No announcement yet.

Now 7.8 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a pandemic of ttaxidermy starting covid threads. You're up to 8 now. Take a break and go for a walk or something.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
      It's not just the US economy its the global economy. I agree the consequences are far reaching. Maybe its not an either/or??? I don't know. You shut things down to mitigate loss of life or you don't. I'd even argue that letting this run its course would have very similar long term outcomes as shutting everything down.

All data suggest that if left unchecked 80% of world pop catches it. With an actual death rate of .005 (half of 1%). 31mm folks world wide die over the course of the next 1-1.5 years.

I think another big issues is that its a "new" virus. We have not see this before. We don't have a vaccine for it. We don't have natural immunity to it. We don't know how deadly it can become if it mutates further. We don't know where it came from (bat stew or bio lab).

So do you grind things to a halt to buy time for a response or do you let it run unchecked kill 31mm folks and hope it doesn't mutate into something even worse? What other alternatives am I missing here?
      You're the guy who bought all the TP huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        That tells me that we’re all going to be exposed at some point, so we might as well get on with normal life...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Right now approximately 1 out of every 10 people 70 and over diagnosed with COVID-19 are dying. It is almost twice that for people 80 and over.

It isn't just about those with the virus either. It is running through doctors and nurses - the same doctors and nurses who serve the rest of those sick, injured, requiring surgery, etc.

It makes perfect since to "flatten the curve" as they say. These corporate giants who are titans of capitalism are not pushing back one bit on this.

That doesn't mean the world is going to die off or that our economic system is going to fail. It does mean this is a lot more serious that some folks want to believe.

Comment

In lighter news, turkey season for South zone opens the 21st.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            You're the guy who bought all the TP huh?
            No I'm not the guy that bought all the TP.

I'm the guy that works in healthcare and is trying to tell the hillbillies out there running around at the crawfish covid spreader fest this past Saturday that "aint skeerd ah no virus" to stop spreading this **** around and killing lots of folks that wouldn't normally die.

Comment

I'm the guy that works in healthcare and is trying to tell the hillbillies out there running around at the crawfish covid spreader fest this past Saturday that "aint skeerd ah no virus" to stop spreading this **** around and killing lots of folks that wouldn't normally die.
              This!

Comment

Thank you. I needed a chuckle today!! FTR I wasn't at that "Fest"... Lol

Comment

If this mutates into something worse and say 5% of everyone that gets it dies and 20% are severely debilitated for 1-2 weeks what happens to society then? No cops to patrol. No functional health care system. Having special elections to replace 30 dead folks in the house and senate? 20% of the workforce is out for extended periods of time? Again my argument is there are too many unknowns with this crap and not doing anything could be as bad or worse than shutting everything down.
                  So now you want to throw in a mutation that you have no medical knowledge to base it on?
                  This is the kind of fear mongering that this thread is about.
                  Most people are sheep. But not all of us. Go scare sheep somewhere else.

Gary

Comment

What do you do in heathcare?

Comment

It's not just the US economy its the global economy. I agree the consequences are far reaching. Maybe its not an either/or??? I don't know. You shut things down to mitigate loss of life or you don't. I'd even argue that letting this run its course would have very similar long term outcomes as shutting everything down.

All data suggest that if left unchecked 80% of world pop catches it. With an actual death rate of .005 (half of 1%). 31mm folks world wide die over the course of the next 1-1.5 years.

I think another big issues is that its a "new" virus. We have not see this before. We don't have a vaccine for it. We don't have natural immunity to it. We don't know how deadly it can become if it mutates further. We don't know where it came from (bat stew or bio lab).

So do you grind things to a halt to buy time for a response or do you let it run unchecked kill 31mm folks and hope it doesn't mutate into something even worse? What other alternatives am I missing here?
                      Here is the problem. We don't have much data. But the data we do have shows that the number of deaths in China, where this all started, has been going down every day for about three weeks. So less people are dying every day in the most crowded and polluted cities in the world. I know they took extreme measures but when you take a city (Wuhan) with over 11 million people, they are still making contact and still breathing the same air. This ain't ebola and Wuhan is reopening and starting to get back to normal activities.

3,300 people total have died from Corona in China. About 9,000 children die every day from hunger. Why aren't we stopping down the world for that?
                      Last edited by LWC; 03-17-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

If this mutates into something worse and say 5% of everyone that gets it dies and 20% are severely debilitated for 1-2 weeks what happens to society then? No cops to patrol. No functional health care system. Having special elections to replace 30 dead folks in the house and senate? 20% of the workforce is out for extended periods of time? Again my argument is there are too many unknowns with this crap and not doing anything could be as bad or worse than shutting everything down.
                        At that point our leaders need to go ahead and call it what it really is and what I believe they know it really is but are just afraid to say it due to even more public hysteria and melt down, which is Biological warfare..

Comment

Have you seen what is happening in Italy right now? They don't have the capacity to support the influx of patients in the hospitals. They don't have enough ventilators to put all those that need to be on life support on life support. If you are old they are just keeping you comfortable and letting you die. The whole idea here is to slow the spread so our system can keep up with the demand for critical care. When the system is flooded and life support and other critical care systems are not available then the death%%% increases drastically.

If you mom or dad got this and needed a ventilator to help aide breathing during the recovery process would you just say...Oh well, they got COVID they can die??? Everyone seems to think $$$ is more precious than life.

Reading some of these posts makes me wonder how many of yall support abortion. Well this baby will cause financial strain on the system so lets just kill it.
                          My days were known before I was ever born

Worrying won’t add one second to my life

Comment

I get it. The media did none of us any favors early on by politicizing so much of President Trump's - choosing "influencing" over "informing".

I didn't get it until I dug beyond the political coverage on both sides and started reading what people who didn't have a political angle were saying.

We have to slow the spread rate. It should be obvious to everyone why.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              What do you do in heathcare?
                              I own 10 nursing homes across the state of Texas and I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of Kirkland Washington here in in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X