No announcement yet.

NM Governor's Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s easy to throw around numbers in the 6 figures for a sheep tag but it’s another thing entirely to actually find a buyer at that price. Places like WSF have a huge audience so it’s easier for them. Plus the season is less than 2 months away.

Comment

You could do a lot of amazing hunting for 100k. Or even 50k for that matter! Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
        Well, hate to disappoint, but after speaking with the NM biologist and finding out how much it is worth, I'm considering selling the tag. I would use some of the proceeds to book something like a stone sheep hunt, and pocket the rest. I can't justify hunting a ram for well over a hundred grand.

Soooo, does anybody have any other good sheep hunt recommendations $30k or under?

Let the lashing begin...I'll still do a live hunt!

Chris
        I didn't think of that, but I'd definitely consider it as well. I'd check into the tax implications of selling first though. If I had to give Uncle Sam 25-30% of the proceeds, I'd likely not sell.

Comment

Check with a3 outfitters. They could give you some good advice on what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The tag allows you to hunt August through December in a unit of your choosing, except the unit chosen by the auction winner. You can hire a guide or DIY. Success rates with guides are 100%.

Chris

Are you sure it isn’t ANY unit, other than what the auction winner chooses?

Comment

We just drove through Santa Fe today.. all the way across the state... Absolutely beautiful country!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

It would be easy to find a buyer for that tag, all you have to do is ask some of the premier outfitters in the area and I'm sure they have a list of people who want that tag.

I might sale it as well if the state allowed it. I'm not a sheep nut and that money could be used to check a few bucket list hunts off. My dream hunt is a dahl sheep and #2 is a mountain goat, the only reason I haven't done one is because I'm in my mid 30's and I want something to look forward to in the years to come.

Comment

That is awesome. Congratulations!!! Dream hunt

Comment

Well, hate to disappoint, but after speaking with the NM biologist and finding out how much it is worth, I'm considering selling the tag. I would use some of the proceeds to book something like a stone sheep hunt, and pocket the rest. I can't justify hunting a ram for well over a hundred grand.

Soooo, does anybody have any other good sheep hunt recommendations $30k or under?

Chris

I would get in touch with someone at DSC, and/or SCI, and name your price. If you get it, great! If you don’t...enjoy!

Comment

Give the Grand Slam Club Ovis a call also, they could tell you who would need that tag to finish their slam or more

Comment

Edit! Just read your post. Can’t say I blame you.

Comment

That $20 is worth $115-140K. Congrats!! Lots of sheep hunters are unsure if they will be able to travel out of country this year. Driving to NM might make it more valuable!

Comment

Chris
                            That's exactly what I would do as well.

Honestly, the value of that one sheep is worth so much more.

If you have debts, pay them off.
                            Fund your kids college.
                            Pay off your house.
                            Go hunting in Africa, New Zealand, Alaska, and basically wherever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              That's exactly what I would do as well.

Honestly, the value of that one sheep is worth so much more.

If you have debts, pay them off.
                              Fund your kids college.
                              Pay off your house.
                              Go hunting in Africa, New Zealand, Alaska, and basically wherever you want.
                              Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                                Are you sure it isn’t ANY unit, other than what the auction winner chooses?

Correct, poor wording on my part. The auction hunter can't hunt in the unit picked by the raffle ticket winner and vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                                X