No announcement yet.

Lawn pre emergent time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m no expert but I did pick up Preen yesterday and will be putting it down this afternoon and then again in about a month. I’ll throw some fertilizer down next time.

Comment

What would the professionals recommend for a lawn that is nothing but weeds? Kill weeds first then seed or seed first then worry about weeds next year?

Comment

The problem I have with a lot of these recommendations is they do not consider soil temperatures or soil fertility. Most weed problems can be substantially reduced if the soil fertility was address first. Weeds are a good indicator of poor soil fertility.

For example, if you address the PH level and then fertilize according to recommendations, you can nearly wipe out sandburs. And, with proper PH level, your fertilizer will be more effective.

Comment

all I know is my yard is a mud pit. It’s been completely saturated for months. Starting to get worried everything is going to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Chuy;15429505]all I know is my yard is a mud pit. It’s been completely saturated for months. Starting to get worried everything is going to die.

same story over here. I'm ready to put out the pre emer stuff but am thinking it will float downstream....

Comment

I have a severe Aster problem. Nothing I know kills it and I don't have time to sit and pull them all by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                What would the professionals recommend for a lawn that is nothing but weeds? Kill weeds first then seed or seed first then worry about weeds next year?

Kill, till and fill (re-sod)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

FYI per Neil Sperry's FB post today for NORTH TEXAS - don't confuse Houston and Dallas when people start talking about pre-emergent timing.

For North Texas, i do pre-emergent Spring Break and Labor Day with pretty good results.

Neil Sperry

Garden Tip: (I am making this post preemptively, because I know it will only be a matter of time until I'm asked.)
                  I have heard an ad this morning saying that mid-February is the deadline for applying pre-emergent herbicides in DFW (where I have lived and gardened for 50 years) to control spring weeds.
                  I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE MESSAGE OF THOSE ADS AT ALL. I think they will confuse home gardeners who intend to make their own pre-emergent applications to prevent germination of crabgrass and grassburs.
                  The average date for the last killing freeze for DFW is around March 20. Crabgrass and grassburs are both warm-season weeds, which means that they will not germinate until soils are much warmer than they are right now (even with a very mild winter). Proper timing for DFW would be between March 5-15, possibly sliding a few days earlier if it stays unusually warm through February. I've seen years when the application date slides later due to cold weather in February and early March.
                  But the deadline should not be announced on January 25 as being mid-February. At least not based on anything I have ever seen, heard or experienced. You don't want to apply Dimension, Weed-EX with Halts or Balan pre-emergent granules that far ahead of prime time in DFW where that ad is airing. That is more of a schedule fit for deep South Texas/Gulf Coast.
                  I support my friends in the professional lawn maintenance industry completely, and I always caution consumers that, "Just because Neil suggests something be done on a given date, homeowners need to give the pros the grace of a little leeway." Professionals have access to different products that behave differently, and they have experience in coping with these issues. We hire them for results, and if the results are good, it doesn't matter if they follow my schedule exactly.
                  But conversely, they should not advertise dates in a way that will mislead the do-it-yourself public into doing the wrong things or doing them at the wrong times.
                  Those are my feelings. Perhaps there was something I missed. If there was, I'll post it here. However, I've listened very closely and I don't think I missed anything.
                  Please keep watching here, watching my e-gardens newsletter, listening to me on the radio, and for those of you in DFW, listening to me on KLIF Saturday afternoons and WBAP Sunday mornings. I'll keep you completely updated on the proper timing for applying pre-emergent granules in the Metroplex (and all of Texas). For DFW, the deadline for that application will definitely NOT be mid-February.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                    I have a severe Aster problem. Nothing I know kills it and I don't have time to sit and pull them all by hand.

I’ve killed it with celcius

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                      Que?!

Let me google it and see what it is and who carries it...
                      Last edited by ATI; 01-25-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
                        all I know is my yard is a mud pit. It’s been completely saturated for months. Starting to get worried everything is going to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Same, not sure what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                          well shoot! it's over a hundred dollars for somewhat small container....

I can't even have lawn problems that are cheap to resolve. Everything, from being a left handed to something as simple as lawn weed control costs are as high as Giraffe Nuts when it comes to me.....

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                            Kill, till and fill (re-sod)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Great. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
                              Lowes had a great sale on preemergent and fertilizer this weekend. Clearance stuff. About 6 bucks a bag for each.

The fertilizer was sold out at my store so I bought weed and feed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Which Lowes in Plano ?

Comment

Great timing yall. Time to get my 2 acres started.

Comment

Working...
                                X