No announcement yet.

Welder size and learning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a chop saw. Hardly ever use it other than making precise angle cuts. Hate setting up the torch. I use a metabo with cutting wheels. I can cut more stuff quicker, straighter than a chop saw or band saw!!!

Comment

I don't own a chop saw, hate them.

I have a porta-band, and a small horizontal JET band saw.

Also keep abrasive blades for the skill saw, and 2 4 1/2" grinders. One with a flapper disc, and one with a cut off blade.

Comment

I was going to buy a cheap grinder so I could keep a cutting wheel on it. I already have 1 Makita. I may just get a portable band saw and the abrasive. They are cheap at harbor freight and I really dont think I will be doing too much with them. I guess if I really went down a rabbit hole I may have to upgrade

Comment

I have the equivalent of this one. Had it for about 15 years, cut miles of material on it, most used tool in my shop.

If space is an issue, I'd get this before and abrasive/chop saw.

Comment

If it's not too late, get CO2 for your shielding gas instead of the argon/CO2 mix gas. The CO2 allows you to weld much thicker and much faster than the mix.

Comment

Too late on the gas. Already got the 75/25 today. The manual says the regulator needs an adapter to handle CO2. I am not sure how long it will take to burn through this tank. Really thinking of picking up a band saw tomorrow. Reviews of many different chop saws indicate they may not be real great for angles. Hopefully I will be laying beads by Thursday evening. Once I can make them look decent I will build a Big Green Egg rolling table.

Comment

Hogslayer78 and I were talking about this very subject this past weekend. When most guys say they want to weld, what they don’t realize is that they really want to make stuff...and use welding to do it. Making stuff involves quite a bit more than just welding, and fortunately, I think most of that extra work is the fun part.

As first projects, I’d recommend taking a shot at making your welding table vs buying one and making your welding cart. You will learn a lot about distortion and keeping things square, and if things get out of whack you can use your torch to correct it. We’re all here to help, so don’t hesitate to ask! Plenty of videos on YouTube for whatever questions you have too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                  Too late on the gas. Already got the 75/25 today. The manual says the regulator needs an adapter to handle CO2. I am not sure how long it will take to burn through this tank. Really thinking of picking up a band saw tomorrow. Reviews of many different chop saws indicate they may not be real great for angles. Hopefully I will be laying beads by Thursday evening. Once I can make them look decent I will build a Big Green Egg rolling table.
                  Chop saws are used wrong by most people, if you put too much pressure on the blade then it will walk and you won't get a good angle cut. I would get what Dale linked if you are going to do a lot of cutting. I have a port-a-band but I have never mastered cutting good angles but the guys at work that use them for a living get's decent cuts with one.

Comment

Miller prices high for a reason !
                    Just my honest opinion.
                    Last edited by sasqy; 09-02-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Welder size and learning question

Finally got it in

Last edited by thegrouse; 09-04-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

What is the best way to clean a weld? I just used a wire cup on the grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Am I supposed to have these cuts perfect?

Can’t do it with a cut off wheel and this is as close as I got with the portaband

Comment

I really like this one Lincoln Electric LE31MP MIG Welder with Multi Processes — Transformer, MIG, Flux-Cored, Arc and TIG, 120V, 80–140 Amp Output, Model# K3461-1

Comment

Can’t do it with a cut off wheel and this is as close as I got with the portaband

That’s a heck of a lot better than most of the fit up you see at a muffler shop, and those guys get paid for it! As you tack the material together, check it for angles and flatness. Tack welds won’t typically pull a longer heavier piece out of square/alignment, but they can cause distortion on smaller, shorter, or thinner material. Learning to tack everything in first and check my angles really elevated my projects from hammered dogshxt to comically incompetent.

I don’t ever bother with cleaning a MIG weld like you might do for fluxcore, but whoa baby have I grinded a few! Heck, I’ve even had to “trim” a few with the portaband first just so I wouldn’t use up an entire grinding wheel trying to make it smooth again LOL

Comment

The fit really depends on the thickness of the material being joined. The thinner the metal the closer it needs to fit.

Say your welding 14ga square tubing together at a 45 degree. You should have a pretty tight fit to ease the chance of burning through since the metal is thinner.

Now you are welding up .120” wall square tubing. With this the material,it is a little thicker and you can get by with a “looser” fit. The gap will actually help the penetration which is desirable in this situation.

When dealing with thicker pieces beveling might be needed.

At the end of the day metal thickness, welding amps and welders ability all come into play.

Comment

Working...
                                X