No announcement yet.

2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a few silikes for my daughter! They are cool birds!

We also ordered meat chicks that will be here mid Sept and we built a chicken tractor for them.

We are looking at using Hayes farm in Cleburne to do the proceeding for this time and inves th ing in a plucker this spring.

Does anybody have any experience with Hayes??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

The wife found this guy buried under the hay inside one of the nesting boxes yesterday...i dont think shes gonna be cleaning out the coop anymore for awhile. He had 2 eggs in him, joke was on him though...the were fake eggs [emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by Silverado View Post
        The wife found this guy buried under the hay inside one of the nesting boxes yesterday...i dont think shes gonna be cleaning out the coop anymore for awhile. He had 2 eggs in him, joke was on him though...the were fake eggs [emoji38]

Had one a few weeks back with 2 fakes and 1 real. Last set of eggs that he stole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We got a couple of those plastic nesting boxes from TSC and screwed 'em to the coop wall about 2 ft above the floor (dirt). They stick out from the wall about a foot, too, so even if he slithered up the wall, he would still have to be a Ninja Rat Snake to get in.
          No snake seen since June, so I'm calling that a success.
          My Rat Snake just gets relocated to the other side of the pasture when I find him eating eggs; I don't mind him eating some, but I'd prefer him to eat the field rats/mice instead...

Comment

Anybody anywhere near the canton area or even somewhere between canton and lampasas in need of a rooster or two.by chance. They are in the 4 to 5 month old range. They were supposed to be barred rock but two of them have a rose comb like a dominiquer and the 3rd one has a straight comb. They are friendly and looking for a new address . My daughter has her little egg business and she sells eggs and buys feed with the money she makes then any left over is hers to keep as long as she takes care of them. She is wanting to sell them but at this point I'd just like to find a home for them

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
              Anybody anywhere near the canton area or even somewhere between canton and lampasas in need of a rooster or two.by chance. They are in the 4 to 5 month old range. They were supposed to be barred rock but two of them have a rose comb like a dominiquer and the 3rd one has a straight comb. They are friendly and looking for a new address . My daughter has her little egg business and she sells eggs and buys feed with the money she makes then any left over is hers to keep as long as she takes care of them. She is wanting to sell them but at this point I'd just like to find a home for them

Rooster and dumplings...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                Rooster and dumplings...
                My 7yr old isn't too fond of that idea lol

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
                  My 7yr old isn't too fond of that idea lol

What she doesn’t know...

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                    Can you post pics please!

No pics but it's simple. Imagine a box made of 2x4's laying on their side (to make a 4" deep box) with cross braces to help hold up the hardware cloth (to support the chickens weight). Should be a manageable size cause you gotta move it to plant under it. Can use regular pine 2x's, or treated, or cedar for rot resistance. Follow instructions in previous post for planting.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                      Can you post pics please!

Something like this I suppose. Made out of 12’ boards but can make whatever size you can manhandle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                        We also sell eggs. We currently have a back order for eggs now. We get 5.00 a dozen
                        between all the birds we get on average a dozen a day.
                        DO you have to have a certificate or "license" to sell eggs? We've checked up here near Weatherford. To be able to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                          I've got a raccoon stalking my flock, and between that and an owl (prior to installing a net) I'm down to 5 after starting with 11. On that note, does anyone have some pullets or layers they'd be willing to sell and within 45 min drive from Sanger?
                          I didn't notice if you got your replacement chickens? But we might have some we'd sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                            So my wife bought some baby chickens from Tractor Supply. We have had them now for about a month or so and they have started to develop a red score on top of their beak. It kind of resembles a wart but red. She is all worried now because her mom had some chicks that had some disease and their beaks rotted off. Anyone know what this could be or what they can be treated with?

I have pictures I can text if someone thinks they can help.
                            Cones coming in, hens as well as Roos will have them.

Comment

We got 10 chicks back in March. We lost three to dogs, gained 5 from my wife’s aunt (including a bantam hen and rooster, and lost another to heat. We eventually got rid of the rooster and are back at 9 hens at about 4 eggs a day. The kids love the whole thing. I like the egg sandwiches!

Comment

anybody need some roosters? some of my hens have turned out wrong.....

Comment

Working...
                                X