Miracle On Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Setting here watching the movie Miracle, for about the 200th time. I’m a little bit obsessed with the whole story, the players, the political times, and Herb Brooks style.

I’m not old enough to remember it, but I’m curious what some of you guys older than me remember about it? Also curious about personal stories you may have about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did they win the Gold AGAIN? I use to do a Team Building program from Miracle On Ice. Watched it 4 Time a year with a class and broke it down on how Herb built his Team. And yes they always won........

Comment

Great moments are born from great opportunities.

The legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf.

Comment

I remember it well. I was 25 and the only Hockey game I’d ever been to was a Dallas Blackhawk’s game back in the seventies on nickel beer night. There were more fights in the stands than on the ice.
        Beating the Russians was not supposed to happen and thus “The Miracle”!

Comment

I was 11 or so when it happened. I, or my family, were not and still aren't fans of hockey but I remember the feeling of pride in the USA that I felt and remember my stepdad telling me "you will have to live a lot of years to see its like again"

Comment

I was 15, I remember it but I was more into girls and hotrods at the time. I guess I need to watch the movie sometime.

Comment

I was 12, remember watching it with my family. Had no idea at the time how big a deal it was. Truly an amazing feat.

Comment

I was 10...soon to be 11 and I can remember my whole family and some family friends sitting around my grandparents "big" Curtis Mathis console TV in the small town of Taft, Texas. Very few of us knew much about hockey but we caught on quick during the Olympics and for sure knew what a goal was. I can specifically remember my MiMi getting up and saying she needed to take a nerve pill during the game!.. Don't know why that stuck with me all these years but it did. I can also remember everybody being proud to be an American way back then compared to now. Good times.

Comment

I don't remember the game but do have kinda neat story about the game. Back in the late 90's me and some guys were hitting some rodeos up in the NE and after leaving Syracuse we stopped over in Lake Placid. We went into one of the local sport bars and the walls were lined with memorabilia from that game. The owner put in a re-run of the game for us and we sat there and watched it along side some of the locals who were actually there. Man the beers were flowing and it got loud. Even though everybody knew the outcome it was still exciting with bunch of yelling and cheering. Great memory.

Comment

I was only 6 but I do remember watching it with my Dad. I don't remember the game as much as my Dad going crazy when they won. I love that movie as well and watch it whenever it comes on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      I don't remember the game but do have kinda neat story about the game. Back in the late 90's me and some guys were hitting some rodeos up in the NE and after leaving Syracuse we stopped over in Lake Placid. We went into one of the local sport bars and the walls were lined with memorabilia from that game. The owner put in a re-run of the game for us and we sat there and watched it along side some of the locals who were actually there. Man the beers were flowing and it got loud. Even though everybody knew the outcome it was still exciting with bunch of yelling and cheering. Great memory.

I e never seen the actual game, I’m gonna find it.

Comment

I was 10. My old man was into hockey and he and his buds would take us kids to Aeros games so I was pretty versed in the rules and can remember feeling there was no way we could beat them. It was a great game to watch.

Being 10 I had no real idea of the screwed up world we were living in and the effect it had on the USA as a nation. As I got older this aspect made the game seem so much bigger than I thought of it as a kid.

There was a documentary about that game made years ago that included interviews from some of the Russian players and they gave their story about that game. Years later they were still in disbelief of how they got beat by a bunch of kids and the black eye they put on Russia was far worse than they could have imagined. They pretty much thought they would all be killed when they got home.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          I e never seen the actual game, I’m gonna find it.

You definitely need to see it, Dale. One of, if not THE, best sporting event ever.

Comment

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but some of the comments remind me of a "experience" relating to not knowing much about hockey.

A friend and I went up to the Red River area hunting on a neighbors property...with permission.

No luck.

On the way home, just North of Paris we tried to tune in the radio. Don't know how it is these days, but back then (mid 70's) twern't much on.

We came across a broadcast: " He takes a shot on goal, kicks it back out to the blue line, a lot of cross checking going, slaps back over to the wing"

My friend and myself look almost simultaneously at each other and say "what in hades are they talking about?" It finally dawned on us that it was a hockey game.

Not being real familiar with hockey, it took a while to sink in.

Comment

I love that movie and watched it last night with the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                                I love that movie and watched it last night with the wife.
                                We have the DVD in the camper at the deer lease, I bet I've seen it 50 times...no idea where it came from.

Comment

Working...
                                X