No announcement yet.

Informal Survey: Kayak Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a kayak and used it all of the time until we had our son. Now it has sat for 7 years.

Comment

Been kayak fishing since 97. I fish 1 or 2 times a week March through june. I love fall fishing also but fish less because I hunt more. I have probably owned a dozen kayaks over this time.

Comment

I bought a fishing kayak and sold it less than a year later. Way too much work for fishing.

Comment

Bought 2 fishing kayaks, they now collect dust, and use a kevlar canoe with rudder. Its a way better option for me personally. Rarely fish alone. a) its lighter b) Fish the bay a lot and if its too windy for us both to fish one paddles and and the other holds position. c) Rudder makes for effecient paddling and we cover a lot more water and get less tired. d) We can also stand in it e) just need a hand bilge for any water that come in.

Comment

Try to use mine every weekend.

Comment

have 3 collecting dust

Comment

I have 5 "recreational" kayaks that we use frequently during the summers. We do a little fishing while we paddle, but that's not typically our primary objective.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Use mine several times a month. During the crappie spawn it allows myme to get into places motorized craft cannot go. Same goes for fishing the back bays.

Comment

We have cheapies but we use them all the time and I do a lot of fishing out of mine. I do live in a prime floating/fishing area, so it’s not any trouble. If I was having to travel 30 minutes to an hour to put in, I’d probably just keep a boat.

Comment

I bought a kayak and use it all the time.

I don't get to use it as much right now because I have a 6 month old baby at home, but it still gets used once a month or so. Before the baby, I fished a tournament series here in DFW. Wish I had more time to put my yak to use. Wife and I are moving into a community with a 10 acre fishing lake and I can use it there, so hoping I will get a little more time on the water now.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                          Loved it when I first got one! I went thru several and ended up with a really nice Hobie! Fished all over fresh and salt and made some great memories! Favorite was probably fishing the near rigs and getting towed around by kings, a few ling, and always the unwanted sharks. A real adventure if you dont have an offshore boat.

With that said I'm older and lazier now and havent used it in a couple of years. If anybody is looking for a older Hobie pro angler i might just have one for sale.
                          What kind of price are you thinking? I may have someone that might be interested.

Comment

Last option - bought a fishing kayak and later sold it.

I purchased a middle of the road fishing kayak a few years ago when my parents decided to buy a bay house and retire on the coast. Figured I'd use it to fish the lights in the canals and perhaps take a few trips to fish the rivers in central TX. In reality, it just didn't get much use so I sold it to someone living a few streets down.

Seems like most people I know that use their kayaks a lot fall into one of the two categories.
                            1. They have a lot of spare time
                            or
                            2. They live close to where they like to fish/kayak.

Comment

I fall into even a different category, I want one so bad ( native watercraft titan 13.5) but I also know it will be in the collecting dust group after a short period. I fish a lot ( flies for carp) but I have my dog with me all the time, and she is not very patient. No way she would ride, she didn’t want to ride on my bass boat. ( reason I sold it)

Comment

I've owned numerous kayaks and fished/hunted saltwater out of them while in South Texas. Now do a little fishing and mostly duck hunt WMA's with just one

Comment

Working...
                                X