No announcement yet.

Now 7.8 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The time between cases in a chain transmission is less than a week, researchers say, and more than 10% of patients are infected by somebody who has the virus but does not yet have symptoms

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Those numbers are garbage, virtually no one has been tested. Too many exhibit no symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yep, 4% only considers the roughly 200,000 confirmed cases and 8,000 deaths. I'm no statistician but considering that hardly anyone has taken the test, I'd bet the actual mortality rate will end up less than 1%

Comment

I'm repeatedly shocked by the ignorance of some on this site and I should stop. This Virus has a chance to change the World if something doesnt change soon. That change could be anything from slowing the spread, a cure, environmental change etc. Until that happens we as a society have a responsibility to do our part. Having hospitals turn away patients that are truly deathly sick is not something we want. That has already happened in other countries and will happen here barring a change in the mindset of some of you.

Comment

Now 7.8 Billion

Look

It’s a free country.

Go live your life and do your thing.
          Don’t listen to the warnings. If you cost someone their life and you can live with it...that’s on you.

Just stay way way WAY away from me.
          And I’ll do the same.
          We have plenty of supplies now and I have enough stupid pills to pass out should anyone decide they want to come over uninvited and be stupid.

Necessity is the mother of invention and innovation.

The business that survive adversity are the ones that think outside the box and innovate.

Just a thought.

Good luck to all.

I’m out.
          Last edited by BuckySWT; 03-17-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

There's a lot more than being reported having some understanding of Mexico's health system...you think the lack of testing ramped up slow here in the US??

The maquilas down here are still running but all wearing masks / gloves on the lines & Must be a sight!! Cases over there are going to explode in the larger cities very soon due to the a symptomatic contagion issue. I haven't kept up with any actions the various govts are considering taking, but suspect most manufacturing is soon to be a victim if the spread is as predicted.

FWIW Laredo got their first case I was informed today, was not a traveler & has no idea how it was contracted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would be on point if I owned nursing facilities for the elderly as well!! Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
              My neighbor is a stud, ER/trauma surgeon. He worked in and managed medical facilities on the front line in Iraq. He is still a very active physician and is a hardcore conservative Republican. He says this thing is very serious because so many people who have the virus don't have the symptoms or symptoms severe enough to normally even go to a doctor, much less be tested. That is why the testing shortage is so critical and once it is identified it spreads so quickly.

With the flu, when you've got it you know it and folks stay away from you. He said look at the flu, how bad it is each season, and think about how many more people would get it if most of those carrying the virus didn't even know they had it. Way, way, way more. So even if the mortality rate itself is only twice as bad as the flu, multiply that by the total number of people who get COVID-19. That is the fear and the reason for this focus on limiting contact with others. There is just no way to test everyone and know who should self quarantine or not.

So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                I was trying to find the ages of the covid19 deaths here in the USA....couldn't find anything. The 48 deaths in Washington, all at the old folks home?
                I agree all the deaths I have heard about have been elderly. I'll give my opinion as to why. They are fragile and get accustomed to functioning on a very fragile immune system. Once anything new comes in it can't take it and they pass away. They are considered natural deaths. Just like when a major cold from blows in, many people on hospice die due to the drastic change in climate and the body cannot keep up. This is just my observation from working on patrol ( no science to prove) but I knew once a cold from hit, I would get 2-3 more hospice calls

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                  So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

Sent from my iPhone
                  OK, but I'm not sure what your point is. COVID-19 is far more contagious and the mortality rate is 3%. But that is probably inflated and they are hoping about half that. But say it is 1/3 of that - 1%. Compared to the flu which is .1%. probably half that. But say it is just a third - 1%. So if the same number of people had the flu as led to the 12,000 deaths you refer to above - that translates to 120,000 deaths.

I wish people would get over trying to play this down. Yes, the media has fueled a hysteria which has caused folks to panic and act like fools. And yes, the markets have overreacted. But it is going to be so much worse if we don't slow the spread of this.

Imagine how many more people would have the flu if the majority of people who had it showed no symptoms and were walking around among us everyday. Going to school and playing with other kids. Flying in airplanes. Sitting in stadiums.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                    No I'm not the guy that bought all the TP.

I'm the guy that works in healthcare and is trying to tell the hillbillies out there running around at the crawfish covid spreader fest this past Saturday that "aint skeerd ah no virus" to stop spreading this **** around and killing lots of folks that wouldn't normally die.

Take care not to injure larynx falling off that high horse.

There is a whole state full of rational adults who’ll never fully comprehend the apocalyptic nature of this flu without your childish proselytizing...

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
                      Just went grocery shopping in Rosenberg at Kroger- business as usual just no Tp and zero signs of panic. Everyone was just going about their own business.....
                      Didn't read the whole thread. But no TP is NOT business as usual

Comment

The number given at the press conference today was .7% death rate overall.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                          Take care not to injure larynx falling off that high horse.

There is a whole state full of rational adults who’ll never fully comprehend the apocalyptic nature of this flu without your childish proselytizing...

Just trying to be as direct as possible. There are many irrational folks out that really dont understand the gravity of the situation. Sometimes it takes a unique and stylistic approach to frame the situation in a way that they may better grasp its significance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

OP, here is my question for you, what happened in Italy?

How did they go from only 3 cases to over 30,000?

I read this, but it was found on a google search, but no idea how reliable the info is - https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/211712...taly-hospitals

I've gone from this is being blown way out of proportion to on the fence post.

Thinking about Italy I accept the fact they, like us, said its only a couple of folks and they are isolated. The problem with this virus are the people that are A-symptomatic. They are infected, but feel fine. The go about their day and interact with other people. Each person that come in contact with, they may or may have not infected, and thus they carried on and pass the virus on.

What I think POTUS is not saying is, we need to self isolate for 15 days or longer, get the testing capabilities deployed, and then determine who is or isn't infected. He can't say that is because it will result in full blown colasp of the stock market. We're headed for a recession and the so called, "D" word is being used.

The bottom line is we all need to recognize this thing is here, the best we can do and avoid spreading it by avoiding one another.

We need more testing so we can determine who is and isn't infected. Once we do that we can turn the corning. Our boarders are closed, we need to secure the southern, but once we know who to isolate and care for those not infected will be able to get back to normal.

We help those that are infected, get them through this and stamp out this virus.

But as the experts have said, this will probably get worse before it get's better.

Here is a site you can see how this grows -

Once the test becomes more available, I suspect our numbers are going to go up.

Comment

The good new is the Australians are getting ahead of this, they have found the HIV drug is killing the virus in a small sample size. If this is true it is great news since it is already available and don’t have to go through safety trials

Comment

This is the craziest thing ever! I just really hope the small businesses can stay afloat with the cities shutting everything down. That's the major concern.

Comment

Working...
                                X