool for general fabrication? A portable band saw or abrasive cut off saw? Looking at the harbor freight ones. I already have a grinder and cutting torch

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                      If you like the Miller 211 but don't want to spend the money get a Hobart 210 MVP. It's made by Miller , has the dual voltage option, but is missing the auto setting. I picked mine up used for $500 and it's been a great machine.

The big difference between the 140 and 180 is the duty cycle and thickness rating. If you plan on doing 1/4" material I'd go with the bigger welder.
                      100% Spot on.

I will add, that the 140 machines will do most of what you are wanting to do, but they are SLOOOOOW on anything above 1/8", and you generally can't use over .030 wire. I find myself with them turned all the way up, still waiting for it to burn how I want...which is even harder on the duty cycle.

I mostly use a 175 Miller (old version of the 180) with .035 wire, and I've only ever had it cycle off once, when welding 3/8" plate in 105 degree heat. For 99% of what I do, it is MORE than enough machine.

I'd buy the 211 if I was buying today just so I could run it on an extension cord, and at the deer lease, from time to time.

Comment

I ended up being cheap and ordered the Lincoln 180 HD. It will be here Friday. The Miller was $500 more and the Hobart $275 more. Now I am just getting setup in my garage to work with metal.

Comment

That rig will serve you very well. Get the bottle to go with it!

Comment

Got the 80cu ft bottle today. Just need help on what cutting tool I need. A portaband or abrasive cut off saw

Comment

I feel like you would use the cutoff saw more. The band saw is helpful but has limited use cases.

I have the 180HD and it's great. We use ours all the time with a 100ft 8 gauge extension chord. Like Dale, I've only hit the duty cycle on it once when it was 102F outside.

That bottle will help make some pretty welds, I haven't had much luck with it working outside, always too windy to turn out the magazine quality welds.
                              Last edited by Samson; 09-01-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X