X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
    3800 sf? That's crazy. Why?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    EDIT: 2,872 sq/ft! I fat fingered the 3...

Comment

We’re considering the same thing as we are about to send one off to college. I’m about to turn 46 and we would like to scale down in preparation for a shorter term loan & reduced property taxes. To me it’s logical as we focus more on preparing for retirement 15-20 years out. Good luck

Comment

Go for it! We are planning on going from our 2500 sq ft home to a 1200 sq ft cabin with a shop this summer. I'm actually enjoying the hail out of throwing crap away that we haven't used in years. Our current place is almost 40 years old and we've dropped close to $100,000.00 into it in the last 6 years with no end in sight. HIGHLY looking forward to all new

Comment

Some days I wish we had more square footage, but if I was really that concerned with it I would convert out garage to living area and built a shop. Still might do it one day.

2000 sqft for a family of 4 and it’s plenty. We decided to have more outside space than inside space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t know what you owe, but have you considered making current home a rental (sounds like a sought after area to raise a family)? Nice to have mailbox money coming in later in life.

Comment

We downsized 2.5 years ago from 2750 heated and cooled to ~1500sf. We knew the big house wasn't going to be our final place and my parents health was failing. We bought a 90 plus year old place just a couple doors down from my folks and rebuilt it. It is nice to not have a mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                3800 sf? That's crazy. Why?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                What's really crazy is that guy living in a 340' FEMA trailer ^^^^^.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  Don’t know what you owe, but have you considered making current home a rental (sounds like a sought after area to raise a family)? Nice to have mailbox money coming in later in life.
                  That's actually not a bad idea, but I don't want to deal with landlord obligations. I work shift work and don't need possible costs/repair time added to my free time.

Comment

We just downsized from a 2800' log house to a 2000' simple home on 45 acres that we built. Now I can hunt from my back porch! Lol. I would choose single wide over a double wide because of efficiency. I was the GC on our home and we got a lot of bang for the buck. For us it is a dream place! This is a great idea to consider all options and to get lots of input. And don't be afraid to think outside the box. Perhaps buying raw land and moving a fixer-upper on to the property etc. could be an amazing idea. We bought our land which already had utilities, and moved a single wide mobile home on there and rented it out for four years before we finally built our home. The single wide served as a great job shack as we built on the property. It was a great day when we moved that single wide away !

Comment

I put a singlewide on my 40 ac place and plan to build there in the next 20 years but the trailer is nice enough now for the weekends and vacations with the wife and kids. I'd go the rental rout with your current property. I've kept and all of my other properties and rent them out (they are all paid for).

Comment

We sold our 2,500 sf house in Houston and renovated a 1,200 sf cabin on Toledo Bend Lake.

Some hard choices had to be made on what we kept and sold. So glad we did it for many reason. Some of the stuff we had in Houston we realized we did not really need. Had the stuff because we had room. I just built a 12’x20’ shed/shop for my stuff. Thing I miss the most is my 2.5 car detached garage.

Comment

We wanted to, but when we found our forever home, we actually upsized with a bigger home, a guest house and acreage!

Comment

I’m planning on moving an RV or tiny home/cabin onto our 57 acre farm in Watauga County, NC.

I’ll move before my wife joins me to start building additional fences and a small home.
                            Last edited by Wyatt 545; 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cur_Dog View Post
                              We sold our 2,500 sf house in Houston and renovated a 1,200 sf cabin on Toledo Bend Lake.

Some hard choices had to be made on what we kept and sold. So glad we did it for many reason. Some of the stuff we had in Houston we realized we did not really need. Had the stuff because we had room. I just built a 12’x20’ shed/shop for my stuff. Thing I miss the most is my 2.5 car detached garage.

That sounds amazing! Too bad no fish in Toledo...

Comment

Originally posted by Cur_Dog View Post

I know for sure we have Stuff we don’t need, too. I also plan on building a barn/shop that would help with storage.

Comment

Working...
                                X