Seasoning cast iron cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mejor
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

That’ll do the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
        This is why I cringe when people say they use a grinder to slick cast iron. I’m sure this one had a grinder put on it trying to get years of built up grime off the sides, I bout it at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago and just now getting to stripping and seasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Good grief! What are we looking at here? Can you enlarge that so we can see it mo betta?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Burn you evil rancid seasoning.
          A good fire is the best non chemical way to strip them down.[emoji106]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            Good grief! What are we looking at here? Can you enlarge that so we can see it mo betta?
            It's the outside edge of a skillet that has grinder markings on it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
              I was just given some old rusted up pans and a small Dutch oven. I've never "restored" one. I have a huge Lodge skillet I use all the time. And a huge dutch oven that I use for all the stews, gumbeaux, and rice dishes. I've heavily used the lodge for about 6 years now and it's no where near smooth. I hate that rough finish on them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              I have taken an orbital sander to a lodge skillet to smooth the cooking surface. Just have to reseason afterwards. I have an old wagner that is smooth as can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                I have taken an orbital sander to a lodge skillet to smooth the cooking surface. Just have to reseason afterwards. I have an old wagner that is smooth as can be.
                I think I'm going to give it a shot and then re season. 5 years heavy use it should have been smooth by now. Was just scared too.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                  I think I'm going to give it a shot and then re season. 5 years heavy use it should have been smooth by now. Was just scared too.

That Kent Rollins feller recommends doing it to the lodge pans as soon as you bring it home. Then just reseason it

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    I have no clue how it got so enlarged

Comment

I season mine with onions jalepenos (they’re on the bottom)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally! After 6 years of seasoning I cooked eggs with my steak tonight and they did not stick a bit!
                        We have an old gas double oven. Bottom is broiler top is oven.

I have been leaving my big skillet in the bottom oven coated real good all the time when I'm not using it. Also started using metal spatula instead of wood on it. Getting good now!

Comment

Cook on it..That is the only way to get it good..It'll take about 50 years,to get it squared away![emoji38]What's funny.Is that nothing that's sold nowadays comes close to the 200 yr old skillets.I'm lucky.My mother has bought every Griswold,Corona,Wagner skillet she's ever seen.She loved going to Estate sales.
                          What's even funnier,is that old skillet's are way lighter than a lodge,or whatever it's called..Buy a seasoned skillet,and be done with it.Ebay,etc,etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great-looking victuals!

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                              Cook on it..That is the only way to get it good..It'll take about 50 years,to get it squared away![emoji38]What's funny.Is that nothing that's sold nowadays comes close to the 200 yr old skillets.I'm lucky.My mother has bought every Griswold,Corona,Wagner skillet she's ever seen.She loved going to Estate sales.
                              What's even funnier,is that old skillet's are way lighter than a lodge,or whatever it's called..Buy a seasoned skillet,and be done with it.Ebay,etc,etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                              I've got too from my grandma that who knows what brand or how old but they blow away everything else. My big skillet is a 15" or 17" lodge. That's the pic above. It gets used all the time. I eat a lot of meat.

I also have a big 3 gallon dutch oven I use for all my cajun stuff, frying, and chili.

Comment

I use a wire wheel on a grinder to take rust off...

When my wife's grandmother died they were throwing away a bunch of her stuff (she was an *******), but I snatched her old 10" cast iron skillet, and an 8" one with deep sides and a lid. They are much lighter than the lodge stuff, and smooth as a babies butt. That skillet hasn't left the stove since I brought it home, it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X