Where Would You Like to Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    I have been in Lake City Colorado for 10 days. We have 20 trout In the freezer, the hunting has to be good and I have not seen temps higher than 74 yet
    I’ll bet you’re seeing a lot of old hippies and liberals though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
      Durango, CO
      I day dream of moving here every Summer day

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
        Like to live? I live at Lake Fork.
        So someplace with less meth?

Comment

I guess what I would really like is 4 weeks in Houston. Ten days in Paris. Four weeks in Houston and Ten days in Puerto Rico. Four weeks in Houston and Ten days in Canada. ETC - ETC - ETC. We do not mow anything, and we have a house keeper......

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
            I guess what I would really like is 4 weeks in Houston. Ten days in Paris. Four weeks in Houston and Ten days in Puerto Rico. Four weeks in Houston and Ten days in Canada. ETC - ETC - ETC. We do not mow anything, and we have a house keeper......
            I could do that.....

Comment

It ain’t about going north, it’s about finding altitude. Hell, North Dakota can hit triple digits. After working in dang near every state in the country during different times of the year, Northern New Mexico or Southern Colorado would be where I’d move to beat the heat and have ample hunting and fishing opportunities while enjoying it amongst beautiful scenery. Wyoming and Montana are getting mentioned a lot, but it just gets too cold. After a couple of winters there, you’d be bitching about the cold like your bitching about the heat here.

Comment

I'm originally from Missouri and I could be quite happy north central on 500-600 ac of my own. Still within driving distance of St. Louis and Cardinal baseball and great deer hunting all around---Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                  Fort Davis Texas

Weather in the hottest months average highs in upper 80's and lows in lower 60's.
                  Location allows for hunting Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah fairly easily.
                  ^^^^^^this^^^^^ or alpine, marfa, big bend/lajitas....
                  Almost 2 pages before the crown jewel of texas is mentioned. It's a shame how little we utilize the most perfect part of the state. Prolly more Germans out there vacationing then texans. Yes, they fly half around the world to get to the mountains and climate of west texas. What do they know we dont

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                    This question is rapidly coming up at the wife and I. We need a lot of amenities and somewhere like Llano is out of the question. Being city folks all of our life - remote is out of the question. Don't have a clue.........
                    Llano has both F'berg and Marble Falls within less than an hour.

I went from home to the hospital the other day in less than thirty minutes, just hop on 71 and you're at Scott and White before you get to 281.

I guess we have it pretty good - and it's not likely to change much for us.
                    right now we split time between Llano and Cape Coral, Florida, which are both hot in the summertime.

Eventually we will build a little place in southern Colorado where we bought some land a few years back. That will be our home base from July through elk season just to get away from the heat.

Comment

I am a native Texan. I don’t understand the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                        Of course it depends on exactly where you live.

From where we live it is 1 hour and 45 minutes to Des Moines International airport. It is about 2 hours and 15 minutes to Eastern Iowa airport which is between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. From our house you can drive 30 minutes down to Kirksville, Missouri and take a commuter flight to St. International Airport for like $59.00 one way.

We live in Davis county. About 90% of our county is on high speed fiber optic. Where we live is still on copper, but the fiber crew is about 2 miles from our house coming this way with the fiber. Yea !!! We still get about 16-17 Mbps download which is plenty for streaming Hulu Live TV and most computer tasks. I am on our WiFi right now.

We tell people we live 2 hours from anywhere in the world and 10 minutes from the 1800s. What we mean is that we can drive to Des Moines and fly to anywhere in the world and we live 10 minutes from one of largest Amish communities in the United States. If we go to town we see Amish buggy's and Amish on horse back everyday. All of the businesses in Bloomfield have hitching posts for the Amish. Its cool to see 6 to 8 horse draft horse teams pulling cultivators and hay rakes.

The grass always looks greener somewhere else, but for us moving here it truly was greener. I would have never landed here it was not for my wife. She was born and raised here in Iowa. I visited here with her in September of 2008. I could not believe how beautiful it was up here. I told my wife I could definitely live in Iowa. By the end of 2009 we had bought our 63 acre farm. It took us until October of 2018 to get retired and to sell our assets in Arlington. We sold our two houses, thinned out a lot of unneeded "stuff" and moved to our farm in Iowa. We had already started construction of our pole barn house and shop in the summer of 2018. We worked on it thru the winter of 2018 and moved in May of 2019. Was moving 700 miles difficult and stressful....yes. Was building a new house/shop difficult and stressful....yes. Was it all worth it......YES !!!

Some people have asked how we found our farm. We found it on YouTube. The original video from 2008 is still on YouTube. Here it is if you want to watch it. BTW....We got the place for $1500 an acre and we built our house right where he is suggesting at the end of the video.

Iowa hunting land for sale -- 60 acres - YouTube
                        Do you have to reside in Iowa to get a archery landowner tag? Or is owning land enough?

I’d love to own land in the Midwest.

Comment

Utah, Idaho or Montana...I’ll trade winter for these dog days of summer...grew up in Michigan...beautiful state...but the struggle is too real there now....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                            I'd go back there, too. Lived up there for a long time. I'd have to find a place south of Anchorage on the Kenai Peninsula but I would hate the tourist season and all the snow. Interior AK is just brutally cold. Maybe try someplace in the southeast that isn't too easy to get to.
                            My body has changed or my mind has changed in recent years, or both. I used to be able to handle heat without any problem, at times I could handle cold, but other times, extreme cold I did not like. But after having heat stroke five or so years ago, when we were hiking mountains in Big Bend in July, in the middle of the day. I was told afterwards, that I would always have problems with the heat. For the first two or three years afterwards, I did not notice much problem dealing with high heat. I work outside in the middle of the day, year round. Have not really had any problems with heat, ever. But the last two years, I have noticed that if I am not careful, the heat will mess me up and can do so, in a hour or two of being out in the heat. I found I have to eat, have to consume salt, along with drinking water. When I am working, I just don't do so, I focus on what I am doing and not my condition. I also have to wear a hat, if I am in the direct sunlight. What I have also noticed, is I can be outside, when it's 30 degrees, walking around in a Tee shirt and shorts and not realize it's 30 degrees.

I know both Wyoming and Montana get very cold. I would love to live in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho. I figure in most of all three states, now days, there are more people, than I would want to deal with on a regular basis. I am sure, if I looked long enough, I could find places in all three of those states that have low enough populations and lack of tourists, to suit me.

Tourists are something I have long ago been tired of. I grew up not far from Port A., so during the summer we had lots of tourist. But then during the winter, we had snow birds. Then I moved the the New Braunfels area, not realizing what New Braunfels is known for. I am not into tubing, water parks, things like Six Flags, Sea World. ECT. So I moved to New Braunfels, the tourist capital of Texas, not knowing what I had done. I definitely don't want to move somewhere that gets a lot of tourists. For that reason, I know I would not want to move near Yellowstone. We went there once, I had no idea, the numbers of people from all over the world that go there, much of the year. So as beautiful as that place is, I don't want to live anywhere near it.

There is still so much undeveloped land in Alaska, I think it would be easier to find a area to live, that I would not have to deal with people often. But now thinking of what I have seen of Alaska on some shows, they do not seem to have many roads up there. So people traveling from one town or city to another are all going to be jammed on the same few roads. That and drug use seems to be pretty high up there, but then I know multiple areas of Wyoming have lots of problems with drugs. We went to Idaho Falls, Idaho a few years ago, there seems to be plenty of drugs there also, judging by the people we saw up there. It seems a lot of people in rural, areas up in the north west, get into using drugs, I guess because they don't have anything else to do. There are definitely some good people up there also. It is sad to see so many have chosen drugs as their past time. That mess, is not something I want to have to deal with often.

Comment

I like the little town I live in now of Veneta Oregon. It sits outside of town more of a rual area. We have the best of everything. Only 45 min to the coast and within 2 hours of the desert. We have blacktail, Roosevelt elk, Rocky Mountain elk, antelope, bear, sheep, goats, and the list goes on. Though I don’t agree with the political side of things in the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

New Hampshire. It's definitely not hot up there. It's beautiful and inexpensive. The only problem is that you might get snowed in sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X