Killing poison ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
    stuff is difficult to kill. roundup or depending on the situation gas works also. gas kills grass and and just about anything.
    I like the gas treatment too. All the sprays I've tried, it comes right back next year.

Comment

Tordon if it is still available. I think it may require a license now for some reason... Kills cactus as well.

Comment

A heavy dose of Roundup will do the trick. I had it bad on my 25 acres and I pretty much wiped it out.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Think I’ll try the round up first.

Comment

Don’t burn it after!!!

Comment

Crossbow is remedy and 2-4D. Has anyone ever had a tree die from spraying remedy on other plants by it? I haven't.

Comment

4 - 5 oz of round up (or generic glyposate) per gallon. Add MSO (basically vegetable oil) at 1 oz as a surfactant. Kills Poison Ivy in a week. Will not harm trees. I use it all of the time.

This works on green brier, too. Make sure you spray from 2' up down to the ground all around the green brier.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                  Crossbow is remedy and 2-4D. Has anyone ever had a tree die from spraying remedy on other plants by it? I haven't.
                  Yes

Comment

I used bleach and it makes the plant unhappy but is not a resolution. Cut at base stops vine spread but the oil is bad news for 5 years or more, The decaying leaf in the dirt leaves oils. Takes a long time. Never made the error of burning. And it clings to your boots and/or laces. My enemy, Ivy or Oak. Round Up some success.

Comment

If you read the glysophate label, you will see a recommendation on there for poison ivy.

Comment

I used 50% diesel and 50% concentrated glysophate (43%). Had to keep spraying the shoots as they came up but it finally worked. Worked on green briar too.

Comment

I haven't messed with mixing diesel into roundup/remedy instead of water. But would diesel not tend to "burn" the leaves and defoliate the plant before the herbicide has time to work its way in?

I have heard of more people using diesel when treating cut stumps or girdled trees than herbaceous plants.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                            I haven't messed with mixing diesel into roundup/remedy instead of water. But would diesel not tend to "burn" the leaves and defoliate the plant before the herbicide has time to work its way in?

I have heard of more people using diesel when treating cut stumps or girdled trees than herbaceous plants.
                            No idea. Diesel was recommended to me. I liked the smell and it killed stuff dead. I fought 200' of green briar and poison ivy and won. I'm certain other things would work too.

Comment

Ill report back on the results of the Remedy. Ive been using it to try and kill tallow trees. Sprayed quite a bit of poison ivy as well. Ive been mixing the regular dose of 2.5 oz per gallon with water.

Don't mean to hi jack the thread but have any of yall had to kill a bunch of tallow trees?

Comment

Originally posted by Troutamer View Post
                                Ill report back on the results of the Remedy. Ive been using it to try and kill tallow trees. Sprayed quite a bit of poison ivy as well. Ive been mixing the regular dose of 2.5 oz per gallon with water.

Don't mean to hi jack the thread but have any of yall had to kill a bunch of tallow trees?
                                Remedy will kill tallow stumps mixed ~25% in water, oil, or diesel. You can also girdle/spray the trunk of a standing tree.

Trycera, Garlon4, Garlon3A, and Tordon(restricted) will work too.

Comment

Working...
                                X