No announcement yet.

2020 catfish thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man y’all are making me want to go get my boat and go set some lines in the lake! Too bad state parks are all closed!

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      So I am a bass fisherman and have only catfished in summer by baiting standing timber. This time of year say on Rayburn how do I catch catfish. Lol

I haven’t fished a lake since I was a kid but I’d run a string of free floating jugs through timber or across shallower flats baited with shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
        I haven’t fished a lake since I was a kid but I’d run a string of free floating jugs through timber or across shallower flats baited with shrimp

Yep those shrimps are hard to beat for quantity.

Comment

I'd feel weird about using shrimp for bait I freakin love eating shrimp. lol...

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            Yep those shrimps are hard to beat for quantity.

Best bait for the eaters and easy to come by usually

Comment

We used to use crawdads on trotlines and sack them up. Of course we had stock ponds that we could seine for the crawdads.

Comment

I know Buchanan is know as a striper lake. Is catfishing good on it as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                  I know Buchanan is know as a striper lake. Is catfishing good on it as well?
                  It used to be at least. I had an uncle that lived in Austin years ago. He and his fishin' buddy fished Buchanan a lot and caught plenty of catfish, both blues and ops. That was over 30 years ago tho.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbrown View Post
                    Always wanted to set trotlines, this quarantine gave me a bit of time to put one together, Roughly 200 ft long with 24 7/0 circle hooks with loops for weight at the on each end and in the middle. Plan on using a combination of black salties and live perch, can any of you pro's give me any tips on what to look for when setting the trotline up?

For river fishin, you might want to cut that line up into smaller lines. A 200 foot trot line in a river unless it's a big river, can be tough to manage. I like to set them above and below bends in the river on the outside of the bend above and inside of the bend below it. If it's a big bend with a nice eddy in it, fishing the bend on the outside of it can be really good. Just think about where debris or small bait fish would be driven by the current and that's where you want to put your lines.

Good luck.

Comment

Has anybody had any luck recently on Conroe for the catfish on the bulkheads? We have tried mid-lake and north/south side and can't seem to find them in large numbers. I do know there are plenty of shad along the bulkheads.

Comment

They should be there now and for another month or so. Keep moving. I like bulk headed points. Water needs to be about 70 degrees. If you pull up and don’t get a bite in 5 minutes move. Also fish right on the bulk head. Not 5 feet from it. Also try areas that have chunk rock. I like at least 3 feet of water on the rock or bulk head. I will cut threadfin shad in half. Gizzard shat are filleted. I also like a #3 circle hook. No need to set the hook. Just reel them in. They will bite all day with this type of weather.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieSportsman View Post
                          Has anybody had any luck recently on Conroe for the catfish on the bulkheads? We have tried mid-lake and north/south side and can't seem to find them in large numbers. I do know there are plenty of shad along the bulkheads.

Look at the Conroe smack down thread.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Had a decent morning for some blues this morning on Livingston. Shad came in but didn't stay long.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Red-Fin, I want in line for those give aways :-)

Comment

Kids did well yesterday. 8 keepers.
                                We are in Livingston at the mouth of the Trinity.

Comment

Working...
                                X