NM Governor's Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    I didn't think of that, but I'd definitely consider it as well. I'd check into the tax implications of selling first though. If I had to give Uncle Sam 25-30% of the proceeds, I'd likely not sell.
    The thought of paying uncle sam 30% of the proceeds sickens me as well, but you gotta spend money to make money! I'll still come out WAY ahead.

And, if it doesn't make sense, or I can't get a fair price, I'll just go shoot the bighorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      That's exactly what I would do as well.

Honestly, the value of that one sheep is worth so much more.

If you have debts, pay them off.
      Fund your kids college.
      Pay off your house.
      Go hunting in Africa, New Zealand, Alaska, and basically wherever you want.
      My thoughts as well. I have no debts, and no kids yet, but I have been house shopping this summer and this would allow me to put some more money down, as well as still go on a great hunt of my choosing.

And, I'll just keep my fingers crossed I draw one of the sheep tags I've been putting in for in the next 30 years.

Comment

Nice Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
          My thoughts as well. I have no debts, and no kids yet, but I have been house shopping this summer and this would allow me to put some more money down, as well as still go on a great hunt of my choosing.

And, I'll just keep my fingers crossed I draw one of the sheep tags I've been putting in for in the next 30 years.

If I remember right....you have been pretty good on draw hunts.

Was that you that won the island draw hunt in Florida?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Go guided, why waste your $20 once in a lifetime draw for a $250,000+ hunt for a DIY hunt that will be great, but will you see sheep? Lot's of questions to get answered.

How many of these saying a DIY hunt have successfully hunted sheep? Just asking. If they have, a HUGE CONGRATS to them! Awesome accomplishment!
            I have , last fall.
            Judging the horns will be the most difficult, finding them not as hard.
            No need to pay out the nose for a guided hunt if he doesn't want to or can't afford it.
            Nice to see folks without the deep pockets getting once in a lifetime trophies on their own.

Comment

The bighorns love to hang out on the side of the road. Every time I am there, that is where I see them. 2 miles in on mountain peaks? Nope. Roadside, able to be hit by cars? You bet.

Congrats OP! Going to be an awesome hunt, and I've heard their meat is some of the best.

Comment

Congrats on a dream come true!

Good luck with your decision and the hunt if that is what happens. I never would have thought of selling it, but who knows with that sitting in my pocket. I also wouldn't know what to do about guided vs unguided either, so wow you have some big decisions to make!
                Last edited by Hockley; 07-01-2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Don't sell, hunt the sheep!

You'll make plenty of $ in your lifetime to keep at it with no debt. That being said, good luck either way. I think it is cool you have the option.

But I say hunt the sheep

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
                      Don't sell, hunt the sheep!

You'll make plenty of $ in your lifetime to keep at it with no debt. That being said, good luck either way. I think it is cool you have the option.

But I say hunt the sheep
                      I tend to agree with this. Definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. My biggest decision would be guided vs unguided. I guess that would boil down to how much time you had to invest in the scouting/hunt.

Comment

Literally a once in a lifetime opportunity. Awesome! If you want more money, go buy a few lottos with that same luck sprinkled in .

Hope to see a thread here of you chasing em!

Comment

a friend just got told he won the NM Council of Outfitters 50/50 raffle...won $6000. one entrance, congrats Jerry

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Money comes and goes, it’s a material thing.

Something that will never leave you or can ever be taken away is the experience and the memories you will have made from a ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity. Get together with your family and closest buddies, get up in the mountains and get your sheep. The memories made and the experiences had will change everyone of your lives for the better.

I guarantee the dream hunts you want to do in the future will be attainable without the hypothetical amount of money you could get selling the tag. Haha heck I’ll throw some offers at you for the tag if you’re not going to keep it

Comment

I would sell it for sure! You could do several once in a lifetime hunts with that money! I also have never been on a sheep hunt so don't get the hype of that much $ for one animal. Congrats on drawing the tag and good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Congrats../ and that would be a tough decision for me. Good luck either way

Comment

Working...
                                X