No announcement yet.

Frio River 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man glad we went early, sounds like we had it pretty good compared to now on the flow. Doesn't matter though, the beer is still cold and it's the Frio! You gents have a good time!

Comment

We are going next week for a few days. I don't care if we can't float it. I bet I can find a place to soak in the river, some cold drinks and some good food.

I have had a busy summer and I am worn out, ready for a couple days of sleeping late and relaxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        Once you get out of the park you wont go back. Unless you have kids that enjoy the dance at night.

Trips have been much more pleasing since we quit going into the park
        No kids. We just like hiking the trails. Even though we’ve done them all.
        Sitting below the **** is nice as well.

Gonna start looking at houses to rent nearby. Preferably on the river, and hopefully with a pool. Sometimes the crowds are ridiculous. Go there to get away from people and have more people around than I do at home.

Comment

We were there last week just below frio country lowest it has been for us in the last 5 years but still a great time as always just hot and dry around there and later in the day the water is not Frio...

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
            No kids. We just like hiking the trails. Even though we’ve done them all.
            Sitting below the **** is nice as well.

Gonna start looking at houses to rent nearby. Preferably on the river, and hopefully with a pool. Sometimes the crowds are ridiculous. Go there to get away from people and have more people around than I do at home.
            The farther North you go from Concan, the less crowds. We stay outside of Leakey but do go into Garner 1 day to hike Baldy and geocache. Concan and Garner State Park are almost like Mardi-Gras in New Orleans now. Everyone trying to blare their stereos louder than the group next to them, crowded river and trash being left everywhere. If I wanted all that, I wouldn't come to God's country to get away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              The farther North you go from Concan, the less crowds. We stay outside of Leakey but do go into Garner 1 day to hike Baldy and geocache. Concan and Garner State Park are almost like Mardi-Gras in New Orleans now. Everyone trying to blare their stereos louder than the group next to them, crowded river and trash being left everywhere. If I wanted all that, I wouldn't come to God's country to get away from it.
              Amen to that... we went to a friends house up near leakey and acatually kayacked had to walks a bit but the water was much better we may move up next year tired of the trash in both people and literal...

Comment

Any updates from this weekend?
                We are going on the 30th.

Wonder if the forecasted rain this week will help the water level at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies12 View Post
                  Any updates from this weekend?
                  We are going on the 30th.

Wonder if the forecasted rain this week will help the water level at all.

Same. Excited to see rain forecasted there and leaky Sunday-Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We’re headed to the Frio on the 27th. Hopefully it doesn’t rain the whole time we’re there.

Comment

We just got back from a week up there. We didn't float or even bring Kayaks due to the flow being below 20 cfs. We just set up some easy-up tents over the water, popped some chairs in waist deep and had a dang good time. I'm learning to fly-fish and caught a lot of fish (mostly bluegill) using a very small sinking nymph (not sure of the technical fly-fishing terminology). Met some great people from other parts of the state and consumed plenty of XX's!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        We just got back from a week up there. We didn't float or even bring Kayaks due to the flow being below 20 cfs. We just set up some easy-up tents over the water, popped some chairs in waist deep and had a dang good time. I'm learning to fly-fish and caught a lot of fish (mostly bluegill) using a very small sinking nymph (not sure of the technical fly-fishing terminology). Met some great people from other parts of the state and consumed plenty of XX's!
                        Nice! Now that's a good time!

Comment

Been here since Monday and heading home tomorrow. Stayed in Leakey at Pecan Farm. Great place to stay. They have a swimming hole with a rope swing and 15’+ high cliff. Only float that we even tried was Happy Hollow. I’d estimate 30-40% walking for me at 220lbs. Took us 2:15hr to float/walk it. Was ok, but not worth floating twice. Went to GSP and hiked some trails and swam at the swimming hole there. No dance at GSP and unless you go on your own before 8pm. Went to the “Quince” on the Nueces River in Camp Wood. Water was super clear (more so than any spot I’ve seen in the Frio) and 13-15’ deep at that spot. 8-10’ cliff to jump from and free.

Comment

Frio was pretty dang low and very slow going. Still, it’s hard to complain about that piece of Texas.

Comment

I got back Monday. I killed an axis doe, drank cold beer, dug some arrowheads and soaked in a couple of my go to swimming holes away from the crowds. God's Country...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We just got back from the Medina river and it was also very low. Still had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X