Pheasant Hunting in South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    I hunt a few miles from Burke, in Gregory. Pheasant capital of the world as far as I can tell. I've never missed a limit in 15 years. Never missed a 40-man limit on occasion.

October weather should be mild, but i've had snow before then too. Bring layers. Good walking boots. Briar pants or chaps is a must. I think most prairie dog towns are several hours west of there. I don't know of any that are even close, and I feel like I would know as much as I've gone.

Visit Pete's Taxidermy in Burke. It's a cool place to visit.
    Spot on, don't forget to visit Dallas SD, Frank Days, food is pretty good and the waitresses are interesting to say the least.

Comment

I haven't been in a few years. We use to hunt out of Redfield, S,D. We hunted on land owned by Mike Yost. He's a great guy. Has a lot of birds but they are wild birds and not planted birds so you will have to hunt them.

Comment

Bringing this up to the top. We leave out for Pierre SD in a couple of weeks. Have done a lot of internet scouting but would appreciate anyone's input if you've hunted around there. We plan to do all (or mostly all) public land hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
          Spot on, don't forget to visit Dallas SD, Frank Days, food is pretty good and the waitresses are interesting to say the least.
          Fact!

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
            Bringing this up to the top. We leave out for Pierre SD in a couple of weeks. Have done a lot of internet scouting but would appreciate anyone's input if you've hunted around there. We plan to do all (or mostly all) public land hunting.

It is pronounced "PIER" don't say Pierre.

Any specific questions? I hunt up there yearly. All family from SD. I lived there a couple of years.

Comment

You'll want to hunt the first weekend for non-residents. SD residents get to hunt a week earlier.

Comment

Been a couple times and love it. We hunted near Mitchell, SD. Did a bunch of walking and all wild birds. Hunted with the Rooster Roost Ranch. Was a top notch organization and hunt....want to go back myself.

Good boots, good pants and warm clothes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6226 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	24662844

Name:	DSCF6161.jpg
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	24662845

Name:	DSCF6219.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	24662846
                Last edited by Smart; 09-30-2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

There was a good bit of walk-in access off of 83 south of Pierre. You’ll just have to check the current maps to see what is available this year. The grouse numbers have been better a little further west towards rapid city the last couple of years so hopefully you see the same thing there in addition to pheasants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be there for the opener. Sorry do not have info on that area

Comment

Went a few years ago had a lot of fun and killed quite a few birds. I wore just a light jacket and blue jeans, everyone else had on camo. Lol. Got to meet Shane Reynolds who use to pitch for the Astro’s, he was in our hunting group.

Comment

Have hunted a number of times near Chamberlain. Good boots, upland bird pants and layered clothing are must haves. You could have snow or it could be 75 degrees.
                        Even a bad bird year in SD is better than most other places you can hunt pheasants.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I go every year. I just got back from North Dakota-hunting sharpies and huns.
                          Alot of good info already mentioned. I'll add my 2 cents-I'd wear comfortable walking boots, youre gonna do some serious walking. I do NOT wear insulated boots-especially in october or november, with all the walking, you will not need them. Merino wool socks are your friend-don't wear cotton.
                          Also-get ammo now, dont wait or you may be sh!@ out of luck. I hunt with 3" no 5's (wild birds and unpredictable wind/weather). If they are penned-you might shoot 6's if you cant get 5's.
                          Regular leather/goatskin ranch or shooting gloves is all I use-especially early in the morning by noon they usually come off. It's better to go thinner layers that you can peel
                          off covered up with a windbreaker type jacket rather than a big bulky coat. You'll be more comfortable and definitely shoot better. I usually take a pair of rubber hunting boots that I bowhunt in(uninsulated) in case I get alot of snow overnight.
                          Have a blast and show us some pictures!!
                          Last edited by sticknstring; 09-30-2021, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Every town in SD claims they are the Pheasant Capitol of the World

Take care of your feet. Good socks, good waterproof boots.
                            Briar pants/chaps
                            Layer your clothes. Could be single digits temps or could be in the 70's.
                            Even when it's cold you will be sweating with all the walking.
                            Private is more birds and less walking, public is a tougher hunt.

Some public areas require non-toxic shot. #4 steel duck loads work well.
                            #6 lead for everything else.

Comment

Go in early to mid November (or sooner if its 60 or below so the dogs dont overheat). Use a 20 guage its much sportier and lighter to use. Dont ever shoot a bird on the ground. Walk around with a bottle of water on you. Just buy pheasant load, ive never once used duck load on a pheasant unless when I was in college and poor. Get waterproof boots like irish setters (dont get insulated unless your walking around in the snow). Lastly wear boxer briefs so you dont get wedgies tromping around everywhere.

Enjoy it.

Go prarie dog shooting its a blast.

UPDATE: Dont be the guy that wears camo unless thats all you have. I wear blue jeans or jeans with chaps and hunting boots. My top half just depends on the weather so a tshirt, hoodie, or winter orange hunting jacket with hat. Ive guided and hunted pheasants since I was a kid. You want to be comfortable!
                              Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 09-30-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I went with a group of about 20. We hunted private land in the Kennebec area. We didn't do that much walking. About 8 of us started on one side of the field, sometimes grassy areas and other times corn fields. The other 12 stood at the other end of the field. The walkers pushed the birds to the others and when the birds got squeezed they flew everywhere. I still remember the first burst of birds. It was amazing. Like dove hunting, always shoot up. We had one walker just inside the corn rows follow a low bird to the outside. When he shot there was a guy out in the field. I saw him drop and scream. I went running to him not knowing what to expect. When I got to him he was on his knees, face down rolling from side to side groaning. Turns out a BB hit him in the testicle. So besides don't shoot the dog and don't shoot hens....don't shoot other people.

Comment

Working...
                                X