2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Don't know about the weather, but I'm planning a "retreat" that last weekend too with a few days in front of and after the weekend... It will be good to be out in the brush country and actually hunt! Been working every trip this year so far...
    I'm on call again for the rifle opener. That week before (especially Friday before rifle) has been good to me.

I dont plan on shooting a buck this year but there is always that awww hail look at him chance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a good feeling something happens in the next 24 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's been 8 years since I have been able to bow hunt due to work but for the first time in a while I am very jealous of you guys who get to. The weather so far this season has been awesome for bow season, not too hot like the last couple years. Enjoying all the pictures so far, y'all keep it up!

Comment

New Houston county landowner with question on harvest strategy. Not sure how many bucks I’ll see that meet the spread.

Should I take the first one I see if that happens in the archery stand or wait for rifle season and the rut thinking the big boys may be on the move?

I have tons of does on the cams but no shooter bucks so there isn’t a specific ‘target’ in mind.

What is y’alls thinking in these parts?

Comment

Originally posted by shake_n_bake View Post
            New Houston county landowner with question on harvest strategy. Not sure how many bucks I’ll see that meet the spread.

Should I take the first one I see if that happens in the archery stand or wait for rifle season and the rut thinking the big boys may be on the move?

I have tons of does on the cams but no shooter bucks so there isn’t a specific ‘target’ in mind.

GarGuy is who you’re looking for on answers lol. Johnny maybe. I know last year beginning of rifle season bucks were all over the place. I wouldn’t limit myself to just the deer on the property. The guys that live in Houston county seem to like late season because bucks hit the corn harder. Might wanna wait

Comment

Originally posted by shake_n_bake View Post

Personally I don't shoot any does until I shoot the buck I am after.. Sometimes you don't even know he's around until one of your does goes into heat then he comes out of nowhere. The bucks in my area seem to be bachelored up a little late this yr, once those groups break up you will catch bucks from your neighbors bachelor groups. Its the great re-shuffle that happens every yr ha

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                Personally I don't shoot any does until I shoot the buck I am after.. Sometimes you don't even know he's around until one of your does goes into heat then he comes out of nowhere. The bucks in my area seem to be bachelored up a little late this yr, once those groups break up you will catch bucks from your neighbors bachelor groups. Its the great re-shuffle that happens every yr ha

I don’t shoot does at all on my etx places.... these does/bucks are just to weary i keep my footprint and activity at an absolute bare minimum

Comment

Im a get does before they get bred guy. That said Im also in houston county (no deer there) and I see the same bucks year after year for the most part. There are still bucks that we see on the hoof or on camera that may not be seen again. Just the same the home body bucks may leave long enough for you to think the neighbor whacked him only to show back up. When the boys getting to doggin them girls who knows whats gonna happen.

My thoughts are, if you nail down certain buck in that part of the world, you need to seal the deal by thanksgiving preferably sooner. After that you may need a muzzleloader. But what do I know, Ive only been hunting the same dirt my whole life

Comment

I don't like to shoot does, unless I have a head shot with rifle @ 40 yards or less, so to keep disturbance at a minimal. I do see different bucks late October to mid November, so don't worry if you don't have a target buck there now. Things can change quickly.
                    Good Luck!

Comment

Well winds picked up doubt much moves in this, this morning should put a few acorns on the ground. With that said Next few days should be good though

Comment

Slim Pickens on bucks I've caught on camera, any guesses on this guys spread? Looking for sumn legal for my sons first buck lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t think he will get there. Nice buck though!

Comment

Originally posted by Anon1118 View Post
                            Slim Pickens on bucks I've caught on camera, any guesses on this guys spread? Looking for sumn legal for my sons first buck lol

12 inch spread and very young. He will be an East Tx stud in a few.
                            Good luck!

Comment

Hope so if he can stay away from the neighbors lol

Comment

Put in 7 food plots last week of Sept that are coming up nice.

I hunted opening weekend in Marion/ Cass county and seen lots of deer movement every sit.
                                Then i sat a few times at home in Gregg co and saw several deer in the evenings.
                                No shooters just dinks and doe.
                                Have a few on camera I’ll be after next week, should start seeing some new ones too.

Gregg Co. 9

Marion Co. 8

Cass Co. 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X