Seasoning cast iron cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
    I think this is worth the go. The only thing to be aware of is step one...unseasoning a seasoned skillet using the self cleaning function of an oven...will often get the control board so hot it fries the control board. Many built-in oven and freestanding range oven control board insulation and heat shielding is insufficient to block the extreme heat from cooking the control board. Id suggest for unseasoning...putting the pan on a burner with water and bring to boil, drop some dawn dish soap in and scrape the pan bottom and sides with with a metal spatula.

Ive got some cast iron pots to strip and reseason. I was gonna throw them on a smoker fire when smoking a brisket...then wash with soap.

Two nights ago...my daughter and I made grape leaf bacon fat greens on the smoker pit and the pan seasoning ruined the greens. Before we started, I could smell the seasoning rancidity and I even scrubbed the pot with hot soapy water...and it was better...but not good enough. I apologized profusely for pot choice...and was forgiven.

Thanks for bringing this up LadyHunts.

Comment

Someone posted this on a similar thread a couple years ago...I havent ever tried it but thought it was worth book marking. This was gonna be the next seasoning process. Ill have to reevaluate meow.

Comment

People say not to use soap because that’s what has always been said. My grandmother had some that she put in the dishwasher and it didn’t hurt.

Comment

anyone have a good method for sanding smooth a cast iron pan. I have tried, but because
          of the lip on a skillet the only good way is by hand. You cant get the wheel on an angle grinder flat on the surface and it will cause ridges.

Comment

Originally posted by acopperdawg View Post
            anyone have a good method for sanding smooth a cast iron pan. I have tried, but because
            of the lip on a skillet the only good way is by hand. You cant get the wheel on an angle grinder flat on the surface and it will cause ridges.
            Just my experience. Building up the seasoning to fill the low spots and beyond is the best and easiest way. I have a skillet from the 50s that is flat and some newer lodge skillets and the lodge started out with the texture but as I seasoned it over time it has smoothed out. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other in my experience.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll have to clarify. I don’t use the self cleaning option to strip. Mine ain’t all rusted up in the first place. I just scrub/wipe it up with hot water purdy good and go to town on the oil and baking process.

If I had a rusty one I’d likely hit it with a wire brush on a drill, then clean it up.

Comment

I collect and restore vintage cast iron, please don’t take a grinder or wire wheel to one. If you can’t get a good seasoning on a skillet try stripping it down to bare metal and start the seasoning process from the beginning.

Comment

The easiest and most consistent way that I have found to clean a rusty and or poor uneven seasoning from an iron skillet is with a gas grill.
                  If you have a fire going from burning brush that is a good way also.
                  An oven stinks up the house and it can make it stink also.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been using Crisbee for our old Griswold cast pans, and our griddle. They are all as non stick as any non stick pan we have. Usually just wipe them out and add a little crisbee and good to go.

We provide innovative cast iron seasoning products with a focus on quality, affordability, and customer service. R&D since 2012 & family business started in 2015. We also develop & distribute innovative solutions to further simplify caring for cast iron/carbon steel cookware and wooden cutting boards/butcher blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
                      I collect and restore vintage cast iron, please don’t take a grinder or wire wheel to one. If you can’t get a good seasoning on a skillet try stripping it down to bare metal and start the seasoning process from the beginning.
                      I bet you have some good input on this subject. What’s your process for seasoning, cleaning and maintenance of cast iron?
                      Thanks.

Comment

I do a full seasoning method, similar to ones that have been posted above, every so often. Right after a meal I rinse the skillet with hot water, scrape out all the crumbs/residue, and lightly scrub with a soap free sponge. Then if I know I’ll be using it I’ll pat it dry, toss it on a burner to get it hot, wipe it down with oil while it’s still hot, and let it cool on the stove top. Not sure if that’s the correct way to do it but it works pretty good for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post

I have purchased and restored a few. I would never use a grinder or such on an old piece. However I will use a light sand paper or disk on a brand new piece of lodge. Their pre seasoned coating is not good.

Beyond that. I rinse with hot water immediately after cooling. Place back on the burner and let it dry. Then put a thin coat of olive oil on it while it’s hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kent Rollins is the man. Lots of excellent videos. I especially like the stuffed pepper video. LOL

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                If the cast iron is "pitted" you need to sand it smooth. Than apply several coats of seasoning. To keep the seasoning DO NOT wash or scrub. One of these days I'm going to use my cast iron as a weapon on my wife because she always wants to scrub and wash mine with soap and water.
                                I always scrub mine right after I use it in hot soapy water, then set on the stove turn on the burner and let it get hot turn off the burner then squirt some peanut oil in it and wipe it out with a paper towel making sure it gets a good coat of oil. Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X