Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stud finders...ain't what ya thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Humper View Post
    Why not just pull off the shingles?
    That’s not exactly an easy chore. Especially if you’re doing it yourself.

I’m about to do the same as you with my detached carport/shop. Plan on using 1x4s on existing roof.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
      That’s not exactly an easy chore. Especially if you’re doing it yourself.

I’m about to do the same as you with my detached carport/shop. Plan on using 1x4s on existing roof.
      It's really not that hard. Just use one of these. They sell a similar model at home Depot.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
        Why not just pull off the shingles?
        not necessary and in reality its another layer of protection

Comment

Just a FYI, if you are using traditional R Panels they can span 5'-0".

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
            Just a FYI, if you are using traditional R Panels they can span 5'-0".

But much less likely to bend when walking is spaced 4’

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              Just pull the old shingles off and attached new metal roof directly on to the old decking. They make screws specifically for that purpose. Super easy and don't have to mess with adding purlin or any of that other nonsense. We have done 7-8 roofs this way over the last 15 years and had no issues with any of them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

No, the steel sheets need an air gap to breath.

Comment

Are you sure that the roof will take that much extra weight?

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                  Measure your layout inside
                  go up on the roof measure out where your first rafter should be and use a 3' nail to verify the location
                  I am trying not to have to crawl around inside if I can help it.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  But much less likely to bend when walking is spaced 4’
                  maybe go with 3' centers or 4' wouldn't be that much extra cost.

trying to figure out my materials list. 24x30 with 18" overhang 6/12 pitch hip roof. gonna use R-panel.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                    Are you sure that the roof will take that much extra weight?
                    should...the roof trusses are engineered. To what specs ...I don't know. I bought them from a roof truss company when I was building the garage.

Comment

If you need treated wood then your roof is not doing its job. I would put 3/4" foam insulation in between the 1x4's. Little extra work but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        should...the roof trusses are engineered. To what specs ...I don't know. I bought them from a roof truss company when I was building the garage.
                        I'm not an engineer and have added a second layer of shingles on house before. Most roofs in none snow load areas can stand up to 2 layers of shingles. I think metal weighs less but may want to ask the a metal company to verify.

Comment

Find one and measure 24”.
                          Also, if you’re going to the expense and trouble, put those 1x4 24” center and you’ll have a good roof you can walk on.
                          Otherwise save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With a 6/12 pitch, once I get a metal roof on it...I ain't getting up there again

Comment

As far as stud finders...I can rent my wife out...she found a pretty good stud already

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                                As far as stud finders...I can rent my wife out...she found a pretty good stud already
                                Before you or is this your way of announcing a divorce?

Comment

Working...
                                X