No announcement yet.

The Fat G Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed reviews there. Some people love them, some people don’t. Those were not eaten. They were a small problem herd that showed up and would camp at feeders and eat all the corn. Our hogs aren’t even that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Fat G Ranch

Made what was supposed to be a quick trip to the ranch this weekend. We arrived Thursday night around 11PM. As soon as we pulled into camp, I popped a flat on my truck.

Fine. Not messing with that at night, let’s get some stuff unloaded and the generator on. Well, the generator wouldn’t start. It was acting fuel starved so I started checking everything. After about an hour of taking things apart and checking, I discovered it to be the remote start solenoid. I just pulled the plunger from it and she fired right up. I proceeded to jack my truck tire up and went to bed.

We get up Friday morning and go hunt. Pretty uneventful. Arrive back at camp and discover the ranger has a flat. Ugh. I’ll deal with that later as well. We eat breakfast. I drop the spare for my truck and go to put it on the front tire and it won’t fit.

Rim diameter was too small for the caliper and control arm to fit inside. Frustrated, I then jacked the rear of the truck, took off that tire and put it on the front. Then put the spare on the rear tire. Not a great idea to drive with two different sized tires on your rear wheels btw, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I then jacked up the ranger and took that wheel off as well and made the executive decision to burn the rest of our day in Del Rio. We crawl the 10 miles down the dirt road to get back to 277. I’ve got zero margin for error at this point. We limp down 277 at 40mph until we get to Del Rio. Pulled into “The Tire Shop” on E Gibbs. The guys there were fantastic. Fast, fair, and kind.

Big hole in the sidewall on my truck tire. They had a used tire with similar tread wear to my current set that I was able to use.

Ranger tire had 3 sidewall holes. They didn’t have the tire we needed and after calling all around town, nobody else did either. Ended up with a temporary solution and mounted a 10ply used truck tire to the rim.

We got back to camp and put the tire on the ranger. We had time to hunt that evening and had another uneventful hunt.

We hunted the next morning and I had 10 axis, but no shooters.

My boy was a trooper even though it was hot!!!

We filled feeders, mounted the TV in the cabin, fixed the stairs, and labeled our diesel cans. Also got the second feeder at the new acreage up and running with a new box and guts. She’s not pretty, but it was existing and will still work.

We rolled out around 2:30PM Saturday and headed back home. That was definitely a trying trip with a 14 and 5 year old and no other adults with the problems I had. Worked through it and I think it’s good for the boys to see it’s not always easy and fun.

Had a couple of encouraging pics on game cams. Our first nice Auodad on camera and a solid 10 in velvet.

Thanks for following along fellas/ladies. This thread is more for me, but I appreciate all of you that keep up and offer advice.

Last edited by CentralTXHunter; 07-15-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Love it. Great thread. Thanks for posting!

Comment

I'm in, been fun catching up! Keep at it...

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Awesome thread man. I hunt off 1024 on the Walker Ranch in Val Verde county. I love it out there. Place is looking great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool thread. Lotsa work goin on there. Watchin!

Comment

Brent,

I couldnt keep tires on my mule down in Mexico. Found the Tusk Terrabyte tire and got them from Rocky Mountain UTV or something like that. Put some good juice in them and havent had an issue again. They really werent that expensive and its worth the $$ to mark those tire issues off the list.

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                    Brent,

I couldnt keep tires on my mule down in Mexico. Found the Tusk Terrabyte tire and got them from Rocky Mountain UTV or something like that. Put some good juice in them and havent had an issue again. They really werent that expensive and its worth the $$ to mark those tire issues off the list.

I don’t doubt it Rex. I’ll look into those tires. The guys at the tire shop in Del Rio had some stupid thick stuff in a 5 gallon bucket that he highly recommended. He said “don’t put that Walmart bullsh*t in your tires”, lol. Next time we have a trailer down there, I’m going to load up the Ranger and have him inject all the tires. Also looking to pick up a couple of used Polaris rims and have a couple tires thrown on them to keep in the connex.

Comment

Couple of my leasemates ran to the ranch to get away for a few days this week. Joe connected with an awesome Auodad. Gotta work on their LDP skills though.

Comment

Great thread. Cool Auodad.

Comment

Nice auodad!! I like the pics, Joe's head looks longer than the auodad horns!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                            Nice auodad!! I like the pics, Joe's head looks longer than the auodad horns!! lol

It probably is, lol!

Comment

Mad a whirlwind trip to the ranch this weekend. Got to take my dad and my son and we had a great time. Just getting ready for the season.

Ranch was GREEN. Definitely thankful for the timely rains.

Axis herd is awesome. I lost count in this photo.

Saw some nice WT bucks on the hoof while riding around. All the animals appear really healthy. We don’t have many cameras running, but here’s a couple of pictures from some game cams before they either crapped out or the feeders did, lol. Apparently we still have one lone Barbado Sheep. Thought we whacked them all.

When you are remote, you have to make due with what you’ve got. I had a bad feeder motor and the set screw for the spin plate was seized. I had a new motor and spin plate, but it wouldn’t reach high enough to the funnel. Couple of screws and a koozie though and I’ve got a temporary fix.

We put out 45 sacks of corn this weekend. Adjusted feed times and repaired the feeders. Also tuned up the diesel generator. Few more minor things to get taken care of. Mainly anchoring down the two feeders on the new 110. Both of them were blown over. I’m excited to see what we harvest this year.

Comment

Great thread! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X