No announcement yet.

Washing machine quality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop GE UltraFresh Vent System 5-cu ft Stackable Steam Cycle Smart Front-Load Washer (Sapphire Blue) ENERGY STAR in the Front-Load Washers department at Lowe's.com. At GE Appliances, we bring good things to life. Our goal is to help people improve their lives at home by providing quality appliances that were made for real

Just make sure to remove shipping bolts.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    link? I'm always down to look at a good review set.

Comment

We're on our second set of Maytag o24 years of marriage and she was using them before we were married they just keep running. Im

Comment

We went with the Speed Queen TC5. No frills washing machine it is designed like the old school washers. Some of the other SQ washers had some fancy stuff on them, but we didn't need that stuff. Just wanted clean clothes. It is beast and gets the job done. My clothes are always covered in dirt and mud or grease. They always come out clean. Wife really like that it doesn't have a lid lock, if you missed something and need to throw something else in, Don't have to shut it down just to throw a sock in.

I'd recommend staying away from the big box stores and go to a true appliance store. The person there has likely been in the business for years and can explain in detail anything you want to know.
        Last edited by RatherBhuntin; 03-17-2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Mcneills appliance in Denton Texas is where I got mine. 7 yr bumper to bumper warranty from speed Queen. Best dang washer and dryer I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see a lot of mentions of about SQ quality suffering recently. .. enough that it kinda concerns me.
            I’d noticed that same thing, too, so I went to the ultimate source for objective consumer product testing, the Bible of consumer reviews… Consumer Reports, and to my shock and horror(!), LG and several Whirlpool models handily beat out Speed Queen (I mean, LG? C’mon…).

HOWEVER, when I drilled down to the six criteria used in their evaluations, two of them had to do with efficiency (water and energy) and only one related to the efficacy of cleaning clothes. And, guess what? When you focus on the “cleaning” criterion to the exclusion of the “energy efficiency” criteria, SQ scored 5 out of 5, beating out most all other brands whose aggregate score put them at the top.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I see a lot of mentions of about SQ quality suffering recently. .. enough that it kinda concerns me.
              That has not been our experience. It gets the job done and is actually pretty quiet. Added bonus for my wife is she can put a comforter or a load of beach towels in without worrying if the weight is too much or if the spin cycle will get enough water out.

My wife is pretty picky and I don't like to repair stuff that shouldn't break. SQ works for us.

BTW, she is also extremely opinionated about dishwashers. That can really get her spun up.

Comment

I shop for one based on features and controls (lack of, i should say). I just want a couple temps, basic wash cycle, simple controls and as few features as possible. It just washes or dries, you don't need all the bells and whistles, that is just more crap to go wrong. a W/D is not an interior design statement, they are just tools to clean your clothes

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                  I bought my first home last May and read this exact thread before shopping for washer/dryer. I had decided on an "old school" top load speed queen but two different stores steered me towards the comparable maytag due to SQ "not being what it used to."

Ended up with the commercial Washer and Dryer (gas). 1 year full warranty. Years 2-10 cover drive motor and drum. You can tell by listening to the washer that its got some power. I doubt it would have any issues washin' the gunk off your drawers

They've always got some sort of promotion going on. I paid around $850. I know most will complain but I'm hoping I, like you, wont be shopping for another for 20+ years.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-Comm...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

After much research and endless youtube videos, this is what we ended up going with. Thanks for the links and suggestions everybody. Who'd have thought buying a W/D would be such a PITA..

I bought them from Maytag directly. The reviews for this specific commercial pair were off the charts and the $200-250 discount per unit was hard to pass up compared to the SQ and others. Plus they discounted another 10% because my wife is a college professor.... Win Win! Free delivery, free removal of old units and $30 install including the plugs ( worth it why not?). We got out for just a little more than buying a Lowes or Home Depot residential unit. Hopefully Ugly Betty and her husband Earl, the dryer, last the rest of our lifetime.
                  Last edited by Smart; 03-18-2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    I shop for one based on features and controls (lack of, i should say). I just want a couple temps, basic wash cycle, simple controls and as few features as possible. It just washes or dries, you don't need all the bells and whistles, that is just more crap to go wrong. a W/D is not an interior design statement, they are just tools to clean your clothes

That's pretty much what everybody suggests these day. They are just not as available like they used to be. I could have thrown a dart and hit any HE fancy gadget model I wanted. I wanted something with good water amounts

Comment

Speed Queen again!!! you can google the local mom and pop appliance stores and alot carry them. Western Auto in Dayton did or still does...

Comment

What Maytag unit? Commercial or Home Depot/ Lowes models ?
                        We have a Maytag Bravos MCT washer from Lowes. Had it 2-3 years, and it's been good so far. Most old school-ish one we could find, and they had good reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                          That has not been our experience. It gets the job done and is actually pretty quiet. Added bonus for my wife is she can put a comforter or a load of beach towels in without worrying if the weight is too much or if the spin cycle will get enough water out.

My wife is pretty picky and I don't like to repair stuff that shouldn't break. SQ works for us.

BTW, she is also extremely opinionated about dishwashers. That can really get her spun up.

Re: dishwashers (or any appliance, for that matter), I’m with your wife.

I’d b curious to know what dishwasher she uses. She’s probably even a better resource than Consumer Reports!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Re: dishwashers (or any appliance, for that matter), I’m with your wife.

I’d b curious to know what dishwasher she uses. She’s probably even a better resource than Consumer Reports!
                            We have a KitchenAid at the lake (probably 10 years old now) that she absolutely HATES! Doesn't clean worth a dang and relatively noisy. I may actually break down and replace it even though it's not broken. We went through multiple dishwashers at our house until we finally just bit the bullet and bought a Bosch. She LOVES it. Extremely quiet. Many times I have to look at the floor (it shines a small red light straight down) to see if it is running even though I am standing right by it. But most importantly, it does a great job cleaning without leaving residue.

Truly a case of happy wife, happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                              We have a KitchenAid at the lake (probably 10 years old now) that she absolutely HATES! Doesn't clean worth a dang and relatively noisy. I may actually break down and replace it even though it's not broken. We went through multiple dishwashers at our house until we finally just bit the bullet and bought a Bosch. She LOVES it. Extremely quiet. Many times I have to look at the floor (it shines a small red light straight down) to see if it is running even though I am standing right by it. But most importantly, it does a great job cleaning without leaving residue.

Truly a case of happy wife, happy life.

Thank you for the information.

I currently have two Kitchenaid dishwashers in my kitchen. They are 13 years old and I have been very happy with both. However, if I had to replace them tomorrow, I’m not sure I’d get the same quality in with a Kitchenaid that I did years ago.

Interestingly, when I bought the Kitchenaids, I was also considering a Bosch product. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a whole lot of information related to their repair history generally available at the time and, on top of that, very few appliance repairmen were Bosch certified. I think that’s all changed now and will definitely take another look at them when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What Maytag unit? Commercial or Home Depot/ Lowes models ?
                                Lowes, supposedly ‘Commercial’. Still has the old skewl agitator. It supposedly is an issue with the board and the lid lock sensor ‘safety’ feature. When I was pulling what little hair I have over the issue I was experiencing, it was a common issue n the inter-webs. Unplugging between uses has worked so far.

As for SQ, I almost pulled the trigger on a washer until I found out the water pump they were using was the exact same one that failed in the previous Maytag I was replacing.
                                Last edited by Greenheadless; 03-18-2022, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X