2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
    I'll probably just get 4 or 5 and see how it works out. The HOA loves me anyway and sends me letters often.
    If you do the book of faces Look up Sea Breeze Hens. They are in San Leon and have tons of cool birds.

Tractor supply will have birds. I have bought a few from there.

But we/I like the different birds now. So we go for pairs from Sea Breeze when we replace them.

takes a few months before they start laying then they lay for a few years. then they end up in a pot.
    (do not tell my girls about the last part they think I give them away)

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
      state law says you can have them. The HOA can say where the coup is in relationship to other homes. Thats the loop hole.

In the law they say no Roosters because they are roosters that crow.
      Hens make racket from time to time but all in all they are quiet.

I live in a subdivision. I have 8 birds in my back yard. I bribe my neighbors with eggs. And they do not care. There are others in my subdivision that have birds but its the do not ask do not tell type of situation.

Fresh eggs are awesome
      I like the way you think.

I'm about to put this idea into motion.

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
        DO you have to have a certificate or "license" to sell eggs? We've checked up here near Weatherford. To be able to sell.
        sorry I never saw this post.

As this is not a business and they are "personal" there are no rules for selling them.

I am sure that if we made it a business for tax purposes we would need to follow FDA rules for processing and selling.

Comment

If you do the book of faces Look up Sea Breeze Hens. They are in San Leon and have tons of cool birds.

Tractor supply will have birds. I have bought a few from there.

But we/I like the different birds now. So we go for pairs from Sea Breeze when we replace them.

takes a few months before they start laying then they lay for a few years. then they end up in a pot.
          (do not tell my girls about the last part they think I give them away)
          What’s the catch?
          They are a lot more expensive than most places.

Comment

state law says you can have them. The HOA can say where the coup is in relationship to other homes. Thats the loop hole.

In the law they say no Roosters because they are roosters that crow.
            Hens make racket from time to time but all in all they are quiet.

I live in a subdivision. I have 8 birds in my back yard. I bribe my neighbors with eggs. And they do not care. There are others in my subdivision that have birds but its the do not ask do not tell type of situation.

Fresh eggs are awesome
            Cities, counties and HOA's can and some will make the restrictions so that it will be next to impossible to keep them. As in the coop/run must be 200 feet from any residence when the normal sized lot for that subdivision is 100 X 100 feet. Others I have seen are no insect pests, no smell can be detected within (so many) feet from the coop/run, You can clean the area 3 times a day and an inspector can still find Some smell and/or insects any time. Check out Backyardchickens.com for a list of state regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
              How loud and smelly are they? I live in a neighborhood that restricts them, but I think it would be fun to have some.
              Our HOA restricts them as well but we have had ours for about 18 months with no issues (knock on wood). We started with 3 and now have 6 total and we live in a typical neighborhood. They do make some noise (mainly after laying an egg) but no more than most dogs in my neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                What’s the catch?
                They are a lot more expensive than most places.
                Not really considering if you order mail order you get chicks that are 2 days old when shipped and you do not get to pick your chicks. At least @ TS they are at last a couple days older and you get to pick the birds you want. Do some reading so you can spot illnesses. I bought some from TS last year for the first time and they were less than mail ordering when you factor in shipping charges.

Comment

So we have 20 something but there is one I’m not sure pf breed. Can someone tell me what this one is?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by basschsr View Post
                    So we have 20 something but there is one I’m not sure pf breed. Can someone tell me what this one is?
                    Looks like Ameraucana

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                      Not really considering if you order mail order you get chicks that are 2 days old when shipped and you do not get to pick your chicks. At least @ TS they are at last a couple days older and you get to pick the birds you want. Do some reading so you can spot illnesses. I bought some from TS last year for the first time and they were less than mail ordering when you factor in shipping charges.
                      I buy from ideal poultry and they are a lot cheaper and shipping isn’t expensive.
                      I buy 30 at a time. I don’t have time to pick that many out.

Comment

Thanks Rubi. I believe you are correct. I looked up pics and found a few that look just like her.

Comment

Originally posted by basschsr View Post

We have about 6 that look like that one in the pic.

We call them Easter eggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Easter Eggers aren’t really a breed.
                            They are more of a mutt of a chicken that lay blue/green eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              Easter Eggers aren’t really a breed.
                              They are more of a mutt of a chicken that lay blue/green eggs.

That’s a fact. It’s one of the things my grandkids love about them. The different color eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                                That’s a fact. It’s one of the things my grandkids love about them. The different color eggs.

Yes sir.
                                I was just trying to point out that they don’t have a particular look like actual breeds of chickens.

Comment

Working...
                                X