Tundra Owners - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by itsgood1308 View Post
    In some of the forums I’ve read issues with timing belts and the leaking water pump. At some point they switched over to a timing chain I think. Not sure.
    Correct the 5.7 has timing chain. Although I had a 2002 with a timing belt and put 230,000 on it without changing it and never experienced a single issue. I have a 2016 with the 5.7 now with 90,000 on the odometer with out a single issue. Just change the oil and drive em.

Comment

About a year ago I traded in my King Ranch and went back to Tundra's. I had one several years past but always got bored and switched brands.

When I retired in 2017 we wanted a 4x4 with plenty of power and towing that would hopefully last and last. After a long search we traded for a 2015 1794 edition that has the interior to compete with the King Ranch.

I don't tow any RV's with it but I can say a 16' Tandem trailer with a UTV crew will easily pull and at least for me it does not even seem I'm pulling with the 5.7. MPG is not good towing depending on road grade, but I've never worried about MPG with 4x4 that I need.

IMO there is NOT a better gas truck for power and dependability than the Tundra.

Comment

It'll do fine.
        Get bags or better yet, a weight distributing hitch. That's a lot of tongue weight.

Comment

My ‘04 just rolled 297k miles and I haven’t had a single mechanical repair outside of routine maintenance. I bought it new in December 2003 with four miles on the odometer.

Comment

My 2011 has 263k on it and I pull trailers and stuff all the time, I take it to Illinois Waverly year with a 16’ trailer with no issues. Awesome trucks

Comment

You guys with 4.7' that have timing belts really need the replace time when recommended (every 80000miles) if it breaks at speed you'll be looking at lots of money to repair that interference motor.

Comment

Only problem with the Tundra is the payload capacity. With a 800lb tongue weight, you are already over half of your payload capacity. I think they are conservative on the rating though. Mine pulls our 29’ TT with no problem other than mileage.
                Last edited by captainsling; 02-12-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                  Only problem with the Tundra is the payload capacity. With a 800lb tongue weight, you are already over half of your payload capacity. I think they are conservative on the rating though. Mine pulls out 29’ TT with no problem other than mileage.
                  That is the biggest thing I have heard about the toyotas. I am looking to get another truck. Tundra is on my list. I want to pull a travel trailer when I retire in a few years, but I won't pull heavy very often. I think I could live with the MPG.

Comment

2012 5.7L that rolled over 149,000 on the way home from work today. Hit a mule deer running 70 mph a couple years ago and had $15,000 worth of damage done to it. Other than that and changing out the breaks and struts, I haven't had to do a thing to it. I honestly believe it drives just as good today as it did when I pulled it off the lot. Will be hooking up you a 30 ft tongue pull travel trailer in two weeks and driving from lubbock to the northern end of Toledo bend. I've done this every year since 2012 with this current pickup and have no complaints with it. I drove an F250 the two years prior. It handled the overall weight a little better, but I had to put that thing in the shop more than I wanted to for either a lot of this or a little of that. My two tundras (had an 06 with the 4.7 in it before I bought the F250) have been the most maintenance/problem free vehicles I've ever owned and will not hesitate to buy another when the time comes.

Comment

What trim level ...options should be asked about...I want 6.5 bed

Comment

I may be the oddball here but, I went from an 02 Ford 7.3 into a 2010 tundra 5.7 4x4 and when it comes to towing the tundra was a dog. Just no comparison between the 2. The tundra was fine as long as I didn’t hook up a trailer to it. I kept it for less than 6 months and sold it. Good luck with the search

Comment

Originally posted by slomo View Post
                          I may be the oddball here but, I went from an 02 Ford 7.3 into a 2010 tundra 5.7 4x4 and when it comes to towing the tundra was a dog. Just no comparison between the 2. The tundra was fine as long as I didn’t hook up a trailer to it. I kept it for less than 6 months and sold it. Good luck with the search
                          You're comparing a diesel 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton gasser. Gonna be a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                            You're comparing a diesel 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton gasser. Gonna be a big difference.
                            Which is ironically what the original poster is doing. And coming out of one with the exact same motor. I think his input was valid.

Comment

I do appreciate the input either way. There’s no doubt my powerstroke is an absolute beast in front of any sort of weight. However convincing my wife to trade vehicles for a day or taking long trips in it with two car seats in the back is a joke. The best of everything simply doesn’t exist, but I’m thinking for my purposes going back to a Tundra is a good option. I’ve also considered the Silverado and Ram, but I’m not hearing of the same level of dependability there.

Comment

I had 170k on my 2012 crewmax when I traded it in this year and it never missed a beat. I put that truck through hell and back. I sure wish Toyota would make a 3/4 ton diesel pick up.

Comment

Working...
                                X