2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony_2011 View Post
    We have 8 chicks 2 ducks only thing I don’t like is how much food they spill out the feeder does anybody know how to make something or is this just what I have to deal with hahah
    Getting the feeder up high enough that they cant get their feet up into it will help a ton! They naturally want to scratch when they are feeding. They will kick out more than they eat a lot of the time. We do have a little naked neck pullet that scrapes food out with her beak I guess because she cant get her foot up that high lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
      I have one hen that for some reason will not sleep on the perch (at least she is never on it when I go check). She just sleeps on the floor of the coop with the other two perched above her. Is that a problem I need to try and figure out or maybe she is just more comfortable on the floor?
      The birds have different personalities. They also develop a "pecking order". She may just be submissive and decided she would rather sleep on the floor instead of pushing the issue. I notice the same behavior with my quail.

Comment

I buy eggs at heb.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
          I buy eggs at heb.
          I am glad I don't have to.
          Big difference in taste.

Comment

I buy them at H-E-B for the time being too, but my 10 birds are almost at age and starting to get 1 egg per day. Soon to only use farm fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
              I am glad I don't have to.
              Big difference in taste.
              They most definitely taste better and tests show a lot more nutritious too.

Comment

We got our first egg today and made a few upgrades to the coop and run. New sign for the coop and perches in the run.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                  We got our first egg today and made a few upgrades to the coop and run. New sign for the coop and perches in the run.

Hell yea! Hope many more for ya!

Comment

Our birds all started laying towards end of June. Went from 1-2 every few days to 6-8 a day out of 10 birds.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                      Our birds all started laying towards end of June. Went from 1-2 every few days to 6-8 a day out of 10 birds.

I was going to say nice, but your crotch is in the picture...

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        [ATTACH]1004908[/ATTACH]
                        No luck last night, he just cruised by.
                        I gave up on the fox, he was too smart for my trapping abilities. I did see one dead on the road about 1/2 mile from the house so hopefully it was him. I went ahead ran wire under all sides of the pen then covered with dirt/driveway base material. That should deter him pretty well, moved the 19 new chicks to the big pen and evicted the lone rooster I had left. He has made it a week now as a free range rooster.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          I gave up on the fox, he was too smart for my trapping abilities. I did see one dead on the road about 1/2 mile from the house so hopefully it was him. I went ahead ran wire under all sides of the pen then covered with dirt/driveway base material. That should deter him pretty well, moved the 19 new chicks to the big pen and evicted the lone rooster I had left. He has made it a week now as a free range rooster.

When the roster disappears you will know the fox is back

Comment

I've got a raccoon stalking my flock, and between that and an owl (prior to installing a net) I'm down to 5 after starting with 11. On that note, does anyone have some pullets or layers they'd be willing to sell and within 45 min drive from Sanger?
                            Last edited by dhall1414; 07-13-2020, 08:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                              I've got a raccoon stalking my flock, and between that and an owl (prior to installing a net) I'm down to 5 after starting with 11. On that note, does anyone have some pullets or layers they'd be willing to sell and within 45 min drive from Sanger?

Lady I buy from is in Springtown and last I talked to her they were out until September. Seems when COVID and the stay at home orders where first issued there was a run on chickens. Best of luck finding a few

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                                When the roster disappears you will know the fox is back

I'm not so sure, I quit covering holes into the pen after all the chickens were gone and before I saw the roadkill fox. Fox had plenty of chances at the rooster and didn't take em.

Comment

Working...
                                X