No announcement yet.

Discount tire confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No less than E’s go on my ranch truck/daily driver. I had a similar experience with them when they didn’t have the Michelins I wanted. It was a bit of an argument but I got what I wanted.

Comment

Dickount Tire Sux......... I only use them for tire plug in a pinch and they always give me ***** about, "did the place you bought these tires from plug for free?" My answer is..... doesn't matter. And now this is new: Then we go inside and the "kid" tries to make me pick out what replacement tire I want in case they can't patch the one screw in the middle of the tire (not sidewall). DONE. Will just pay for a tire plug from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
        I've never had any problem with DT. Mrs got jerked around one time, she called me in tears. Didn't take but a few minutes for me to find the regional manager so I rang him up. He immediately called and ripped that salesman a new one, right in front of my wife. She got a good discount for her trouble.

*rant* - I would never run "car" tires on a truck. A truck is a utility vehicle; simply put, it's a tool. A truck is not a fashion accessory, nor is it a status symbol. I don't need or want "cool" tires, I want durable tires that aren't splashy when I have a load in the bed, or while towing a heavy trailer. Nothing is scarier than mushy sidewalls while towing. Many half ton trucks come from the factory with car tires, I think that this is a cost saving measure on the manufacturers part (how they can justify saving a few dollars on a $50k or more truck, is not just irresponsible, that's just soulless). If you use your truck as a truck, and not just a yuppie status symbol, put some LT tires on it. */rant*
        Well after taking a huge crash course on tire load ratings I can see where some people can say “ that brand x was the worst tire I ever bought These brands and very similar tire sizes are definitely comparing apple to oranges , the devil’s in the details
        I will use nitto as an example they have many similar sizes that are fit for my truck but are wildly different In load ratings and quality ( all with the same tread pattern)
        I can see were someone can easily buy a 4 ply SL tire over a 10-12 ply E rated As stated above if you don’t pay attention and buy LT D- E rated truck tires and only go by the sticker on the door it really should be criminal for a dealership to sell a truck with anything but a LT tire Or put a sticker for OEM recommend junk
        Attached Files
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-14-2020, 10:40 PM. Reason: I am learning

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          Well after taking a huge crash course on tire load ratings I can see where some people can say “ that brand x was the worst tire I ever bought These brands and very similar tire sizes are definitely comparing apple to oranges , the devil’s in the details
          I will use nitto as an example they have many similar sizes that are fit for my truck but are wildly different In load ratings and quality ( all with the same tread pattern)
          I can see were someone can easily buy a 4 ply SL tire over a 10-12 ply E rated As stated above if you don’t pay attention and buy LT D- E rated truck tires and only go by the sticker on the door it really should be criminal for a dealership to sell a truck with anything but a LT tire Or put a sticker for OEM recommend junk
          The P rated tires on half ton trucks have more to do with 90% of them being sold to yuppies that drive around town and never drive venture onto a gravel road or throw more than 2 bags of mulch in the bed.

For some reason, an F-150 has become a status symbol for people who don’t own tools, hunt, or do much outside other than golf. Those people want a cushy car like ride, not to feel potholes.

Comment

I have never been a fan of Discount Tire and have used Sams and now Costco for the last several years.

That being said, Costco has fast gone the way of Discount with very poor customer service.

Does anyone have a local tire shop in San Antonio/New Braunfels area that they recommend?

Comment

I hate Discount Tire. I use a local shop in Bonham and they do everything Discount does and it doesn't take an hour and a half to get a flat fixed. My time is worth more than their "free".

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                My family and I only use Discount.
                The last 2 trips for my daughter have been disappointing.
                She had the tires rotated and when she got home I noticed 2 lug nuts missing.
                I called them up and they said “they weren’t on there when we rotated them” I told them “well you’re the ones that installed the tires 5k miles ago, maybe your guy didn’t tighten them...” They took care of it.
                Last week she went back for a rotation and they said they couldn’t rotate them because there was a cross threaded wheel stud. Once again I had to tell them “y’all are the only ones who touch the tires. If it’s cross threaded you did it”. They took care of it again.
                As long as they keep taking care of me, I will continue using them.
                This sounds similar to my experiences as well and so far they have made things right.

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
                  Anytime I go to Discount Tire I never have a problem. Anytime my wife goes to Discount Tire they always try to sell her something she doesn't need. I have a problem with that I will never go back to Discount Tire.
                  EXACTLY. My wife took a tire for them to fix, they said it was too close to the edge(it wasn't) and tried to sell her a new one. I went up there and got it fixed no questions asked.

Comment

tires

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    I've never had a problem with dt
                    Me neither!!!!

Comment

They've gotten to be a PITA about off spec tire sizes.
                      He's looking out for his own liability and finances not giving the customer what he wants-- especially when you're replacing the exact same tire spec.
                      That is a significant difference in size at a full inch taller and 1/2" wider, but if you know they work and that's what you want, just insist or go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
                        The 65 tire is .54" taller, of course the 10ply tire will be stiffer, but the DT isnt the one driving the truck everyday. I wouldn't get the SL rated tires, especially if you pull a trailer and drive ranch roads.
                        Over an inch taller.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Discount tire user here. I have had them order larger AT's after I lifted the front of my truck, they mounted them put it on the ground and helped me check for rubs/Issues. They said they would order a smaller set if they did not work. We did not have to do that but they were nice about it.

My neighbor had a set of tires mounted and drove the truck away. He did not like the look, took it back, and got a different set only paying the difference.

I have never had a problem with them and will continue to use them. The manager is the key, all of these shops hire the same non-skilled help to change, mount, and balance. Heck, when my son was in school several of his friends worked at both Discount and NTB depending on who had the better manager. I can tell you first hand that none of them had any business working on a lawnmower. They are given guides on how to do things and are supposed to follow them. Some do, some don't.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            Over an inch taller.
                            You cannot use a generic site to get actual tire height or width. You need to go to that specific manufacturer and look up the specs. You can see almost an inch difference in the same specified size from different OEM's.

Comment

Ok truck needs a new set
                              I have 275/65/20 on a Chevy 1500 , run over to DT and they say I am definitely running the wrong size and need 275/60/20
                              Here is my beef the 65’s are E rated 10ply ( out of stock) , the 60’s are SL rated 4 ply ( in stock @ store)
                              And the sales guy keeps insisting my daily needs are a SL rated tire which I insist are definitely to lite duty for my ranch driving and trailer pulling

I said I could drive over to the local shop and they wouldn’t argue about it
                              Sales guy “ says he was just trying to look after my true needs “
                              But will have my E rated In and on by 115 tomorrow

Who is right me or DT ? wife thinks I should have listened to the tire guy
                              Who says rough ride , cruddy mpg , and hard on the vehicle running E’s
                              I use to work for DT, sadly this is VERY common and the guys dealing with customera are told to do this. Dont get me wrong, there are good guys that dont do this, but i saw it a lot. Ask him to check all nearby DT stores, or go get them somewhere else (if you need them now). They can also order them...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok truck needs a new set
                                I have 275/65/20 on a Chevy 1500 , run over to DT and they say I am definitely running the wrong size and need 275/60/20
                                Here is my beef the 65’s are E rated 10ply ( out of stock) , the 60’s are SL rated 4 ply ( in stock @ store)
                                And the sales guy keeps insisting my daily needs are a SL rated tire which I insist are definitely to lite duty for my ranch driving and trailer pulling

I said I could drive over to the local shop and they wouldn’t argue about it
                                Sales guy “ says he was just trying to look after my true needs “
                                But will have my E rated In and on by 115 tomorrow

Who is right me or DT ? wife thinks I should have listened to the tire guy
                                Who says rough ride , cruddy mpg , and hard on the vehicle running E’s
                                If your tires dont rub then you are right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X