No announcement yet.

Camper Purchase Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chef, if you look around you can find a gently used RV and let someone else take the hickey on a new purchase. I have had 5th wheel and a motorhome for family RV's. Both the 5th wheel and the motorhome were brand new. If I ever get another one, it will be gently used.

Get dual air conditioners if at all possible. We do a lot of tailgateing in College Station and the 5th wheel was never quite cool enough during the daytime. It had one AC and was 30 amp. The motorhome is 50 amp with dual A.C.'s. All the difference in the world.

The issue with a motorhome is that you don't have a drive around vehicle when you get to your destination unless you want to break camp every time you leave the unit. You can elect to pull a vehicle with a motorhome but that is personal preference

If you elect to purchase an RV to pull, make sure your pickup will do the job. I am leery of pulling just about any RV with a 1/2 ton truck but that is just me. Make sure the engine and the transmission are up to the job. A transmission cooler is also very nice to have in my opinion. Good luck on your purchase and enjoy!

Comment

5'rs are nice and pull better. Seems to be more bunkhouse models in the bumper pulls tho. I like the bumper pull mainly cuz the back of my truck is usually full of bikes, chairs, cookers, firewood, stuff, and the wiz wagon if needed.
      Lots of 30 amp hookups in the older parks so wiring the second a/c with it's own plug can sure be handy! That way you run a separate cord to one of the regular plugs and you can run both units at a 30 amp hookup.

Comment

So many choices and I can tell you the first one you get will not be the perfect one, because there are not any perfect RV's in terms of layout, size, amenities. They are all a trade off.

My personal opinion is that unless you just have to have one right now, spend a lot of time doing research, looking at them at dealerships, RV shows etc. because their value drops like a rock in most cases.

The other reason to wait is that because of this pandemic we are in, RV's are flying off the lots and dealers are not having to deal on them. That being said, in another year, there are going to be tons of used RV's on the market you will be able to get a great deal on. Most people who buy campers get into it and out of it within 1-2 years after the newness wears off and the thing just sits at the side of the house or in paid storage.

Comment

I can’t tell you what specific trailer to buy but these are a few of the wants/needs on our next purchase:

* Definitely will be a 5th wheel. The tow experience is soooo much nicer on a 5th wheel vs bumper pull regardless of tow vehicle. If you and your wife would actually like some privacy, 5th wheel floor plans typically offer this over bumper pulls.

* Bunkhouse model with a rear slide out. 1/2 bath in the rear would be a nice bonus as well.

* At least 1 slide in the kitchen/living area.

* Slide preferred in the “master” bedroom.

* Dual A/C and upgraded insulation package. This should be standard in Texas.

* Outdoor kitchen preferred.

* Prefer shower/toilet to be accessible without having to go into the “master” bedroom.

* Gel coat exterior over aluminum.

I would look at the used market. These things depreciate so fast that you will get a lot nicer trailer looking at 2-4 year old models vs new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If your patient and do your homework Crankyape auction has a place in Georgetown. www.crankyape.com and they do have RV's that sell every Wednesday. They usually give a pretty good assessment of them. If you go with a 5th wheel I would highly recommend the Reese Gooseneck Box. Get that big ole 5th wheel hitch out of your truck.

Comment

Lots of input!!! Just what we wanted.... I have a 2020 Ram Cummins shortbed so it should be able to handle just about anything (within reason). I guess its time to start doing some research!!! Thanks again guys....

Comment

I know an insurance agent that would be worth talking to prior to your purchase. He does tons of claims. Not sure if he charges a consultation or not. Pm if interested and I can find out

Comment

High speed low drag, very well thought out

Travel Trailers, Off-Road Adventure Toy Haulers, Microlite Campers, & Teardrop Trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                    High speed low drag, very well thought out

https://www.intechrv.com/models/sol/horizon/
                    GOOD GRIEF 31k?! I can get a new 30' trailer for that $$$$.

Comment

Good thing there are so many choices

Comment

Camper Purchase Help

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                        Lots of input!!! Just what we wanted.... I have a 2020 Ram Cummins shortbed so it should be able to handle just about anything (within reason). I guess its time to start doing some research!!! Thanks again guys....

Do you have a 5th wheel hitch for it yet? If not PM me if you go the 5th wheel route. I have a Curt Q16 slider hitch and gooseneck adapter that I want to replace with a Goosebox.

Choose your hitch wisely with the Ram short bed so this doesn’t happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Do you have a 5th wheel hitch for it yet? If not PM me if you go the 5th wheel route. I have a Curt Q16 slider hitch and gooseneck adapter that I want to replace with a Goosebox.

Choose your hitch wisely with the Ram short bed so this doesn’t happen.

Ouch!!!

Comment

Make sure it has a 4 seasons insulation package. Most trailers don’t have good insulation. Mine has an upgraded ac but not good insulation. Heat of the summer it struggles.

Comment

I'll also add from talking to friends who bought new, they had more issues right off the lot than I had with a 4 year old model. It was a common statement to spend the first few nights camping within easy drive of the dealer to take it back with the list of issues.
                              Nothing major, but still a pain for the money spent.

Comment

I always heard the rule of thumb that any RV will only be 20 degrees cooler than what it is outside

Comment

Working...
                                X