Best Way to get a CDL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    I worked for a pump company years ago. They let me drive some of their trucks. I have driven manuals all my life, so it was not a big deal to learn. After a month of driving their trucks, I went to a DPS office, and took the test, I think in the pump company truck, don't remember. But it was no big deal.

Not having access to a truck, you may be best off, going to a truck driving school. I know there is one in San Antonio, I would bet they are all over.
    If you live in Rock Island- I would check with Victoria College. They have a couple of Rigs. I see them driving all around Victoria.

Comment

Find yourself a technical or trade school near you and do some research on training and tuition. My oldest boy just finished lineman training but it required to also get his CDL which he did through online instruction due to the Covid. He was also required to learn how to drive manual even though most of the rigs in the electrical infrastructure industry probably have automatic rigs. Anyhow, take a look into it and good luck moving forward. You can do it sir!!!!

Comment

I got mine the other day for lineman school.. Take all your crap to the DPS office and get signed up then you have to pass 4 written test.. Once you pass those you must have your CLP for 14 days before you can take the Pre-Trip and driving part..

I went to Sage trucking school in San Antonio to do my pre trip and driving. THey had a deal with the school that you could come do it for less than half price but we were only allowed to do it in a Automatic.. Good thing line trucks are Automatic. ha

Comment

I have made my guys watch this and learn it for several years now. Lots of good info in in this video and it will help you get through the pre-trip inspection.

Comment

UPDATE!!! I'm a certified class A CDL card carrying individual!

Comment

Congrats. I’ve had mine since I was 22 and I’m about to be 39. I don’t use it much for my job anymore, but I have to keep it up to date.

Other than OTR sometimes it hard to find a company that doesn’t want at least 1 year driving experience. I know my company does.

If you want to be home at night I would look into LTL carriers like Old Dominion or southeastern freight lines and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! What route did you end up going to obtain your license?

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                  UPDATE!!! I'm a certified class A CDL card carrying individual!

Nice!

Comment

Online takes 5 min.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Congrats! What route did you end up going to obtain your license?
                      I studied hard and hired someone that could get me appointments to test quickly. I got my permit on 8-14 and got my CDL today. I tried making an appointment to test for my permit myself but the earliest I could get was mid December.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                        Online takes 5 min.
                        What takes 5 minutes?

Comment

Thanks again for all the responses!

Comment

If guys are serious about this... you can try to get hired on w ups. The position is called a feeder driver. We teach all our employees how to drive, go take the tests, study, etc. Its a 2 week crash course in 18 wheeler driving. Been w em 23 yrs now. Its a hard job not always easy on family life, but i have no regrets.

Comment

Thats a problem these days, getting a cdl fast and dont have any experience when they start driving. Kinda like throwing u to the wolfs. Half the drivers i see, should not be behind the wheel, and i have 20 yrs driving experience.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                                If guys are serious about this... you can try to get hired on w ups. The position is called a feeder driver. We teach all our employees how to drive, go take the tests, study, etc. Its a 2 week crash course in 18 wheeler driving. Been w em 23 yrs now. Its a hard job not always easy on family life, but i have no regrets.
                                UPS is on my radar!

Comment

Working...
                                X