No announcement yet.

Where Would You Like to Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idaho, Wyoming, North or South Dakota. The rest of the western states have pretty much been ruined by California transplants.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
      Do you have to reside in Iowa to get a archery landowner tag? Or is owning land enough?

I’d love to own land in the Midwest.
      Yes. You have to be a resident.

The hunting /residency laws here are very strict. We have owned this farm since 2009. Last year was the first season that I hunted as a resident. I drew a non resident tag in 2017. It took 4 points to draw although I had 6 points at the time. I had not lived here long enough to establish residency for the 2018 season so I just went out and sat watched some awesome bucks walk by. [emoji3525]

If you are a non-resident land owner you can get one anterless tag that must be used during one of the shotgun seasons. Of course....you have to buy a non-resident licence and a non-resident doe tag.

To establish residency the Iowa DNR requires a lot of documentation..... especially if you have ever drawn a non-resident tag. You have to have an Iowa physical address, Iowa drivers license, utility bill receipts from your physical address, and even pay check receipts. It's a process. In some cases the game warden will come out and check if to see if you actually live at the address you submitted. The DNR has been scammed a lot over the years by non-resident hunters and it still happens. The deer hunting here in Iowa is awesome, but it is a very fragile resource. The Iowa DNR takes a lot of precautions to protect it.

If you live here you can kill a lot of deer. I get 3 buck tags. One statewide archery buck tag, one landowner buck tag, and one statewide firearms (shotgun/straight wall rifle/muzzleloader) buck tag. My wife gets the same amount of tags. You can basically kill all the does you want until the county you are hunting quota is met. You first doe tag is $28.50. Every additional doe tag is $15.00 each.

This is why there are several hunting shows are based out of Iowa. Lee and Tiffany, The Hunting Public, Raised Hunting, etc. If you live in Iowa you can kill a lot of deer here. You can hunt most other surrounding Midwest states over the counter or with a fairly easy draw. This equals a lot of Midwest hunting footage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 07-30-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Lake Ouachita-old stomping ground

Comment

Beaumont isn't exactly a wonderful place, but its about 40 minutes from Sabine Pass and an hour from Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn. Easy 5 hour drive to wonderful deer, turkey, quail, etc hunting. Great dove and duck hunting right here in town. Neches river runs through town. I mean I don't like the town of Beaumont, but I can do all the things I like to do easily. We also just bought some land, my job is here, my family is here, and all my friends are here. I'm stuck here in this humid armpit of Texas, but I'm happy!

Comment

Kerrville.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              My body has changed or my mind has changed in recent years, or both. I used to be able to handle heat without any problem, at times I could handle cold, but other times, extreme cold I did not like. But after having heat stroke five or so years ago, when we were hiking mountains in Big Bend in July, in the middle of the day. I was told afterwards, that I would always have problems with the heat. For the first two or three years afterwards, I did not notice much problem dealing with high heat. I work outside in the middle of the day, year round. Have not really had any problems with heat, ever. But the last two years, I have noticed that if I am not careful, the heat will mess me up and can do so, in a hour or two of being out in the heat. I found I have to eat, have to consume salt, along with drinking water. When I am working, I just don't do so, I focus on what I am doing and not my condition. I also have to wear a hat, if I am in the direct sunlight. What I have also noticed, is I can be outside, when it's 30 degrees, walking around in a Tee shirt and shorts and not realize it's 30 degrees.

Finally someone I can relate to. I had my heart strike over 14 years ago. Before that I worked outdoors all day. Over the 14 years my tolerance for heat has gotten much worse. This is the main reason we plan to move to a milder climate once my youngest is out of school in 4-5 years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wherever there are no liberals at all!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Might be in the minority with this, but I think I would say Kansas? Low cost of living, heartland hospitality, fertile land, good hunting public and private. Easy drive to snow ski in Colorado or hunt in Wyoming/etc. Not too far from Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by NelsonV View Post
                    Wherever there are no liberals at all!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    That would be mars. But, you better be the first one there! Then all bets are off.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                      We are contemplating leaving Texas. Nine months of unbearable heat has a lot to do with it.

Where would you go? Keep in mind fishing, hunting and other outdoor activities.

If you could live anywhere, where would you live?
                      I enjoy where I live. The economic opportunities are certainly not the selling point, but our cost of living is very low & the pace is MUCH slower.

North Arkansas - You get 4 good seasons. It gets hot in the summer, but it’s not crazy hot like Texas & not really that cold in the winter. Plus, no mosquitos.

I guess I take the scenery for granted, but it’s pretty. Several big, beautiful lakes and clear creeks and rivers with good fishing. Some of the best trout fishing in the world within an hour, and some of the best duck hunting 45 minutes or less the other direction. All the deer, turkey, bear, squirrel, and duck hunting you can handle with hundreds of thousand (if not millions) of acres of public land within an hour and a half.

We do have quite a few retirees and transplants in some of the more “touristy“ areas. I think we’re fairly welcoming as long as you don’t purple paint your place on day one and start patrolling the area ��.

I lived in Texarkana for several years and worked all over East Texas for a great Texas based company. There’s a lot of great, high paying jobs down there, but East Texas hunting and outdoor recreation compared to what I was used to was just not close.

Comment

Brisbane

Comment

Right where I am right now. Our forever home! Everything we could ask for and more!

11032 Reeds Lake Road
                          Rogers TX

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                            Beaumont isn't exactly a wonderful place, but its about 40 minutes from Sabine Pass and an hour from Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn. Easy 5 hour drive to wonderful deer, turkey, quail, etc hunting. Great dove and duck hunting right here in town. Neches river runs through town. I mean I don't like the town of Beaumont, but I can do all the things I like to do easily. We also just bought some land, my job is here, my family is here, and all my friends are here. I'm stuck here in this humid armpit of Texas, but I'm happy!
                            I used to dislike the Beaumont as the humid armpit of Texas... then I went to Midland/Odessa....whatever your metaphor for the stinkiest, dirtiest ugliest, body part, its that.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                              I enjoy where I live. The economic opportunities are certainly not the selling point, but our cost of living is very low & the pace is MUCH slower.

North Arkansas - You get 4 good seasons. It gets hot in the summer, but it’s not crazy hot like Texas & not really that cold in the winter. Plus, no mosquitos.

I guess I take the scenery for granted, but it’s pretty. Several big, beautiful lakes and clear creeks and rivers with good fishing. Some of the best trout fishing in the world within an hour, and some of the best duck hunting 45 minutes or less the other direction. All the deer, turkey, bear, squirrel, and duck hunting you can handle with hundreds of thousand (if not millions) of acres of public land within an hour and a half.

We do have quite a few retirees and transplants in some of the more “touristy“ areas. I think we’re fairly welcoming as long as you don’t purple paint your place on day one and start patrolling the area ��.

I lived in Texarkana for several years and worked all over East Texas for a great Texas based company. There’s a lot of great, high paying jobs down there, but East Texas hunting and outdoor recreation compared to what I was used to was just not close.

As I am typing this I am in Ozark, MO. I love the northern Arkansas, southern Missouri area. Cheap land conservative folks. Its on the 'maybe' list.

Comment

Gallatin River between Yellowstone NP and Big Sky MT

Comment

Working...
                                X