No announcement yet.

Best Way to get a CDL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your planning on goin over the road make sure you AND your family is ready for you to b gone for 3 t9lo 5 weeks at a time. Been driving big rigs fir 22 years. Had my own truck for 11. Sold it and went back to hauling local. Got a job that pays by the hour. Much better. Like they said above, ace that pre trip inspection. After that no to bad. Good luck. You gonna need it

Comment

Any kind of certificate(s) required by employers for a rookie driver?

Comment

To be honest, most of the time, insurance companies dictate what is required. It doesn’t take 5 years of trucking to drive a truck, but some companies ask for 3-5. If your a rookie with no experience, the company might want to see some sort of training certification. Like a diploma or the likes.

Comment

First, make sure u can pass a dot physical. Thats the first step, i have been driving for 20 yrs, since high school. Alot of compies will not hire u without any experience. Its better to go and get it from some kind of school because some companies hire right out of the class when u r done. Just because u get a cdl, its no good without some experience. Good luck

Comment

Thanks to all for the advise! Please keep it coming!

Comment

I have a bunch of training documents i can email you, i have helped a few people get theirs, youtube has alot of good info on your pre-trip and driving. Most of the DMV instructors do not know what all the parts are on the tractor and trailer, all they want to hear is you talking and saying key words that they check off. Test in a standard so you will not have a restriction, you will have to parallel park. If you miss anything on the airbrake test its a automatic failure, once you start your in cab inspection you have to go into your straight into your air brakes if not you will fail, I know this first hand, There are alot of people that offer 1 or 2 day classes to get your CDL. What ever you do, DO NOT TAKE YOUR TEST IN HEARNE!!!!! Also you get 3 fails before you have to start all the way over, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                If you test in an automatic, then you are only qualified to drive an automatic.
                Learn to drive a manual and then you can drive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                NOT true. I tested automatic and I can drive any commercial truck I want including manual.

Comment

Originally posted by marlin man View Post
                  NOT true. I tested automatic and I can drive any commercial truck I want including manual.
                  Incorrect-you CAN NOT legally drive a standard transmission truck if you took the test in a automatic. The law was changed in 2015

Like many have said really study the pre-trip, if you can find someone with a truck that will let you go hands on that will help

Something you might look into is getting on with one of the bigger moving companies,you will have to hire on as maybe a helper but learn the ropes and work on getting your CDL. The guys that drive for my 2 biggest customers all seem to do really well
                  Last edited by perow; 08-04-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Go to driving school. Practice with a standard. Know the pre-trip. Definitely know the air brakes test.

Comment

What I did was went to the DPS office and got the handbook. I studied youtube videos on the testing. When I felt I was ready I went and took the written test at the DPS. If I recall there are 5 tests all multiple choice on the computer. That does not include hazmat or any other special endorsements. Then I found a truck rental in Weatherford, TX and hired the owner for the morning. He taught me how to parallel park that morning and he scheduled the driving test for me for the next morning. Then he had the truck already parked for me at the dps office and I tested out. Done deal. Got my license that day. You can easily find a job with zero experience. The company I rented the truck from had at least 6 companies call me wanting me to go to work the next day. That's how you gain your experience. Then after a year you can pretty much hire on anywhere you want to work. Good luck. Over the road is not a lifestyle for everyone especially if you have a family. Also, if you want to hotshot with a 1 ton dually, check out towpiglet on youtube. You do not have to have a cdl for that. It all goes by weight. Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                        Incorrect-you CAN NOT legally drive a standard transmission truck if you took the test in a automatic. The law was changed in 2015

Like many have said really study the pre-trip, if you can find someone with a truck that will let you go hands on that will help

Something you might look into is getting on with one of the bigger moving companies,you will have to hire on as maybe a helper but learn the ropes and work on getting your CDL. The guys that drive for my 2 biggest customers all seem to do really well
                        All I can tell you is that on my cdla license there are zero restrictions. When I get inspected by the trooper, I have had ZERO issues with that.

Comment

I didn’t realize big rigs came with automatic transmissions

Comment

I worked for a pump company years ago. They let me drive some of their trucks. I have driven manuals all my life, so it was not a big deal to learn. After a month of driving their trucks, I went to a DPS office, and took the test, I think in the pump company truck, don't remember. But it was no big deal.

Not having access to a truck, you may be best off, going to a truck driving school. I know there is one in San Antonio, I would bet they are all over.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I didn’t realize big rigs came with automatic transmissions
                              A lot of them do now days, does not take as much skill to drive one now days. About anyone can drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by marlin man View Post
                                All I can tell you is that on my cdla license there are zero restrictions. When I get inspected by the trooper, I have had ZERO issues with that.
                                Curious when you got your CDL?

Comment

Working...
                                X